Coaches Poll - #21

No love from the writers. AP has us six spots lower than the coaches poll, at 27th. Fricken writers. What do they know, anyway?

What good bourbon is?

Some maybe. But I think a couple of the Nebraska beat writers only like the taste of sour grapes.

:lol:

No love from the writers. AP has us six spots lower than the coaches poll, at 27th. Fricken writers. What do they know, anyway?

What good bourbon is?

Some maybe. But I think a couple of the Nebraska beat writers only like the taste of sour grapes.

:lol:

From a bag? Because that is just straight classy!

I've heard coaches admit that reporters get to watch more college games than they do, and votes tend to spike to brand name programs and coaching brethren.

Nebraska looks okay to my eye at #21, but for the last 10 years or so the Huskers haven't played up to their ranking. I can see why a pollster would be cautious at this point, especially with recent defensive performances fresh in mind.

Yeah, I usually put more stock in the AP poll over the Coaches. With how much time and effort coaches put into their OWN team (way more than the average 40 hour work week), I can't imagine they have much interest/time to look at and analyze the college football landscape every week. And coaches have said as much in the past.

Yeah, I usually put more stock in the AP poll over the Coaches. With how much time and effort coaches put into their OWN team (way more than the average 40 hour work week), I can't imagine they have much interest/time to look at and analyze the college football landscape every week. And coaches have said as much in the past.

Tom almost forgot to send in his ballot after the 1998 Orange Bowl....

The Jerry Palm BCS Projections are pretty good:

http://www.cbssports...ll/rankings/bcs

There you can see we are #33 in computers and project to #24 in the BCS minus only the Wolfe computer poll. This seems to be a reasonable outcome all around, when you take MOV out of the formula. I have commented that we seem to be pretty decent bullies against very weak teams with healthy margin of victory. It's when we play opponents on par or better than us that we seem prone to the melt downs. No question our brand has taken a hit for over ten years now as we all know we lack any real "signature" type wins that would repair that decline.

The only team that stands out as overrated is Oklahoma St at #36 in the computers, but #21 in BCS due to inflated poll rankings. OU was another I noted, but at least they have beaten some relative name brand teams (West VA, TCU, Notre Dame). While I don't think ND is all that great, they were able to beat Michigan St and winning in South Bend by two TDs is rarely easy. Hard to say NU would be unscathed with OU's schedule, beating all those teams + Texas.