RKIII Should Start for Rest of Season

Long's Iowa teams compiled a 35-13-1 record. He graduated with 10,461 passing yards and 74 touchdowns on 782 completions. He held every passing record at the University of Iowa except one (passes attempted in a game) when he graduated. Long holds the best completion percentage of any college quarterback all-time who has attempted more than 1,000 career passes. He was also the first Big Ten player and just the second player in college football history to throw for more than 10,000 yards in a career. Long was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1999 and the Iowa Sports Hall of Fame in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Chuck_Long

• Fire 1

The real leader of this offense is Abdullah.

I would add Enunwa also. In my opinion one of the reasons the Armstrong/Kellogg tandem works better for us is it allows us to focus on utilizing our backs and receivers in a more consistent and efficient manner. When Martinez runs the zone read for example, he's really the focus.

This will be the hardest both Ron and Tommy practice all year. TA is gonna be haunted by his picks and should practice with a sense of urgency and a chip on his shoulder RK3 is gonna be riding a high all week plus he probably feels that for tbe first time ever he has a legitimate shot at earning the start. Hard practice will pay off.

The second time TA has thrown 3 interceptions in the game this season. It's a no brainer.

1379568_10151779894499022_250414020_n.jpg

Pelini will start TA...

What exactly did Kellogg do to prove he was better? I watched one series with him in there and he threw a terrible pick. The fact is we don't really have any strong options at QB right now, but at least with TA we get the option game, which he is good at running. I'm okay with staying with a rotation. That to me is the best thing for us right now and gives the opposing D more to prepare for.

An interception or pick is a move involving a pass, either by foot or hand, being caught by an opposition player, who usually gains possession for his team. < Not throw three (again) of these maybe?

Like Chuck Long said having Ron on the field is like having a coach on the field. He's a senior. He knows the offense. People act like TA rushed for a hundred yards yesterday. He had some decent runs definitely but three picks again????

I'll put RKIII out there again. If he starts faltering then go with TA but I'd definitely rotate the two of them. Not throw Ron on the bench after one interception and leave TA in there after all 3 of his like Pelini did. Then again it's Bo Pelini we're talking about here. Not exactly finesse when it comes to recognizing anything that is offense.

Kellogg seems like a nice kid and has a nice arm, but you lose the dimension of having a run-threat QB with him in the game. Playbook suddenly becomes limited and Ameer will take a pounding on his own, and we need a healthy Abdullah for the rest of the season.

Tommy will start. But let's hope Pelini (or Beck) isn't slow to bring RKIII off the bench. They did a good job of this--bringing Ron off the bench--yesterday. When Martinez is 100% again he'll be our starter. When and if that happens, I hope we're not slow to bring either of the other two guys off the bench. They both have different strengths running our offense.

I'll take this a step further and ask why Martinez had to seek outside coaching to improve his mechanics? Was he unable to get the coaching he needed from this coaching staff? And if so... why?

It's not exactly uncommon. The coaches are heavily restricted to how much time they can spend coaching up the players. They can't spend the entire off season training a player, but an independent coach for hire like Calhoun can. QBs with the means to do so often seek training from QB gurus because it gives them an edge.

Chuck Long is an Iowa quarterback from back in the day? I'm missing how that gives him a qualified opinion of Tommy/Ronnie.

:dunno

He did the color commentary for our game yesterday on BTN.

EDIT: I don't know if that makes him qualified but that's why the poster brought it up.

Long was basically known for how many booze bottles were stacked in the hallway outside his room Sunday morning after a game. T_O_B

Chuck Long is an Iowa quarterback from back in the day? I'm missing how that gives him a qualified opinion of Tommy/Ronnie.

EDIT: I don't know if that makes him qualified but that's why the poster brought it up.

Long was basically known for how many booze bottles were stacked in the hallway outside his room Sunday morning after a game. T_O_B

Finely tuned athlete you're saying?

One very very lucky pass and you start the guy for the rest of the year? If nothing else get TAJ all the experience we can. I half to think that next year should be our top priority. T_O_B

Actually, winning the next game on the schedule had better be the top priority. No need for Bo to be looking ahead to next year because if the wheels fall off and we lose 2 or more of our remaining games, he may not even be here next year. I think if he goes 2-2 he is probably safe depending on the deficit of the losses, but 1-3 or 0-4 should probably result in a coaching search.

We have heard all year that Tommy and Ron are equal. I do not think anyone said we should start Ron for the rest of the year. We claim, on this board that there is no leadership on this team. Who stepped up in the game. I would say Ameer, Ron and Westerkamp made this victory possible.

Nothing against Tommy in anyway, and I agree he is the future, or who ever else is second string next year. He plays hard, quite good at the option, but has not been perfect on the home games he has played. Being in the Big House is different I would think. The experience of our senior back up, may handle it better.

I will have no problem if Tommy starts, because they are so close it seems. But for the current team, this year, this season I think Ron would be a great start next Saturday. It has many advantages to the program, the walk on program and our team. He has been here 5 years, if they are that close, I think he earned a start, just to see what he can do. I have no problem with the rotation set either. Giving him the start will affect a lot of players down the food chain. We need everyone on the team hungry, with the idea there is a chance for them.

• Fire 1

Finally figured that out after watching the BTN replay today.

It's weird that people listen to what these game commentators say and take it to heart. These are guys who have to fill three-plus hours of game time with something resembling coherent speech. They're not speaking from a position of authority, they're speaking out of a necessity to speak. Sometimes they say something worth listening to, but most often it's just filler.

I often wonder, as I read threads like this after games, where people come up with these hare-brained ideas they're putting forth. Then I watch the game replays and I hear the source, often word-for-word, from some color commentator trying to fill dead air.

The scary thing is, people take this stuff to heart. Critical thinking is becoming a rare commodity.