Why Do We Cut & Paste the Entire Thread in Our Posts?

Bowfin

If this isn't appropriate, then I'm okay with deleting it.

When debating something said in another post, it is often helpful to copy and paste what was said into your post. However, what is with copying and pasting the last three pages of the thread?

My guess is that some here don't know how to cut and paste a statement and then use the quote HTML to mark it as a quote.

Here is how it is done:

1. Find the statement in the other post you wish to include in your reply. Highlight it by right clicking the mouse, holding the right click, and dragging it across the sentence, paragraph, or however much needs to be included.

2. Once everything is highlighted, hit CTRL and C simultaneously, which is old school keyboard for "Copy"

3. Now go to the window of your reply. Left click where you want the quote to be, and press CTRL and V simultaneously. That will put the statement (or "paste" it) into your reply

4. Now highlight that statement by right clicking the mouse button, dragging the pointer across the statement until it is al highlighted.

5. Now find the quote icon in the toolbar. It will look like the caption bubble you see in cartoons. Click on that, and there will be a quote in brackets at the beginning of what you want to quote, and a quote with a slash at the end. It won't appear as such when you post your reply, it will put it in a box that denotes it is a quote.

Feel free to improve or correct these instructions as needed. My guess is that the amount of server space taken up by unneeded and unnecessary quoting of the entire thread would be huge.

If a person doesn't know how to do something and no one shows them, then they will continue not doing it. As an IT (computer) guy, I run across things like this more than one might think. Last week, I showed an office worker how to save a Word Document to "My Documents"...she has had a computer on her desk since Windows '98...but no one showed her how or explained to her why. Same with another guy who had a computer for eight years on his desk and didn't no how to send an e-mail...he could reply to one that was sent, but nobody showed him how to originate one himself.

Yes, please stop quoting half a page in your posts. You people that constantly do that are no better than a monkey pounding on a typewriter. If you geniuses still can't figure it out, the other way to do it is to quote the post with the button and then click-drag to highlight the majority of the redundant stuff to delete. It's not hard. The "best fans in college football" can't even figure out how to post properly in an online forum. Bravo.

Okay, I went to play with the quote buttons at the bottom right hand corner...

:bad :bad :bad

this post has been brought to you by the quote buttons at the bottom right hand corner

• Fire 1

^Thank you.

Please do this, guys.

I'm editing out some stuff that I see and marking it as 'edited by moderator' in hopes that people will start to do it on their own. If you're quoting a 5-paragraph post, and your post is going to come right after it, for Pete's sake, don't include the entire post in the quote.

The quote feature is nice, but please try to trim the quoted content to what is necessary.

If this isn't appropriate, then I'm okay with deleting it.

When debating something said in another post, it is often helpful to copy and paste what was said into your post. However, what is with copying and pasting the last three pages of the thread?

My guess is that some here don't know how to cut and paste a statement and then use the quote HTML to mark it as a quote.

Here is how it is done:

1. Find the statement in the other post you wish to include in your reply. Highlight it by right clicking the mouse, holding the right click, and dragging it across the sentence, paragraph, or however much needs to be included.

2. Once everything is highlighted, hit CTRL and C simultaneously, which is old school keyboard for "Copy"

3. Now go to the window of your reply. Left click where you want the quote to be, and press CTRL and V simultaneously. That will put the statement (or "paste" it) into your reply

4. Now highlight that statement by right clicking the mouse button, dragging the pointer across the statement until it is al highlighted.

5. Now find the quote icon in the toolbar. It will look like the caption bubble you see in cartoons. Click on that, and there will be a quote in brackets at the beginning of what you want to quote, and a quote with a slash at the end. It won't appear as such when you post your reply, it will put it in a box that denotes it is a quote.

Feel free to improve or correct these instructions as needed. My guess is that the amount of server space taken up by unneeded and unnecessary quoting of the entire thread would be huge.

If a person doesn't know how to do something and no one shows them, then they will continue not doing it. As an IT (computer) guy, I run across things like this more than one might think. Last week, I showed an office worker how to save a Word Document to "My Documents"...she has had a computer on her desk since Windows '98...but no one showed her how or explained to her why. Same with another guy who had a computer for eight years on his desk and didn't no how to send an e-mail...he could reply to one that was sent, but nobody showed him how to originate one himself.

1. Get frustrated with excessively long quoted posts.

2. Write excessively long and inefficient post giving a five-step guide for how to quote a post.

3. ?????

4. Profit

(just for fun I decided to quote the entire post)

• Fire 1

It's really not that hard to use the quote button, then delete out some of the previous stuff. Faster than copypasta a bunch of crap, put it back into quotes, etc.

And you can really come up with some creative results by deleting out stuff. LINK :lol:

• 2 months later...

..Yada x 3...

MY right or Your Left?

For some reason all the mieces I've used employed the Left button drag for highlighting