Why should this MSU game be any different? Stats!!!

I have to wonder, why should this MSU game be any different than the past games we've had with MSU? They've had a stout defense since we've come to the B1G and we've beat them the past two years.

2011-2012: MSU is ranked 9th in the nation, we were ranked 13th in the nation: We win at our house 24-3, we absolutely dominated them from what I remember.

2012-2013: MSU isn't ranked, we're ranked 21st in the nation: Martinez leads a comeback late in the game and we win at their house 28-24.

MSU total defensive ranking: finished 6th in the country in 2011.

MSU total defensive ranking: finished 4th in the country in 2012.

MSU total defensive ranking: currently 1st in the country in 2013 they are ranked 16th in the nation through the BCS

Our offensive ranking at the time of playing them:

2011-2012: Total offense 35th in the nation

2012-2013: Total offense 15th in the nation

2013-2014: Total offense 42nd in the nation

Their defensive ranking at the time of playing them:

2011-2012: 2nd in the nation.

2012-2013: 5th in the nation.

2013-2014: 1st in the nation (Game yet to be played)

Our defensive ranking at the time of playing them:

2011-2012: 42nd in the nation

2012-2013: 26th in the nation

2013-2014: 41st in the nation

Their offensive ranking at the time of playing them:

2011-2012: 66th in the nation

2012-2013: 96th in the nation

2013-2014: 86th in the nation

So please................someone tell me why I care that they are the #1 defense in the nation? I completely agree that it will be a close game and a hard fought game. But, from what I can see the 2011-2012 game is the closest comparable to our current game coming up on Saturday and I fail to see why I should get wrapped up in their defense. I'm not trying to be a kool-aid drinker, I'm not, the stats are what they are. This was all taken from the NCAA website. Someone could probably break things down more than I've done, but I didn't want to go through all that work about rushing defense, passing offense, etc. etc. Thoughts?

• Fire 1

You are only focusing on their defense vs. our offense. That's half of the entire picture. We beat them in 2011 with our defense vs. their offense.

Their offense is better this year. Ours is worse.

Their defense is better this year than the prior two years, and we have a freshman quarterback (who has shown in his limited time, the ability to be completely overwhelmed and lost by exotic defensive packages) instead of Taylor Martinez, a patchjob of random second string linemen and three straight weeks of poor offensive performance against defenses not even remotely as close to MSU's level.

MSU's offense is MSU's offense, they've always been the achilles heel of that team. If they could get a halfway decent offense, that team would be a great team. Over the years its been the same story with them. I don't think it comes down to their offense versus our defense. I'm not worried about that battle, I'm worried about our offense vs. their defense and I think that's where the game will be won or lost.

MSU's offense is MSU's offense, they've always been the achilles heel of that team. If they could get a halfway decent offense, that team would be a great team. Over the years its been the same story with them. I don't think it comes down to their offense versus our defense. I'm not worried about that battle, I'm worried about our offense vs. their defense and I think that's where the game will be won or lost.

You're right, and their defense is better than it has been the past two seasons, while our offense is worse than it has been the past two seasons.

We can win, but it's not hard whatsoever to see why people think we won't.

You are only focusing on their defense vs. our offense. That's half of the entire picture. We beat them in 2011 with our defense vs. their offense.

Their offense is better this year. Ours is worse.

Their defense is better this year than the prior two years, and we have a freshman quarterback (who has shown in his limited time, the ability to be completely overwhelmed and lost by exotic defensive packages) instead of Taylor Martinez, a patchjob of random second string linemen and three straight weeks of poor offensive performance against defenses not even remotely as close to MSU's level.

I dont believe their offense is better this year. Last year it was carried by LeVeon Bell, year before by Andrew Maxwell. Who is carying it this year? Nobody really. They went what 3 weeks with their D scoring more than their offense could. They hung a bunch on who Iowa and Michigan. Nothing to sneeze at but hardly imposing. We are built to control their offense.

