Martinez returns to practice

I'm quite certain that cortizone injection has been tried. However, you can only perform a limited number of those injections in any tissue before it starts to break down the tissue and can leave the overall structure much weaker.

Not having seen the imaging or heard of an official diagnosis, I wouldn't even attempt to comment much further.

My primary concern in this situation is that he's had it before. That makes it much more likely that there is some damage to the joint that predisposes him to re-injury. I really hope that I'm wrong.

I'm quite certain that cortizone injection has been tried. However, you can only perform a limited number of those injections in any tissue before it starts to break down the tissue and can leave the overall structure much weaker.

Not having seen the imaging or heard of an official diagnosis, I wouldn't even attempt to comment much further.

My primary concern in this situation is that he's had it before. That makes it much more likely that there is some damage to the joint that predisposes him to re-injury. I really hope that I'm wrong.

Exactly. Cortizone is not the answer here. The answer is a solid amount of time off the foot so the foot can completely heal... then bring out the custom orthodic shoes designed to stabilize the toe and limit flexing of the foot so that the toe has is less likely to be bent or driven into an unnatural bend that would put stress on the joint. For added protection there is a way you can tape the toe to stabilize it inside the shoe. But if that toe isn't fully healed, then any sort of strange fall that puts pressure on that joint, like someone falling on the calf with the foot pointed towards the ground and thus the weight of the person on the calf pushing that toe into the field forcing it to bend... can put him right back where he was. So can running and lateral movement if he cuts on it hard one way or the other.... which a lot of that can't be avoided when you're a QB scrambling in the pocket and being sacked and tackled beyond your control.

Well, if it WAS there since his Frosh year, he HAS had plenty of time for rehab. Off-seasons, bye weeks, and so on.

My only question would be a tough one to answer: Is a 75% TM going to perform better than a 100% RKIII and a young but 100% Tommy Armstrong combo? Only one way to find out, I suppose. But if Taylor underperforms because of the lingering injury, does it kill his confidence and momentum if he is pulled in favor of the other guys?

Just thinking, about answers no one has, and hopefully no one ever HAS to answer.

This kid got us to where we are. He carried this program on his back, injured and hurting most of the way. He has endured coaching changes, undue attention, sarcastic remarks and sometimes total disrespect for what he has given. Always there, never quits, gives 100% at all times.

• Fire 1

Totally agree about his acceleration! It has been so awesome to see some would-be tackler take off after him at a speed that "seems" to indicate he will catch TM just like any other QB. But, THEN, when TM turns on those jets, he adds a 10 yard cushion that looks impossible in pure terms of physics.

He is an amazing player, and his passing, maligned as it has been, has certainly been great and effective at times when we need it most. If I could have a TM grade player as QB for every Husker team in the future, I'd take it in a second. The man is a champ!

This is a chronic problem with no real solution at this point. Not having ANY inside info, my guess is that he would be lucky to be at 75% for the rest of the year. The odds of him running effectively are, unfortunately, very slim.

The odds you are close to even being remotely right are fortunately very slim.