Of Encouragement and Expectations - Life on the Big Stage

knapplc

The money and the players (I think) are there. Where are the results? Anyone?

When it comes to a traveling fan base, Nebraska is second to none. In regard to the money, yes we are up there. But when it's said this isn't the 90's anymore, some of that has to do with revenue sharing.....why we changed leagues....all that stuff. We pay Pelini very well, but crap Iowa pays Ferentz very well. As far as the players, we are getting more talented, but recruiting was not great until the past couple of years. I mean what's the average age of our front 7? But hey, if we want to fire Pelini, then by all means do so.....and I guess we can see what other coaching candidates think of our situation.

The conversation about Ferentz in Iowa is muddled by the fact that they literally couldn't afford to buy out his 100-year contract.

There's not much to do about the Pelini situation in season. It's too late for him to make a coordinator change like Texas attempted, and the longevity of his career will entirely depend on what happens in the next month. Oddly, I think Tommy Armstrong/RKIII will have a lot to do with how this plays out. But if we end up with a seven win season, probably we see a change. If we win out it's anyone's guess, but I see no realistic scenario that doesn't involve at least a coordinator change. Whether Pelini's earned a second chance at building a staff is up for debate, but you're right, a lot of this will depend on what the market looks like in December.

Very astute +1. If this is because you've been drinking, have another because I believe you have tracked the source back to patient zero.

That was the thing that bothered me the most about tapegate. How can you be in that foul of a mood after that great of a comeback? Answer is you can't unless you have a rather severe personality disorder. I don't care if the stadium completely emptied out, you make that comeback against your alma mater, no friggin way you go on a rant like that. The us against the world mentality is taken to a very unhealthy extreme by the current regime. It is manifesting itself as low moral, negative motivation, and reduced effort.

Surely, you don't think Bo just said that out of the blue? Like, that was the first thing he said? No, I'm sure he was prompted about it. Could he have said, "Who cares?" Yes. He could have. But he didn't, and he didn't say what he said because he has a "severe personality disorder."

Us against the world only works for certain groups of people. That the coaching staff can't see that it doesn't work for our players is unfortunate.

No, I don't think he made those comments "out of the blue". I would bet there was a bit of prior discussion that placed it in some context. That's really beside the point though. The facts are that these comments were made in the very short time period, after the end of the game (tOSU comeback victory) and just prior to his radio show. And this occurred in 2011, it's not like his seat was already starting to heat up. He didn't have huge numbers of fans questioning his every move (sort of like now...) To my recollection, the only "problems" with Bo up to that point had been some side line antics, the A&M game, and so forth. The criticisms directed at him up to that point in time were somewhat limited. He should not have been harboring any deep seated hatred towards the fanbase or really anyone except maybe some media members and possibly some officials. Even if a few thousand fans left early, should that blip overshadow the great comeback victory that had just been sealed moments earlier? I cannot fathom how anything would've got him that pissed off at that specific moment. I can see an offhand "yeah-f#*k em" or even a "fairweather" comment but the scope of that tirade was way out of place at that specific time. Where was the joy? He may very well not have a personality disorder but well balanced, normal people would not react with that magnitude of venom at that time. He can do whatever he wants- it's a free country but, I think it is rational to assume at least some of that attitude gets transferred to the players and that it is likely detrimental.

• Fire 1

Very astute +1. If this is because you've been drinking, have another because I believe you have tracked the source back to patient zero.

That was the thing that bothered me the most about tapegate. How can you be in that foul of a mood after that great of a comeback? Answer is you can't unless you have a rather severe personality disorder. I don't care if the stadium completely emptied out, you make that comeback against your alma mater, no friggin way you go on a rant like that. The us against the world mentality is taken to a very unhealthy extreme by the current regime. It is manifesting itself as low moral, negative motivation, and reduced effort.

Surely, you don't think Bo just said that out of the blue? Like, that was the first thing he said? No, I'm sure he was prompted about it. Could he have said, "Who cares?" Yes. He could have. But he didn't, and he didn't say what he said because he has a "severe personality disorder."

Us against the world only works for certain groups of people. That the coaching staff can't see that it doesn't work for our players is unfortunate.

No, I don't think he made those comments "out of the blue". I would bet there was a bit of prior discussion that placed it in some context. That's really beside the point though. The facts are that these comments were made in the very short time period, after the end of the game (tOSU comeback victory) and just prior to his radio show. And this occurred in 2011, it's not like his seat was already starting to heat up. He didn't have huge numbers of fans questioning his every move (sort of like now...) To my recollection, the only "problems" with Bo up to that point had been some side line antics, the A&M game, and so forth. The criticisms directed at him up to that point in time were somewhat limited. He should not have been harboring any deep seated hatred towards the fanbase or really anyone except maybe some media members and possibly some officials. Even if a few thousand fans left early, should that blip overshadow the great comeback victory that had just been sealed moments earlier? I cannot fathom how anything would've got him that pissed off at that specific moment. I can see an offhand "yeah-f#*k em" or even a "fairweather" comment but the scope of that tirade was way out of place at that specific time. Where was the joy? He may very well not have a personality disorder but well balanced, normal people would not react with that magnitude of venom at that time. He can do whatever he wants- it's a free country but, I think it is rational to assume at least some of that attitude gets transferred to the players and that it is likely detrimental.