• Fire 1

Also I dont think our offense is worse, just beat the hell up. Gaurds, Receivers Backs all dinged up. Were about as young as you can get and were still scoring enough to win games. We only put 17 on Michigan. We probably win that game 23 - 10 if not for the fumbles. We will score more this weekend for sure. Also the Minnysoda loss isnt really as demoralizing as once thought. Damn fine time up there in Minneappolis, 8 wins and counting.

I'm happy for Minny that they are doing so well, helps us out in the process. I agree that our offense is beat to hell and the injuries are really stacking up. That's one of the things that comes to mind when I talk about our offense vs. their defense. I hope we don't lose anymore players, been a painful year so far.

Their offense is better?? Didnt they put up 14 points against a stifling Purdue defense. They are better than they were at the beginning of the year, but I think Michigan has a better offense the their little brother.

Michigan State averages 30.6 points per game in conference play.

Nebraska averages 28.6 points per game in conference play.

You might respond with stating that a lot of that there are defensive scores included in that, and you would be right. But there are defensive scores included in our total as well, along with a Hail Mary touchdown.

Their offense is better?? Didnt they put up 14 points against a stifling Purdue defense. They are better than they were at the beginning of the year, but I think Michigan has a better offense the their little brother.

You might respond with stating that a lot of that there are defensive scores included in that, and you would be right. But there are defensive scores included in our total as well, along with a Hail Mary touchdown.

You can't compare offenses to offenses though IMO. It's all about the match-ups across the ball. I don't think their offense is good enough to beat us solely on the defensive side of the ball. I just think it comes down to whether our offense can score points or not. I have a feeling the Blackshirts are gonna be playing with a chip on their shoulder with everyone just handing Michigan State the B1G Legends title along with a trip to Indy. ZERO talk about Nebraska ending up there on any board out there in the B1G or nationally. Given how we've been inconsistent I see why we are being left out of that conversation. Michigan State might end up in Indy, but there's a team in Lincoln that might have a say in that.

You can't compare offenses to offenses though IMO. It's all about the match-ups across the ball. I don't think their offense is good enough to beat us solely on the defensive side of the ball. I just think it comes down to whether our offense can score points or not. I have a feeling the Blackshirts are gonna be playing with a chip on their shoulder with everyone just handing Michigan State the B1G Legends title along with a trip to Indy. ZERO talk about Nebraska ending up there on any board out there in the B1G or nationally. Given how we've been inconsistent I see why we are being left out of that conversation. Michigan State might end up in Indy, but there's a team in Lincoln that might have a say in that.

Think they also might not like the fact that the media is belittling what they did in Ann Arbor this past week. The team went into the Big House and held them to negative yards rushing and less then 200 total yards. But the narrative is that Michigan is in a free fall.

Think they also might not like the fact that the media is belittling what they did in Ann Arbor this past week. The team went into the Big House and held them to negative yards rushing and less then 200 total yards. But the narrative is that Michigan is in a free fall.

Very good point, no respect Nebraska...........................go get your respect by beating MSU!

Our defense seems to be clicking and confident at this time. If we keep the offense simple, avoid turnovers we can score on MSU. On the same token with all of our injuries and a backup QB, it's going to be a huge challenge. Win or lose, I like how the team is playing right now with the adversity.

Also I dont think our offense is worse, just beat the hell up. Gaurds, Receivers Backs all dinged up. Were about as young as you can get and were still scoring enough to win games. We only put 17 on Michigan. We probably win that game 23 - 10 if not for the fumbles. We will score more this weekend for sure. Also the Minnysoda loss isnt really as demoralizing as once thought. Damn fine time up there in Minneappolis, 8 wins and counting.

Not sure I can reconcile the two statements I bolded. Being short-handed on the OL is not the best time to be playing MSU. Score could be very similar to last week, unless we can hit some big plays/force turnovers.