Recruiting Concerns

Hey WAHusker, we should be picking up a huge commitment at 6PM too.

Doesn't matter. Were still gonna be ranked 40-50 when its all said and done :sarcasm

I was going to wait until later to put that down, but since you bring it up now... Let's squash it, shall we? :D We are #40, before Clinkscales, still looking to fill the class with at least 5-6 more players, with several players who need/should be getting an expected boost in their ratings. So I don't know what math some of you people do, but that looks like we'd have to move up to at LEAST #39, imo... Seriously though. You're looking at a top 30 class.

(Not directed at you Po)

Doesn't matter. Were still gonna be ranked 40-50 when its all said and done :sarcasm

I was going to wait until later to put that down, but since you bring it up now... Let's squash it, shall we? :D We are #40, before Clinkscales, still looking to fill the class with at least 5-6 more players, with several players who need/should be getting an expected boost in their ratings. So I don't know what math some of you people do, but that looks like we'd have to move up to at LEAST #39, imo... Seriously though. You're looking at a top 30 class.

(Not directed at you Po)

Sean Callahan (someone who knows a hell of a lot more than recruiting geniuses like WAHusker) said on BRW that he thinks its gonna be top 20

So with our coaching staff putting together another solid recruiting class, where's the rub? Everyone who wants Bo gone and also agree we've been recruiting better as of late should also acknowledge the delicate situation the class is being recruited under. Staff turnover means this class could be decimated. What say the Bo haters as pertaining to coaching continuity in regards to recruiting?

Not a Bo hater but you never make long term decisions based on a recruiting class. With that said, if you were ever going to make a decision based on a recruiting class (which let me reiterate is completely the dumbest thing ever), this would be the class to do so. This is setting up to be one of Bo's worse rated classes. Two of the top 3 players have a greater chance to not see the field than they do have a chance of seeing the field. If you take those 2 guys off the list, or even Monte Harrison, we are ranked like 60th. We have been ranked in the 15-22 range the last couple years, keeping a coach in order to keep one of the worst rated classes in the last 20 years is not a thought in anyone's mind.

what's it like to always see the glass completely empty? it has been mentioned numerous times, throughout this thread and the recruiting board, that come signing day this class should be ranked along the lines of the other classes, in the 15-25 range. so while the class, in november, doesnt look all that appealing you still have until february to make up ground. also with this class it is around half full and many of the teams ahead of them have full classes. it is much harder for them to move up since that requires a bump up to their recruits whereas, depending on the ranking of the recruit, nebraska will most likely move up each time they add a recruit.

letting bo go at the end up the season, the new staff will have to re-recruit the players they feel fit their needs from the existing recruits. on top of that they have to go out and find more to fill out their class. if bo is gone after the iowa game the new staff has a bowl game to prepare for, unless ADSE decides to decline the invite (dumb idea all the way around) or the NCAA grants nebraska a waiver to hire a HC and his staff while retaining the other coaches through the bowl game.

you're welcome for the stupidly long post to add to your incomplete comment telling you things you already knew but chose to ignore.

Oh yes, what I said is completely looking half-empty......

At no point last year were we ranked near 50th. During the season we were ranked in the mid 20's and slowly crept up to the teens and ended right around there. Again, we weren't sitting at 50th at the end of November last year or the year before and moved up 30 spots. THAT IS NOT HOW IT HAPPENED. So go back, make up some other "facts" that you completely fabricate, and let me know when you have another argument in which I'm sure you're going to create.

what exactly did i fabricate? where did i say how anything happened in the past? i could provide links to posts have stated the class will end up ranked around where it has ended up the past couple years, if i felt so compelled, but i'm not going to. anyone who follows recruiting on this board has seen these posts. sorry that you dont like having things you said refuted. i merely gave you sound reasoning that things might not be as bad as you think they are.

and i gave you no credit for even seeing anything half-empty.

247 has a pretty cool feature where you can add any player to our commit list and see how it would affect our class ranking and where we would end up. If we added just about every top recruit on the board right now, the best we finish is 23rd. This also is if no team ahead of us gets another commit before NSD. So as our current recruiting board stands, the best we finish is 23rd. With other schools continuing to recruit, it's reasonable to assume we will finish in the 25-40 range and nearly impossible to finish in the top 20.

