Do we still like the Big 10?

But the Big10 in basketball and vollyball is like the SEC in football. In fact, probably better. Let's face it, the Big 10 just isnt the football juggernaut, and being from Nebraska, that's understandably tough to swallow. But trying to use that as reasoning to say the Big 10 in general is weak is complete nonsense. On the the whole, the Big 10 is one of if not THE elite conference in the country. It has always been that way and always will. Football will comeback around. It's cyclical. It always has been.

Edit: I failed to add the important snippet that since the Big 10 is perceived as down in football right now, I understand why that is used to generalize the whole conference as weak, or not elite beins football is THE king dog of intercollegiate athletics. But I'll tell you right now, the SEC aint got sh#t on the Big 10 in basketball and volleyball.

But the Big10 in basketball and vollyball is like the SEC in football. In fact, probably better. Let's face it, the Big 10 just isnt the football juggernaut, and being from Nebraska, that's understandably tough to swallow. But trying to use that as reasoning to say the Big 10 in general is weak is complete nonsense. On the the whole, the Big 10 is one of if not THE elite conference in the country. It has always been that way and always will. Football will comeback around. It's cyclical. It always has been.

Edit: I failed to add the important snippet that since the Big 10 is perceived as down in football right now, I understand why that is used to generalize the whole conference as weak, or not elite beins football is THE king dog of intercollegiate athletics. But I'll tell you right now, the SEC aint got sh#t on the Big 10 in basketball and volleyball.

Football pays the bills period! There's a reason KU hasn't been invited to join nearly every conference in the country. Everything is cyclical, and the cycle right now is a general population shift from the rustbelt to the southern regions. Until manufacturing and such crank up if they ever do again in the rustbelt, this will continue. This was one of my biggest fears joining the B1G was the recruiting. I'm just afraid when we look back ten years from now that opinions and such on our move might look extremely different. It only took about ten to twelve years to realize the Big 12 was a mistake.

Additionally, if the Big Ten ever wants to be relevant in football again, all of the schools really need to get away from stronger (yet slower) players. Football is a speed game now. Physical players just get flagged nowadays

Is Alabama not physical? Is LSU not physical? Is Georgia not physical? Heck, no one knows it but Oregon is physical, Stanford is physical, Washington is physical. The teams that aren't physical, are the same teams Nebraska is playing, and NU is also one of them.

Additionally, if the Big Ten ever wants to be relevant in football again, all of the schools really need to get away from stronger (yet slower) players. Football is a speed game now. Physical players just get flagged nowadays

Is Alabama not physical? Is LSU not physical? Is Georgia not physical? Heck, no one knows it but Oregon is physical, Stanford is physical, Washington is physical. The teams that aren't physical, are the same teams Nebraska is playing, and NU is also one of them.

You proved my point

You proved my point

How did I prove your point. My point was completely opposite of you. Uh What?

Whatever. All im saying is the whole slow crap with strength doesnt work anymore. We need speed. Just a little tipsy dont get all worked up. The point is if ur going to beef up players and lose the speed, the football team isnt going to go far. The Big Ten as a whole does not have the speed to compete with other conferences.

Whatever. All im saying is the whole slow crap with strength doesnt work anymore. We need speed. Just a little tipsy dont get all worked up. The point is if ur going to beef up players and lose the speed, the football team isnt going to go far. The Big Ten as a whole does not have the speed to compete with other conferences.

I disagree. Of course you need speed to a degree and size and strength too when it comes to your linemen but in the end it's boils down to the same things, talent and good coaching. You could field an entire team of sprinters out there and if they're only sub par football players they're going to get beat. Being fast doesn't do you any good if you can't catch a football or know how to make a tackle and everything else to goes along with being a good football player.

It's not like Nebraska or other Big 10 teams are slow. It's talent and having a well coached team that are the difference.

The B10 has a better record in BCS bowl games than the B12. The B10 puts more players in the NFL than the B12. The B10 has more NFL pro bowlers than the B12.

The B10 has more starting punt returners in the NFL than any other conference. In 2011 the B10 had 5 defensive linemen drafted in the first round (including reigning NFL defensive player of the year), a feat which I'm almost certain no other conference has managed and definitely not the SEC. B10 linebackers seem to lead the NFL in tackles every year, B10 linemen are always right there for sacks, and everyone from B10 safeties to linebackers to linemen have featured near the top of forced fumbles lists in the NFL in recent years.

There is plenty of talent in the B10's geographical footprint. Nebraska's problem is that it's located at the fringe of that map. Compared to the B12's, it has both far more people and far more African Americans, who feature disproportionately on D1 football rosters. While the Midwest is the slowest growing part of the country in terms of population, much of the population in the South and South West is driven by Hispanic Americans, who are dramatically underreprested on D1 football rosters given their population share.

Also, the popularity of basketball in B10 population centers probably keeps a lot of talented kids off B10 football rosters (It doesn't help that the B10 region sends less than 50% of its 4 and 5 star BB players to the conference, meaning Midwestern kids are winning scumbags like Calipari titles.)

I am extremely happy being in the BIG TEN. While football may be down I've always felt that the BIG had a level of prestige to it that was lacking in the Big XII. Just about everyone in the BIG has a great deal of tradition. When I look at the lineup of schools in the BIG and the XII I think the BIg Ten lineup is much better overall.

Watching Iowa State getting screwed against Texas last night mad me much happier to get away from that joke of a conference.

• Fire 1