Yes, normal people vent all the time, actually. That's all it was, he was venting his frustrations at the booing and so forth. Not to mention the stuff that went on between Wiscy and tOSU.

I've said those same things about the parents of the baseball team I coach. They talk behind my back about how I should play this kid or that kid, or that they think Im not trying to win because Im trying to develop the kids when they think he should be sitting the bench. My asst. coach who was a father would tell me all the things they were saying and Id vent to him all the time and said some of the same things Pelini said including that we'll see how they like it when I go coach another team next season. And this is twelve year old select baseball, I don't have millions of people criticizing my every move like him. Long story short, we ended up winning the state championship and I was extremely happy about that, but it didn't change the fact that I remember what these parents were saying behind my back and the only reason I'm still coaching that team is because there is no way I can turn my back on the kids. I can definitely relate to Pelini and that is why I could care less about what he said.

I also skimmed a few of the "entitlement" pieces and the only thing I got for the effort was a roll of the eyes. Nebraska is a historically blue-chip program and the fans collectively pay top dollar to keep the facilities, stadium, and coaching staff at the top levels. The support the players receive is endless. We pack road stadiums with red and bowl games are well attended. In short, Nebraska fans put in to the program, and right now the coaching staff is not producing at the level their salary and support system demand. Demand.

BoPelini can get payed 3+ mil to get blown out and get outworked/coached by bottom feeders someplace else. At Nebraska, the standards are simply higher. No different than Texas or USC. I don't think the fan's expectations are that unrealistic. A few people mentioned with the schedule there might be a chance of a title run this season or next. Nobody around here is saying Bo's job hinges on winning three titles in four years. The trouble is even with all this talent--which I still think is a real thing--Bo is not even achieving mediocrity.

That's a problem, and it's not a product of entitlement. The money and the players (I think) are there. Where are the results? Anyone?

Not that you care what I think...but I'm pretty sure I'd +1 you a lot more if I didn't have to see that damn clown.

I also skimmed a few of the "entitlement" pieces and the only thing I got for the effort was a roll of the eyes. Nebraska is a historically blue-chip program and the fans collectively pay top dollar to keep the facilities, stadium, and coaching staff at the top levels. The support the players receive is endless. We pack road stadiums with red and bowl games are well attended. In short, Nebraska fans put in to the program, and right now the coaching staff is not producing at the level their salary and support system demand. Demand.

BoPelini can get payed 3+ mil to get blown out and get outworked/coached by bottom feeders someplace else. At Nebraska, the standards are simply higher. No different than Texas or USC. I don't think the fan's expectations are that unrealistic. A few people mentioned with the schedule there might be a chance of a title run this season or next. Nobody around here is saying Bo's job hinges on winning three titles in four years. The trouble is even with all this talent--which I still think is a real thing--Bo is not even achieving mediocrity.

That's a problem, and it's not a product of entitlement. The money and the players (I think) are there. Where are the results? Anyone?

Not that you care what I think...but I'm pretty sure I'd +1 you a lot more if I didn't have to see that damn clown.

Scarlet and cream, man.

The "big" stage now includes Tweets.

It's stupid.

The "big" stage now includes hidden mic.

That's unfortunate.

The "big" stage now includes message boards.

That's probably just okay.

The big stage now includes TV deals w small and lesser conferences.

That's parity.

The big stage now includes immediate results.

Often, that's unfair.

The big stage now includes billions of dollars on the backs of recruits and 17-23 yr olds.

That's nothing new, but reality nonetheless.

At Nebraska, all these big stages combined with high expectations mixed with mediocre results equals a restless, hostile, and frustrated fan base.

I'm in for the long haul and hope we measure Bo's second five yrs more than we did his first five, ALL things considered from 03-07.

Nebraska is, as I've personally grown to know/appreceiate more and more over the last 15 yrs, a very very unique place to play and coach and be a fan of.

If fans are gonna tweet so are players. If fans have excpectations so do players. If we get pissed so do coaches. If we cuss so do they. If they let us down, we do them also.

What do we hang our hat on? That's the mystery hiding between the tweets and mics and losses and playing and cheering.

I want Bo to give the players AND fans something to hang their hats on (besides trophies). Defense, killer instinct, passion, guts, attitude, pipeline?....something that matters to US...unique and salty just like the Fishbowl they signed up to play and coach for.

Over the course of 50 years we the fans have carried the water for 300+, 35 straight bowls, 9 win seasons, top 25 ranking, etc etc etc. we were there before Bo and Kenny and B1G and Callahan, and BXII, and the new order; and we'll be there after.

So while you're here, give us something to hang our hat on.

• Fire 1

+1

Po- What Pelini said doesn't bother me. I understand that he needs to vent and that would be normal. I was questioning the timing at which he did it. To use your analogy- Do you see yourself venting like that immediately following what could be considered your biggest win in three years? I can see him harboring some animosity, I can't see it coming out at that time. We don't have to agree- it's just how I feel about it.

I am I- good post.

• Fire 1