I'm not really concerned with recruiting overall, which is why I find it funny you think/assume I'm glass half-empty. Just stop referencing arbitrary tweets and posts of where we "should" finish when there are tools our there to show where we will finish.

http://nebraska.247s...Commits/Preview

This is if you add:

Clinkscales

Brian Wallace

Nick Gates

Kalen Ballage

Renell Wren

Darius Slade

Byerson Cockrell

This doesn't include the likely 1 other JUCO CB we will need, but none that are currently interested would move us up a spot.

(Not directed at you Po)

Sean Callahan (someone who knows a hell of a lot more than recruiting geniuses like WAHusker) said on BRW that he thinks its gonna be top 20

Hey, I think this class is going to be pretty good as well. You just gotta start small with these people ;)

(Not directed at you Po)

I'm curious what we're looking at for numbers. I thought we might have quite a bit of room with some of the guys leaving and being put on hardship but I got to looking at it yesterday and we're closer to the limit than I thought.

Assuming we get those currently committed (through Waz), I have us at 80 scholarships for next year. From what I hear we could lose another one or two (Guy sounds like he's gone. I have no idea if there's anything with Okuyemi.) But there are also another current walk-on or two that would probably deserve a scholarship (Burtch probably deserves it. Reilly and Foltz probably won't get one unless we have extras.). But, depending on those situations, we have five openings by my count. Anyone have any idea on anyone else?

Five more would make a pretty good class. Clinkscales sounds pretty good and possibly Slade. Those two might finish off our defensive line. I assume we're still looking for another RB if available - I'm still hoping for Ballage. Probably still looking at another CB - Cockerill? Maybe one more or two at the most and that would probably finish us up. Unless I'm missing something.

(Not directed at you Po)

I'm curious what we're looking at for numbers. I thought we might have quite a bit of room with some of the guys leaving and being put on hardship but I got to looking at it yesterday and we're closer to the limit than I thought.

Assuming we get those currently committed (through Waz), I have us at 80 scholarships for next year. From what I hear we could lose another one or two (Guy sounds like he's gone. I have no idea if there's anything with Okuyemi.) But there are also another current walk-on or two that would probably deserve a scholarship (Burtch probably deserves it. Reilly and Foltz probably won't get one unless we have extras.). But, depending on those situations, we have five openings by my count. Anyone have any idea on anyone else?

Five more would make a pretty good class. Clinkscales sounds pretty good and possibly Slade. Those two might finish off our defensive line. I assume we're still looking for another RB if available - I'm still hoping for Ballage. Probably still looking at another CB - Cockerill? Maybe one more or two at the most and that would probably finish us up. Unless I'm missing something.

3 guys were just put on medical hardship - Wullenwaber, Ashburn, and someone else who's slipping my mind... Either way, that opens up 3 more potential scholarships. Did you already have that factored in Mav?

This is if you add:

Clinkscales

Brian Wallace

Nick Gates

Kalen Ballage

Renell Wren

Darius Slade

Byerson Cockrell

This doesn't include the likely 1 other JUCO CB we will need, but none that are currently interested would move us up a spot.

Wallace is out, Wren is looking slimmer, and nobody has really heard anything on Ballage. Remember he did try and visit us but could not because of the fires in Colorado.

This is if you add:

Clinkscales

Brian Wallace

Nick Gates

Kalen Ballage

Renell Wren

Darius Slade

Byerson Cockrell

Wallace is out, Wren is looking slimmer, and nobody has really heard anything on Ballage. Remember he did try and visit us but could not because of the fires in Colorado.

Yes, I know. I was just using those "top" targets as examples that it is going to be really difficult to get this class in the top 20. It would be great for us if we were able to get half of those guys.

This is if you add:

Clinkscales

Brian Wallace

Nick Gates

Kalen Ballage

Renell Wren

Darius Slade

Byerson Cockrell

Yes, I know. I was just using those "top" targets as examples that it is going to be really difficult to get this class in the top 20. It would be great for us if we were able to get half of those guys.

That would be great! I think we get Clinkscales, Cockerell, and Gates. We could get Slade too.