Bo and Paps

Just so I've got this straight, Illinois is an unquestionably good offensive team because they have beaten Cincinnati, white Miami, and Southern Ililinois (by 8 pts) and they kept it within ten, scoring 24 pts against Washington? And my observation that today Sheelhaase couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, was immobile, and their notorious power running game gashed us numerous times is just my delusion? Ok, gotcha. One question though, if they're such a power and we played so well, why was Bo so irate with Paps? Clue- it was a lot deeper issue than just the too many men substitution problem. But flame away anyway, I'm not pumping sunshine so I must be crazy.

Also, Pap could have walked away but chose to take it so if he doesn't mind getting his ass chewed on TV why should I?

exactly, pap knew what he was getting into when he took the job (i hate this argument, but also the salary). if he did not, or thought it would be a cushy job, that explains a lot, but then he needs to go.

Just so I've got this straight, Illinois is an unquestionably good offensive team because they have beaten Cincinnati, white Miami, and Southern Ililinois (by 8 pts) and they kept it within ten, scoring 24 pts against Washington? And my observation that today Sheelhaase couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, was immobile, and their notorious power running game gashed us numerous times is just my delusion? Ok, gotcha. One question though, if they're such a power and we played so well, why was Bo so irate with Paps? Clue- it was a lot deeper issue than just the too many men substitution problem. But flame away anyway, I'm not pumping sunshine so I must be crazy.

i think you are completely right. i think there was improvement, but we will need to see a lot more if we want to have any confidence going into november.

Our defense has had it taken to them by much less (or comparable) offensive teams this year.

So what we saw today (substitution issues aside) was really, really nice. Especially with the blatant holds Illinois got away with.

No doubt. We played pretty decent, better than usual, and not near as bad as we have against some lesser teams. My only point is, I feel we can do much better and am still concerned about the numerous teams left on our schedule that appear to be much tougher than the Illini we faced today. Maybe I should just enjoy the win and keep my concerns to myself.

Sorry, but Bo absolutely was an embarrasment to the program today.

Paps deserves heat for all the defensive screw ups, but he is a grown man. Not a boy. And you do not treat your DC like that on the sidelines in front of his players, much less the entire television audience. You don't treat players like that either. You don't even treat bad children like that. This wasn't a momentary lapse either. Bo just kept going and going and going and every lip reader knew what he was saying and you could watch the players giving them a wide berth and that's a really, really bad look in the last minutes of a game you've won by 20 points. Kenny Bell of all people goes over to console Paps. Paps is in over his head, but this is bad head coaching mojo.

I watched the game with my neighbor. I had him over because he went to Illinois. He doesn't follow much college football because, well, he went to Illinois, and he knew nothing about the various Pelini controversies. But he knows a lot about coaching and sports and he thought the guy looked like a total a-hole. I really couldn't argue with him. This defense is on Pelini's head, and browbeating your own hand-picked DC like a spotty intern doesn't speak well of Bo Pelini. If you're not from Nebraska, you can't help rooting against this guy.

Unbelievable...

+1, po.

what did the other people at your house think of bo?

Jeebus f'ing kriest. Another "my neighbor from ________ thinks Bo is an a-hole" story. Good greif.

I'm glad I wasn't the first or the last one to think this.

Yes, JJ you are right.

But...

Here's where the arguments are coming from. For two weeks now this defense and staff have been shredded. Then when folks with perspective try to say they'll get better, we get the "what have we seen to make you think that?" thought. Well, they got better. Plain and simple. So it's possible. This is going to be a pretty solid unit by year's end. We keep seeing flashes of brilliance, and with each passing game, with more and more frequency.

The other part is for two weeks now it's been hammered over and over how much this Illinois offense was gonna light up our own scoreboard all afternoon. I said a few days ago they wouldnt get 20. I got roasted pretty good by some. Hate to pull the "I told you so card" but I did. Becuase I have faith-and more important, understanding and perspective-that they'll get better and that theyre young. But that's too much to ask for I guess. It's just easier for the asshats and their preconceived opinions to just change the tune and say "Illinios sucks" and throw out the long "but" list.

I get that Mr. A. In fact I was one who thought they might light us up. But that belief was based solely on comments on HB about how good Sheelhaase and their offense were. I hadn't watched them play one down before today. Hell I picked them for the upset in the game prediction forum. Boy do I feel stupid after seeing what little they had to offer today. Sure some of that was because our D played better (thankfully) but I also got the distinct impression I had been misled about Sheelhaases capabilities. If he would've thrown as much as I expected, we would've picked him a couple more times and would've destroyed them. But they went to the run a lot and we had some very real noticeable problems with that. Overall I'm pleased because our D seems to be moving in the right direction. I'm just concerned it might not be quick enough for our opponent in three weeks.

In all fairness, Bo and Paps had 2 weeks to practice for this Illinois team. Let's see what the defense does when they have a week to practice against a team like the previous few week. We shouldn't have much of a challenge against Purdue, but after the second bye week we will see if anything has changed or not.

Unfortunately, one game does not raise my faith in this team. I'll continue to hope they will get better but definitely will not be holding my breath. Been let down far too many times to just jump the gun again.

The problems we had today with the run were pursuit angles and really nothing more. Not nearly as many missed assignments.

I saw Leroy Alexander make one of the best reads by a safety on our five yard line today. He came up, made contact about two yards after the LOS where he should have, he just wasn't physically strong enough to make the play it seemed.

There is so much talent on our defense it's stupid. There are going to be the growing pains that we expected, but we saw some real improvement today.

Pursuit angles pursuit angles pursuit angles.

Until that last garbage drive when we were literally f'ing around trying to get new faces in the game against their tempo and so on, we had held them to 10 points and less than 300 yards. Not to mention, there was a couple instances where the D rose up to get a stop when Illinios had opportunities to flip the momentum UCLA style. I needed to see progress-not the finished product, just progress-today and I got it.

JJ, I wasnt specifically calling you out as a pessemist either, just so you know. I was just making a general statement of some of the thoughts about todays game. Also, I relate a lot of what I here from around home here, as opposed to just on the board. I here a lot of stupid ass sh#t outside the board.