Recruiting Concerns

I was going to wait until later to put that down, but since you bring it up now... Let's squash it, shall we? :D We are #40, before Clinkscales, still looking to fill the class with at least 5-6 more players, with several players who need/should be getting an expected boost in their ratings. So I don't know what math some of you people do, but that looks like we'd have to move up to at LEAST #39, imo... Seriously though. You're looking at a top 30 class.

(Not directed at you Po)

I'm curious what we're looking at for numbers.  I thought we might have quite a bit of room with some of the guys leaving and being put on hardship but I got to looking at it yesterday and we're closer to the limit than I thought.

Assuming we get those currently committed (through Waz), I have us at 80 scholarships for next year.  From what I hear we could lose another one or two (Guy sounds like he's gone.  I have no idea if there's anything with Okuyemi.)  But there are also another current walk-on or two that would probably deserve a scholarship (Burtch probably deserves it.  Reilly and Foltz probably won't get one unless we have extras.).  But, depending on those situations, we have five openings by my count.  Anyone have any idea on anyone else?

Five more would make a pretty good class.  Clinkscales sounds pretty good and possibly Slade.  Those two might finish off our defensive line.  I assume we're still looking for another RB if available - I'm still hoping for Ballage.  Probably still looking at another CB - Cockerill?  Maybe one more or two at the most and that would probably finish us up.  Unless I'm missing something.

3 guys were just put on medical hardship - Wullenwaber, Ashburn, and someone else who's slipping my mind... Either way, that opens up 3 more potential scholarships. Did you already have that factored in Mav?

We are looking at 6-8 more after Waz and Clinkscales (assuming here) commits.

Here's what I have including the current commits:

Seniors (14) - Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell, Tyler Evans, Jamal Turner, Jake Cotton, Matt Finnin, Mike Moudy, Mark Pelini, Jay Guy, Tobi Okuyemi, Zaire Anderson, Joshua Mitchell, Corey Cooper, Harvey Jackson

Juniors (17+2 JUCO) - Imani Cross, Andy Janovich, Taariq Allen, David Sutton, Givens Mordi Price, Ryne Reeves, Zach Sterup, Chongo Kondolo, Randy Gregory, Kevin Williams, Aaron Curry, Max Pirman, David Santos, Daniel Davie, Jonathan Rose, Charles Jackson, Mauro Bondi plus Robert Lockhart and Terrell Clinkscales

Sophomores (19) - Tommy Armstrong, Terrell Newby, Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, Sam Cotton, Cethan Carter, Paul Thurston, Corey Whitaker, Greg McMullen, Avery Moss, Vincent Valentine, Maliek Collins, Kevin Maurice, Jared Afalava, Thomas Brown, Michael Rose, Josh Banderas, Nathan Gerry, LeRoy Alexander, Gabe Miller

Redshirt Freshmen (13) - Johnny Stanton, Adam Taylor, Kevin Gladney, Greg Hart, Zach Hannon, Dwayne Johnson, David Knevel, A.J. Natter, Courtney Love, Marcus Newby, Boaz Joseph, Drake Martinez, D.J. Singleton

Non-JUCO Commits (15) - Zach Darlington, Larenzo Stewart, Monte Harrison, Demornay Pierson-El, Freedom Akinmoladun, Tanner Farmer, D.J. Foster, Mich Stoltenberg, Peyton Newell, Jaevon Walton, Trai Mosley, Chance Waz, Luke Gifford, Josh Kalu, Drew Brown

That's 80 with the commits we have right now. I did find one extra (still had T. Brown in the list). I would guess 4-6 more would be what we're shooting for, depending on who's interested and who else might be leaving.

Interesting look from 247 at the current national title contenders and their recent recruiting along with some underachievers. Missouri definitely the outlier in the recruiting rankings. Also listed their top five underachievers - Florida, Texas, USC, LSU, Georgia and Oklahoma who've averaged Top 10 classes over the last five years. Honorable mention underachiever status to Tennessee and Michigan.

Interesting look from 247 at the current national title contenders and their recent recruiting along with some underachievers. Missouri definitely the outlier in the recruiting rankings. Also listed their top five underachievers - Florida, Texas, USC, LSU, Georgia and Oklahoma who've averaged Top 10 classes over the last five years. Honorable mention underachiever status to Tennessee and Michigan.

Florida definitely. USC has an * w/ the sanctions. I can't see LSU as an underachiever. 13 losses in 5 years? I think we'd take that in a heartbeat. Same with Oklahoma's last 5 years, nothing to complain about. Texas had a couple rough years, but all seams to be back on track. Georgia...hmm, maybe. I'd think Michigan is worse than 4 or these 5 though. They might just be a QB away from an 11 win season though.

I'm concerned about numbers, but also the effort this staff puts into recruiting at times. When they get to out, they do really good job of getting kids on board, but they dont do enough during the year, imo.

I'm also concerned about getting too many jucos and not enough high schoolers I this class, causing the logjam/drought that we currently see at CB.

Florida definitely. USC has an * w/ the sanctions. I can't see LSU as an underachiever. 13 losses in 5 years? I think we'd take that in a heartbeat. Same with Oklahoma's last 5 years, nothing to complain about. Texas had a couple rough years, but all seams to be back on track. Georgia...hmm, maybe. I'd think Michigan is worse than 4 or these 5 though. They might just be a QB away from an 11 win season though.

I assumed from the part where they looked at this year's national title contenders that they were also looking at this year's underachievers. The five years of classes would be most of the players on this years team. But even then, having LSU as an underachiever is pretty tough.

I'm concerned about numbers, but also the effort this staff puts into recruiting at times. When they get to out, they do really good job of getting kids on board, but they dont do enough during the year, imo.

We had a bunch of guys out during both our bye weeks. Are you saying you think they should be out even during game week - as opposed to coaching and preparing our current team for that week's game?

• Fire 1

We had a bunch of guys out during both our bye weeks. Are you saying you think they should be out even during game week - as opposed to coaching and preparing our current team for that week's game?

Was just going to say that.

Complaining about effort in recruiting is a recurring theme for those that don't believe in the current staff because there's no way to definitively refute it. Of course, they can't prove it either, but that's hardly the point.

It has pretty well always been the case that we have filled up classes late at nebraska because so many of our prospects are from far away and have a hard time getting on campus until late in the process.

Complaining about effort in recruiting is a recurring theme for those that don't believe in the current staff because there's no way to definitively refute it. Of course, they can't prove it either, but that's hardly the point.

It has pretty well always been the case that we have filled up classes late at nebraska because so many of our prospects are from far away and have a hard time getting on campus until late in the process.

I've never been one to question the hard work this staff puts into recruiting, until this year. Idk if they should be on the road during game weeks, but i think something needs to be evaluated.,just seems odd to that they can rack up all these commits so late in the process, but have long droughts during the season.

I've never been one to question the hard work this staff puts into recruiting, until this year. Idk if they should be on the road during game weeks, but i think something needs to be evaluated.,just seems odd to that they can rack up all these commits so late in the process, but have long droughts during the season.

And yet this year is following the exact same patter as the last several.....