Martinez v. Armstrong

That was an old school Husker beat down of an overmatched opponent, so dominant that our mistakes really didn't hurt us.

Did someone just use the phrase "our offensive struggles"?

Let's just enjoy a four quarter game on both sides of the ball for a couple weeks.

We've come quite a ways when it's happened more than once this season that people are complaining about our offense after they put up 500+ yards or 40+ points.

I know our offense is designed to revolve around a running threat at QB, but it seems our offense has a more than capable capacity to deliver with RK3 at the helm. At this point, he also adds something Armstrong doesn't bring to the table. I'd like to see Ronny get part-time snaps the rest of the year regardless of who the other guy is - TA or healthy TM.

Really like the way RK3 throws.

Also, enough with this stalker talk, both sides. Vent it out in the Woodshed or just leave it off the board entirely, please. And I'm sure we'd appreciate a breakdown of TA's technical miscues.

• Fire 1

I think RKIII is more than capable of effectively running the offense, and truth be told, he's probably the best pure passer we have on the team. The balancing act is deciding whether that throwing ability is more valuable than TA's throw/running skills. TA obviously had, for all intents and purposes, a pretty bad game Saturday. But, if receivers hadn't dropped some catches, who knows how the rest of the game may have played out. Turner was within inches of scoring a TD and Enunwa dropped some good throws. Perhaps if those catches are made, TA isn't put in the same positions to throw INT's at other points in the game. All hypotheticals, but something to think about.

Enunwa dropped 3 passes straight up. One was a diving attempt for a TD. I'll give him a break here, but it's still a catch he makes more times than not. Then, he also dropped that real pretty ball right over his shoulder on that sick scramble by TA. Then the 3rd one was on a slant, hit him right in the hands, though it was behind him, and was intercepted. One less pick, 2 touchdowns, and a 58-7 instead of a 44-7 win, and the perception and outlook is way completely different on this game and the near future, all based on 3 drops.

• Fire 2

Enunwa dropped 3 passes straight up. One was a diving attempt for a TD. I'll give him a break here, but it's still a catch he makes more times than not. Then, he also dropped that real pretty ball right over his shoulder on that sick scramble by TA. Then the 3rd one was on a slant, hit him right in the hands, though it was behind him, and was intercepted. One less pick, 2 touchdowns, and a 58-7 instead of a 44-7 win, and the perception and outlook is way completely different on this game and the near future, all based on 3 drops.

Nice job.

I'm fine with this. But considering we're in a thread about Martinez vs. Armstrong, are we giving Martinez all the benefits of the doubt and what ifs as well?

Also, I don't think the entire thing is based on three drops. He did throw some good balls the the receivers missed. But he also had several passes where he clearly wasn't on the same page with the receivers, in addition to making some bad choices that led to picks.

Oh, that 2nd one, yeah...I remember groaning when we missed it. It was a beautiful play. The third one though probably gets put on TA, if he's running across the middle of the field and TA throws it behind him.

Taylor's done that a lot and I've criticized him for it, either for incompletions or causing guys to adjust back and fall down and not get YAC on a YAC-designed play. So it's only fair. Big difference in the boneheaded drop and the almost-great-catch.

But yeah, a few more connections here and there and it's a drastically different day. Still, it was what it was: a freshman QB who looks the part but got thrown by the defense and made bad plays. Time, coaching, experience will (hopefully) fix it.

I believe why Armstrong is having accuracy problems, he doesn't have full confidence in the knee he plants on. He is throwing with his shoulder in the air, causing the ball to be over thrown.

I also don't think that TA had great "pocket presence" and he had times where he panicked. His INT in the endzone is an example of panicking. There was also a COMPLETELY overthrown ball, where he should have just thrown it out of bounds on. The kid panicked more than just once, but this is expectable for someone in his position.

I think we call all agree, that the most consistant QB we have seen in the last 6 games, is RKIII. I don't want to really see him start, as I want TA to get as much as he can in, but I definitely don't mind seeing more of him.

Are we playing the what-if game? It is my favorite!

What if Tommy Armstrong throws a ball into quadruple coverage, and instead of Kenny Bell making a stupid no-look one-handed catch for a 40-yard touchdown, it is intercepted like it easily would have been?

Even with your hypotheticals, TA would have had have only had a 50% completion rate and two horrendous interceptions against Purdue, the 83rd best passing defense in FBS.

• Fire 1

I'm fine with this. But considering we're in a thread about Martinez vs. Armstrong, are we giving Martinez all the benefits of the doubt and what ifs as well?

Also, I don't think the entire thing is based on three drops. He did throw some good balls the the receivers missed. But he also had several passes where he clearly wasn't on the same page with the receivers, in addition to making some bad choices that led to picks.

I always give Martinez the benefit of the doubt. But as I've said, theres just been an extra smoothness to offense since Tommy and Ron have taken the reigns. Now we wont know if that's a credit to Tommy and Ron or to adjustments that Beck has made until Taylor returns. I'm just making a point that I dont think Tommy's management of the offense was as subpar as it seems. It was a pretty bland game plan regardless. Nothing really fancy going on, and we did what we wanted for the most part.

It was definitely not a gameplan you would take to Ann Arbor. Suffice to say though, had it been the Big House and Tommy played with that disregard, the results could have been disastorous. Michigan is clearly not the world beater they were built up to be but Im glag TA got to play warm up on the road against Purdue and maybe Minnesota before being thrust into the fires of Maize and Blue or Happy Valley. Call me pessemistic but I just dont think Taylor finishes the season if/when hes comes back. The injury bug claims another Senior, and its a real damn shame. Hope magic can lace it up for us but it doesnt look good.

Hypothetical:

Tommy takes us to the Big Ten title game while Magic heals up. Then come title game week Taylor is healthy and good to go. Who plays?

Tommy. Then if Tommy struggles, you bring Taylor in for a change of pace maybe, then go from there.

Too difficult to be messing with team chemistry, timing, and the rhythm you have established all season long just to change it up in the big game.