Do we still like the Big 10?

It was the best move from a conference stability and academic standpoint. I guess I wasn't taking the OPs question that deep. I took it as, "do you like playing football in the B1G?" My answer to that is, "Meh".

We called the Big Ten the "Big Slow Conference" for years, until we joined it.

My question was on an "overall basis". I think that the one thing that hurts the Big 10 is that it seems so "old-fashioned". To me, it's the "grumpy old men" conference. Other than the BTN and trying to expand that to as many TV's, as possible, the conference doesn't seem to be very "forward-thinking". That's just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.

Scholastically speaking, it was a great move. Athletically, it wasn't that great of move. I use athletically somewhat tongue in cheek because football is the reason the rest of the sports program are able to exist. When I was in college back in the mid-90's, the only two sports programs that ran in the black were the football program and the men's basketball program. Considering how poor we've been in men's basketball, I'd assume they no longer run in the black. From a football standpoint, it really hasn't been great. The top dog Ohio State was on probation. Then the Sandusky scandal placed a black eye. It should get better. Meyer's addition to the conference should strengthen recruiting. However, Tressel kind of ran away with the conference for so long that I'm just not sure. The conference is stable, and the money is there. As long as the recruiting in Texas doesn't suffer, we're probably in a better place.

It was the best move from a conference stability and academic standpoint. I guess I wasn't taking the OPs question that deep. I took it as, "do you like playing football in the B1G?" My answer to that is, "Meh".

We called the Big Ten the "Big Slow Conference" for years, until we joined it.

My question was on an "overall basis". I think that the one thing that hurts the Big 10 is that it seems so "old-fashioned". To me, it's the "grumpy old men" conference. Other than the BTN and trying to expand that to as many TV's, as possible, the conference doesn't seem to be very "forward-thinking". That's just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.

I was watching everyones favorite network ESPN the other night. They brought up the question about whether college athletes should be paid. Then they showed a quote from the B1G commissioner coming out heavily against it. He said those who want to be paid should be allowed to just go from high school to the pros. This is somewhat forward thinking. He was forward thinking enough to start the mega conference bidding war. However, he wasn't very forward thinking when it came to the playoff system.

I like the Big Ten for several reasons that I am sure were mentioned.

Bigger "Name Games"

I live in MN so I see more Husker games now than with the Big 12

More reason to watch BTN

Better geographical fit

I just hope moving forward that when we go to 9 game conference schedule that the 3 OOC games can feature more teams close to Nebraska. Former Big 12 North, CU, Missouri, Wyoming.... I think it makes a better schedule.

Bigger "Name Games"

More reason to watch BTN

Better geographical fit

I just hope moving forward that when we go to 9 game conference schedule that the 3 OOC games can feature more teams close to Nebraska. Former Big 12 North, CU, Missouri, Wyoming.... I think it makes a better schedule.

Is it a better geographical fit? The Big Ten is now spread from the Mountain time zone (if you include Western Nebraska) to the East Coast (including Rutgers & Maryland). Yes, it's great for alumni in those areas, but it makes it hard for fans in Nebraska to get to those areas. That's why I am in favor of the East/West divisions. Most of NU's football games will be driving distance from Omaha/Lincoln.

Bigger "Name Games"

More reason to watch BTN

Better geographical fit

Is it a better geographical fit? The Big Ten is now spread from the Mountain time zone (if you include Western Nebraska) to the East Coast (including Rutgers & Maryland). Yes, it's great for alumni in those areas, but it makes it hard for fans in Nebraska to get to those areas. That's why I am in favor of the East/West divisions. Most of NU's football games will be driving distance from Omaha/Lincoln.

Sorry. I meant better geographical fit for ME. Now I can go to several games if I choose in 6 hours or less. Give or take.

