Martinez returns to practice

This is a chronic problem with no real solution at this point. Not having ANY inside info, my guess is that he would be lucky to be at 75% for the rest of the year. The odds of him running effectively are, unfortunately, very slim.

The odds you are close to even being remotely right are fortunately very slim.

unfortunately, he is probably correct...TT is a lingering, chronic injury.

As much as I like Taylor, as a person and as a Husker, I think his attitude is his biggest drawback. He fights through the injuries, refuses to let them keep him down. Turf Toe and high ankle sprains are two very limiting injuries, that take forever to heal. I seriously doubt he will be 100% this week or even by the end of the year. He has not been since the initial injury his freshman year.

What has worked well, has been against less than what we will be facing. Not saying Tommy or RKIII can not do the job, but Taylor gives us the best chance of winning under any circumstance if he is even close to being healed.

I think we will need his senior experience in the long run

"Experience" doesn't automatically add value to a player. Experience gives a player the opportunity to improve, but it isn't a given. Tommy Frazier probably had more poise and game savvy as a Freshman than most college quarterbacks have in their Senior year...and yes, Tommie Frazier as a Senior was better than Tommie Frazier as a Freshman, but it wasn't because he aged for four years like a bottle of Scotch.

I still see Martinez have one or two "WTF!?" decisions every game, win or lose, even this year. But when he was/is healthy, he can usually cancel them out with a play where he burns the defense with his speed. His passing was better last year than the year before, but I think he has regressed this year, though that might be injury related. I hope for the best and hope we have a 100% healthy trio of quarterbacks for the rest of the season.

So I don't buy into the notion that a fifth year senior has an advantage over a redshirt freshman or sophomore. Some people improve with age, some regress, and some most stay the same.

• Fire 1
I think we will need his senior experience in the long run

"Experience" doesn't automatically add value to a player. Experience gives a player the opportunity to improve, but it isn't a given. Tommy Frazier probably had more poise and game savvy as a Freshman than most college quarterbacks have in their Senior year...and yes, Tommie Frazier as a Senior was better than Tommie Frazier as a Freshman, but it wasn't because he aged for four years like a bottle of Scotch.

I still see Martinez have one or two "WTF!?" decisions every game, win or lose, even this year. But when he was/is healthy, he can usually cancel them out with a play where he burns the defense with his speed. His passing was better last year than the year before, but I think he has regressed this year, though that might be injury related. I hope for the best and hope we have a 100% healthy trio of quarterbacks for the rest of the season.

So I don't buy into the notion that a fifth year senior has an advantage over a redshirt freshman or sophomore. Some people improve with age, some regress, and some most stay the same.

Good post. Where experience come into plays, is when the game is on the line and the QB has been in that situation before. Otherwise, I totally agree with your post.

His passing was better last year than the year before, but I think he has regressed this year, though that might be injury related. I hope for the best and hope we have a 100% healthy trio of quarterbacks for the rest of the season.

Are you saying he has regressed in general, or in his passing? Because his statistics throwing the ball would call you quite wrong indeed if you were.

He is our best QB, Armstrong, shows potential, but when the going gets tough, we are going to need Taylor and Ron. We have not seen Armstrong under a serious pressure situation. We know Taylor can handle a lot, yes he makes mistakes, but he has won us games by his play.

Yeah, I don't think Taylor has (nor has anyone expected him) developed into a Manning-esque field general over the years...but Armstrong's real green and Taylor's experience DOES put him at another level at this point. We'd need to be really careful protecting Tommy if we throw him out there (from a playcalling perspective) and giving him what he can handle at this point in his career. That's something that, against the meat of our schedule, is at best unideal and probably not going to cut it.

Unless Tommy really is the second coming but to date, I don't think we have reason to harbor such suspicions ;) Hell, even the most talented and precocious of quarterbacks often go through the learning curve as freshmen. We're currently a one loss team. So I think we all should hope Taylor can go, first of all.

They said he wouldnt be back till 100%. All I can say is, if he really is 100%, the rest of our schedule had better watch the hell out. Everyone's banged and bruised up right now. Fresh Taylor? That's been chillin for six weeks? I've always been against playing a less than 100% Taylor. It's just too detrimental to his most needed asset-running. But a fresh and well rested? Good night.

Zoogies is pretty much on the money with what I was going to say.

From my standpoint, I think experience does add a lot of value to a player automatically. For people that went to college and are now in the working force, think about your progression. After college, you knew some stuff, but probably had little real-word experience even if you did internships in your respective field. It's not until you actually get out there and start doing it where you really hit your stride. The you right after college compared to the you five years later is probably a significantly different professional.

That said, the ability of a person to APPLY their experience or skill set really sets them apart, imho. That's been one of TM's faults - tons of experience but has a history of making the same mistakes. You can also have the "it" factor and have more potential/upside than someone older or more experienced. It's like last year - our coaches felt the experience of probably less gifted players outweighed the potential of the young guys.

A healthy TM's experience and knowledge outweighs TAIII at this point. The offense is relatively limited with TA in there, especially as we saw in the first couple of games, TA was almost exclusively running plays to the strong side of his body (right side). There were also quite a few plays TA didn't make that I think TM would have, just because he would've been in those situations before and had a better idea of how to adjust his body to make a play.

They said he wouldnt be back till 100%. All I can say is, if he really is 100%, the rest of our schedule had better watch the hell out. Everyone's banged and bruised up right now. Fresh Taylor? That's been chillin for six weeks? I've always been against playing a less than 100% Taylor. It's just too detrimental to his most needed asset-running. But a fresh and well rested? Good night.

^This.....

I really hope he is truly 100%...

I just don't think he will be...

My prediction is that he will get limited snaps this game if he is to play...

Ease him in a bit and protect him for now.....

We're frustrated at not being able to see the zone read Martinez who could burn a 40 or 70 or 90 yard TD at any point in the game.

But I think the 80% Martinez still gets around the corner for the 9 yard sprint to the first down marker, untouched, or the 15 yard scramble up the middle with a hook slide. That's all he really needs to keep the defenses honest, and having a running attack that doesn't rely on called runs by the quarterback probably makes the Husker offense stronger.

Problem was, Taylor wasn't taking those wide open 15 yards he was being handed this year. Much less speedy quarterbacks take those openings. He needs the green light to run. We just don't need him to do it as often.