Both QB's played very well!

BIGREDIOWAN

Anyone listen to TA's post game presser? This kid is a QB and a leader and gets IT. He talked about how he was always younger in HS and played with jrs and srs and he was still called upon to be a leader so he is used to it. He said when they took the field, in the huddle he told everyone that they needed to take the pressure off the D so they needed to go down and score. Then after SDSU scored right back, he said again, in the huddle, he said, ok it's alright that they scored, now we just need to go right back down and score again. Both times they did. His presser was so interesting compared to TMs pressers. The dialogue is SO totally different. This kid is a leader and knows how to motivate an offense and make them believe. One of the biggest things from a TM presser this year that sticks in my mind is that whatever game it was, the offense started inside the 10......TM comment was well we were inside the 10 so we knew that wasn't a good situation.....or something to that effect......REALLY.......that is the mentality of the best QB NE has? I didn't buy it the last couple of years and I REALLY don't buy it now. TM is probably a great kid and gives his all.......but that doesn't make him our best option (no pun intended). He isn't a confident leader and it shows. Again, for any of you that have listened to TMs pressers with a puzzles look on you face.....go watch TAs........you will feel much better about the state of our future and if we are lucky that won't mean next year.

What a spot to be in, both QB's played very well.

Both QB's "what" played very well, exactly?

Agreed. Both look good.

I read that Beck said he was trying to do too much with the offense. They thought they had a lot of experience coming back so they could do more. They decided to be more focused and I'm sure even more so with less-experienced QBs. Not saying that's the only reason we look better but I bet it helped.

Yup. Blessing in disguise, if we go with TA or RKIII in lieu of Taylor Martinez--folks were chatty about Beck throwing too much on the offense's plate early on, and newer QBs will continue to force Beck to pare down the plays/looks/packages and refine what we do have.

I suppose it's good we get this done during non-con instead of figuring this out the week before the Michigan game, yes?

What are you trying to ask me? I thought the thread was pretty straight forward? They both played well, pretty good spot to be in as a team with two good back-ups in case Martinez continues to be hurt or has issues in a game.

Ok, I like Taylor, so there' s no 'Taylor-bashing' here but I wonder: Have we sacrificed former games because we didn't let these other two qb's play? I'm sorry but Tommy A. reminds me of Tommy F. That kid's got an arm! And Ron too! Oh my gosh! It was actually FUN watching that football game yesterday. I know, I know..it was SDSU However, there were other games in the past where you wonder if we could've won if Bo would've changed qb's? Just wondering. Any thoughts?

I think we saw them in a game against a team that really isn't what we'd call a quality opponent. And while I think both looked great, Bo and the staff have also seen far more of all the QB's than we have. If they think TM is what we need to win, then I'm willing to trust that. I also know a lot of people are just gunning for TM to be replaced and won't be happy until he is, though.

Ok, I like Taylor, so there' s no 'Taylor-bashing' here but I wonder: Have we sacrificed former games because we didn't let these other two qb's play? I'm sorry but Tommy A. reminds me of Tommy F. That kid's got an arm! And Ron too! Oh my gosh! It was actually FUN watching that football game yesterday. I know, I know..it was SDSU However, there were other games in the past where you wonder if we could've won if Bo would've changed qb's? Just wondering. Any thoughts?

yes.

I think we saw them in a game against a team that really isn't what we'd call a quality opponent. And while I think both looked great, Bo and the staff have also seen far more of all the QB's than we have. If they think TM is what we need to win, then I'm willing to trust that. I also know a lot of people are just gunning for TM to be replaced and won't be happy until he is, though.

Ok, you make a great point. But lets figure out this quality opponent thing. I think that SDSU would beat Wyoming. And if they are not a quality opponent then why is our defense giving up 465 yards in total offense to them? As far is offense is concerend, TA and RK3 did exactly what they were supposed to with a non quality opponent. Everything was fluid. Smooth. TA has moxy. Intangibles are hard to find. If Martinez has turf toe then and a bad throwing mchanics then what good is he really? Is a healthy Martinex better than either one of the guys who played on Saturday? TA picked up 3 3rd and +8s. We stayed on scheule. When we do go back to Martinez in the bye week YOU WILL SEE THE DIFFERENCE. I think this is the reason we havent see much of either of them this year.....Bo wants to avoid controversey.