Except for the meddling of Texas in the administration of the Big 12, I liked being in that conference more than the 10. I don't get the same feeling with 10 schools as I did with the longstanding 12 rivalries. It seems like we're out here at the end of the world ,where dragons be, and most games feel like OOC games against teams I hardly know. The rivalries with K-State, Oklahoma, Missouri, and even Texas were something to get worked up about. I suppose those kinds of rivalries will develop over time ,but I'm not feeling it now at all. Our recruiting also appears to be suffering as well because of the move. On the plus side, the BTN is outstanding and I doubt we'd have ever gotten that kind of great coverage from the 12.

I'm glad you guys joined and I'm looking forward to playing in the west each year. You guys may not care aside from the Iowa game and it probably feels like the Big 12 North again but I care about all of them except Purdue.

I really hope that they change you with Iowa for the game after Thanksgiving.

http://espn.go.com/c...pionships-sight

"Those numbers can be significant when comparing the number of sponsored NCAA sports by league. According to athleticscholarship.net's John Infante, the Big Ten's median number of varsity sports (24) is higher than the ACC's (23), SEC's (20), Pac-12's (19.5) and Big 12's (18). No Big 12 or SEC school sponsors 24 or more sports, while six of the 12 Big Ten squads do."

The Big Ten is more focused on overall sports and not just football, which is a good thing to do I suppose. You offer more opportunities to athletes in Olympic sports but we spend about 10% less on football than SEC and Big 12 schools. Football is the sport that gets all the focus though and the Big Ten is perceived as weaker than other conferences. We now sponsor 24 sports after the university added sand volleyball.

I'm sure it's better for Nebraska. And I don't put a lot of stock into the Big 10 Network, because the days of pay-per-view (I pay almost 100/year to have the channel with Time Warner) were pretty limited anyway. We were going to have an option of some sort in the next few years had we stayed, I'm sure of that.

As for my personal feelings on the matter...I'd take the Big 12 (assuming CO and Missouri are still in it) in a heart beat. Being a fan in KC isn't nearly as much fun when no one in the area really cares about B1G football. You neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc are all following KU, KSU, MU, etc and the discussion is Big 12 almost all the time. Which means we're not a part of the discussion down here anymore...and I'm a guy that spends A LOT of time at the bar bullshitting about sports, so it kinda sucks for me.

It's been three years and Big12 teams other than Texas are still having to resort to PPV or get no tv coverage at all. Hell even OU has had to to PPV. Eventually we'd come up with something but it wouldn't be on the sports-tier of cable or satellite. It would cost. Plus BTN covers more than just football and you get shows like BTN Live to watch too.

I am really proud that Nebraska is a part of the Big 10. Besides Ohio State and Iowa I have a lot of respect for every school in the conference. For me it's great having Northwestern here. I can catch a Big 10 game right in my own back yard and it's great when the Huskers make a visit regardless of the sport. Great schools, good academics, great history.

I'm happy.

• Fire 1

I think in every aspect it is a step up. I think we would all be happier if we lived up to what we expected our football team to be.

I do think it makes it harder on the local fan that normally traveled to the games though. But someone mentioned traveling through Iowa, Illinois and Indiana were boring, must not have made many Colorado games I guess.

I am glad we are there, but wish we could make a better showing. I am afraid in the conference we will never attain what we want. Recruiting is going to continue to dwindle compared to the Big Boys, and we just cannot afford to give all the talent to Michigan and Ohio State.

I really do not like the new schedule, pretty much eliminating Ohio State and Michigan. That was the main draw for me. Of course it will make it easier for us, but I have never thought much of taking the easier path. It will have an adverse affect when they go to the 4 game set up.

I think we'd probably feel better if we had one of our '90s teams competing right now..although there's no guarantee they would consistently beat the teams of this era..and even if they could, the overall weakness of the conference would pretty much negate any prestige of beating today's conference teams.

But screw Football, or sports in general...We should be reaping the benefits of the research institution thing if we ever get accredited again..just in time to have a college that our sports teams can be proud of.