I understand that you don't want him fired and I don't either. However I don't believe you can use one argument as supporting a past coach and dismiss the same argument that also applies for another.

Sure, the University makes a lot of money as a result of our football program. However, when we are talking about student-athletes, I'm going to need more convincing that this is a true business.

I agree. I thought, and still think, Pelini was an above average hire. There are obviously more qualified head coaches out there, but Pelini's resume was pretty good before he came here.

Just for clarification, I don't want Pelini fired, but that's not going to stop me from saying someone like Petrino would be a good hire if Pelini left in the near future.

I hate working in hypotheticals, but consider this. Let's say another program and Nebraska both wanted Petrino at year's end, and for whatever reason, Petrino had Nebraska as his first choice. We pass on him for moralistic reasons and hire somebody with a less impressive resume, but our hire is a "good guy." Petrino goes to the other program and has them winning conference titles in a couple years and competing for national titles, while Nebraska lingers in that 9-10 win range. TONS of fans would be sitting at home thinking "maybe we should've hired that guy..."

Is Nebraska willing to sacrifice a little moral integrity to win again? I know it sounds awful, but a high level program is likely going to come calling for Petrino in the future. I think many underestimate this state's desire to win, and many have forgiven and forgotten about Petrino's transgressions. It's just something to think about. Does the program settle for a less impressive coach in the name of integrity or make a bold move to win? I'd be interested to see how it played out if that scenario ever came to fruition.

I am not in the slightest above giving people second chances.

I told someone in a PM awhile ago while I served my time in HuskerBoard jail that we have the resources and meaning to hire anyone we really want. If we decided to look in another direction and we bought Saban I have no doubt that we would win a lot of football games. But the sanctity of this place would be gone if the coach would run it like an SEC program. For example do we want to:

1) Treat kids like cattle and cut scholarships to non-contributors

2) Blatantly cheat in recruiting

3) Have numerous off the field issues

The first two are the ones you could all but guarantee and I am personally not about that.

Tom Osborne was all about winning. He was. But it wasn't that you won, it was the journey to the win; some call it "the process."

Like I said, we could hire a guy like that and sell our souls to win, but then you may as well take the "In the Deed, the Glory," off of those stadium walls.

Who me

2182152313_322e635a95_o.jpg

Well, now that we can dismiss the Fitgerald and Charlie Strong talk. This weeks new flavor of the week has to go to Gary Pinkel and Purdue's Hazel. Purdue put a salty fight against Michigan St and Missouri, well, we all know what happening there. I would take these guys in a heart beat right now.

Honorable mention goes to Jerry Kill at the moment. That team is playing inspired right now. The only reason it's just honorable mention for him, is because it's quite documented that Kill really didnt have anything to do with the past couple games.

LOL.

One of you old timers remind me since I am too young (or too old) to remember. Who is the architect of the Blackshirt Defense back in the Devaney era. I want to say Warren Powers but I am probably screwed up.

Oringinally Coach Kelly and then Monte Kiffin took over after Kelly departed!

SB Nation CFB@SBNationCFB 15m

It took two months, but Hot Seat Watch can now be titled "London is burning." http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/10/24/5022548/college-football-hot-seat-watch-week-9-mike-london-mack-brown … by @HS_BHGP

Bo Pelini, Nebraska

Last week: Off

Record: 5-1 (2-0 B1G)

Years: 6

Overall record: 54-21

School record: 54-21

Three-year record: 24-9

Salary: $2,875,000

Three-year dollars per win: $359,375

Buyout: $4.5 million

Football ratio: 65.4%

Subsidy: None

There's been some pushback to my contention that Bo Pelini needs to win a Big Ten championship to survive until 2014. The argument is that a division title is a great achievement for Nebraska, and that making the head coach's position contingent on defeating a top-five Ohio State team that hasn't lost in two years is unrealistic. These arguments are logical, and would apply almost anywhere but Nebraska.

Alas, Nebraska fans are anything but logical about their football program. Ask Frank Solich, who was handpicked by Tom Osborne to continue his legacy. Here is a rundown of what Frank Solich did in his first four seasons: 42-9 overall record, three division titles, one conference championship, a national championship game appearance, a Fiesta Bowl win and three finishes in the AP poll top eight. Two years later, after going 9-3 and recording more wins in his first six seasons than either Osborne or Bob Devaney had, he was fired. "I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity," the athletic director said. In the nine seasons since Solich's firing, Nebraska has yet to win a conference title, appear in a BCS bowl game, or lose fewer than four games in a season. Yet many Nebraska fans still believe it was the right move.

So we have a university athletic program completely dependent on football -- that football ratio is as high as you'll see anywhere -- with a fan base and administration that sees conference and national championships as their birthright. Not only has Pelini failed to deliver either of those things, but he openly, if not publicly, attacked them as bad fans. Getting past that hurdle is going to take more than just another nine-win division title and January trip to Florida. Pelini needs something extraordinary.

• Fire 1