Hi EbylHusker. About what you just said, that's just who coach Bo Pelini is. He is a 1 quarterback guy for a head coach. I too have been waiting to see him drop different guys in at the position during the course of many games -- the way coach Dr. Tom Osborne always did. But that's just coach Pelini for you. I wanted to cry during the Nebraska-Wisconsin debacle a few years ago when Russell Wilson just overwhelmed Taylor Martinez in that blowout loss. I kept thinking, isn't there something we can do? Unfortunately, no adjustments were made at all---and we suffered through it. Now, I love what coach Pelini does on defense --- and Randy Gregory is going to be a star....but his lack of willingness to work in several different players on offense has always placed me in a bewildered state of mind. I remember how Tom Osborne would exercise depth to where if he saw QB #1 was struggling (Mike Grant for instance back in 1990), he would shift in QB#2 (Mickey Joseph). And later on in 1997, coach Osborne would sometimes use Frankie London as a relief pitcher to come in for Scott Frost to assist in the flow of the game as that combo worked in Nebraska's win over Daunte Culpepper and Central Florida. I am very hopeful though that Pelini will adjust in the future and become more flexible with the use of Armstrong to assist T-Mart. The way Nebraska QBs get hit so often, it would make sense to use more than 1. I mean, coaches rotate at every other position like at RB, WR, and OL....Why not at QB too?

TM is better than most give him credit for. None of the teams we've played have had good defenses, including UCLA (though they are by far the best out those we've played). That is the only thing that matters in terms of quality when you're talking about our offense compared to who we're playing.

Bo needs to win games, and has needed to win them his entire time here. To think he's playing what he feels is an inferior QB to avoid controversy is just fantasy. That's approaching alien conspiracy level nonsense.

I have no doubts Armstrong will be a better QB in the long run than Martinez. But in the end, as I said, Bo and his staff have seen far more than any of us regarding these QB's. One game against a weak defense isn't enough to judge, so unless you can provide me with more than nutter theories, I'm going to support whatever Bo's decision is.

We can throw it 15+ yards with accuracy now!

Let me correct your post and say we were able to throw it 15+ yards with accuracy TODAY..........what happens in the future remains to be seen!

And if Beck dialing it down is what created the flawless flow on offense TODAY, then maybe we should stick with that when TM comes back.....because there was a huge difference in the way the offense executed today vs the first 3 games this year.......maybe too much is being put on a 4 year starter despite those 4 years of experience that are so intangible.

Yeah, Im not afraid of a controversy........I had to go there! :ahhhhhhhh

I keep hearing this, but in what way did Beck dial down the offense? It seemed to me, and to Eric Crouch, that it was the same offense, except with a down field passing game. So if anything, he dialed things . . . up.

And regardless of the opponent, there's no denying both Armstrong and Kellogg throw a better ball.

• Fire 2

We can throw it 15+ yards with accuracy now!

Let me correct your post and say we were able to throw it 15+ yards with accuracy TODAY..........what happens in the future remains to be seen!

And if Beck dialing it down is what created the flawless flow on offense TODAY, then maybe we should stick with that when TM comes back.....because there was a huge difference in the way the offense executed today vs the first 3 games this year.......maybe too much is being put on a 4 year starter despite those 4 years of experience that are so intangible.

Yeah, Im not afraid of a controversy........I had to go there! :ahhhhhhhh

I keep hearing this, but in what way did Beck dial down the offense? It seemed to me, and to Eric Crouch, that it was the same offense, except with a down field passing game. So if anything, he dialed things . . . up.

And regardless of the opponent, there's no denying both Armstrong and Kellogg throw a better ball.

+1

3oddef.jpg

Tommy A throws a lot better than Tommie F ever did. So far I can give TF an edge on running ability, strength, and intangibles. However, the fact that we are even having this conversation should be an exciting situation. The funny part is the loyalists clinging to TM or that RK III should be the guy because he's a 5th year senior walk on. RK III can't run the full offense because he is very slow. That right there should be enough since it is pretty clear both guys can throw better than TM.

I think that SDSU would beat Wyoming.

Uh, no. Don't think so.

On another note:

The backups looked very good. Great poise in the pocket and accurate passing.

Throwing nice passes against SDSU is one thing, they aren't known for pass defense, even in the FCS. Throwing against a BIG10 pass rush and coverage is another.