Putting the 9 wins debate to bed

The 9 win season is nothing to scoff at, but even I must admit I have reservations about it, and it's because of the losses. Not the number of losses - four - but the way those losses have happened recently. Big blowouts, crushing defeats and self-inflicted wounds that have been relevant for many years under Pelini. This team is just incapable of getting out of it's own way whether it's dropped passes or turnovers. They seemingly correct them for one game and then fall into similar habits for the next.

The 9 wins are great, and the hope is that you every couple of years things comes together and you get that 11 or 12 win season. Unfortunately, Nebraska hasn't been able to do that.

Pelini's best team was, arguably, 2010. Things started to decline at the end of the season and have been off-kilter since.

What happened after 2010?

Callahan's best recruits graduated, particularly effected the defense.

The "Callahan's recruits" argument is no longer valid. Since 2010 we have brought in better classes than he ever did.

The 9 win season is nothing to scoff at, but even I must admit I have reservations about it, and it's because of the losses. Not the number of losses - four - but the way those losses have happened recently. Big blowouts, crushing defeats and self-inflicted wounds that have been relevant for many years under Pelini. This team is just incapable of getting out of it's own way whether it's dropped passes or turnovers. They seemingly correct them for one game and then fall into similar habits for the next.

The 9 wins are great, and the hope is that you every couple of years things comes together and you get that 11 or 12 win season. Unfortunately, Nebraska hasn't been able to do that.

Pelini's best team was, arguably, 2010. Things started to decline at the end of the season and have been off-kilter since.

The "Callahan's recruits" argument is no longer valid. Since 2010 we have brought in better classes than he ever did.

As decided by whom?

And if so... then it is even more damning that Pelini has a worse football team in 2013 than 2009 and 2010.

We don't know that yet. At signing, they certainly appear well on their way to being great. 3 years later they're littered with busts and transfers. Who know what these last few classes will look like 2 years from now. There is certainly talent in the front 7, but we'll be having similar problems with our backfield next year as our front 7 this year. I'm starting to question our QB recruiting as the turnovers and bad decisions continue to pile up. The TE position is a joke. The OL is thinned out next year.

He seems to recruit well at position of need, and neglect other positions preventing us from ever having a full team. And he sucks w/ the numbers. At least Callahan hit the numbers.

As decided by whom?

And if so... then it is even more damning that Pelini has a worse football team in 2013 than 2009 and 2010.

Do you really think a team with mostly freshmen and sophomores playing to be better than a team with mostly juniors and seniors playing?

If you don't think he IS a better recruiter than he was, you are full of sh*t.

You can't say he IS a terrible recruiter and ignore his last few classes.

Given his resources? You mean very little talent in area, 11:00 AM games, very few direct flights to Lincoln, and assistant pay that pales in comparison to those above him in recruiting rankings?

The two coaches before Bo did a lot better in recruiting while most of the current buildings they used weren't even built yet, along with the disadvantaes you stated.

Is Bo improving as a recruiter? Probably. Is he as good at recruiting as he should be? No.

How can a person honestly state that Bo has recruited better than Callahan? We have declined defensively and have had fewer draft picks each season most noticeably when Callahan's guys were gone. We have shown zero signs of improvement as a team the last 3 years and have declined in several categories.

• Fire 1

Bo's first couple of classes weren't very good, at all. But it's hard to not see that they've steadily improved since 2009. Not saying their Callahan good (based on rivals rankings), but they've certainly gotten better.

The Rivals rankings suggest maybe a little, but there certainly isn't a stark improvement. This class is currently ranked....39th.

Lets look at Scout:

2005 - #10

2006 - #29

2007 - #21

2009 - #33

2010 - #29

2011 - #19

2012 - #49

2013 - #11

2014 - #46

So, yea, you might say we are getting a little better. Or you might say 2013 was an anomaly depending on how 2014 finishes. And you might say that the actual team is ranked right about where you would expect them to be based on recruiting rankings. Which is to say consistently just barely cracking the top 25 to unranked.

Bo's first couple of classes weren't very good, at all. But it's hard to not see that they've steadily improved since 2009. Not saying their Callahan good (based on rivals rankings), but they've certainly gotten better.

The Rivals rankings suggest maybe a little, but there certainly isn't a stark improvement. This class is currently ranked....39th.

Lets look at Scout:

2005 - #10

2006 - #29

2007 - #21

2009 - #33

2010 - #29

2011 - #19

2012 - #49

2013 - #11

2014 - #46

So, yea, you might say we are getting a little better. Or you might say 2013 was an anomaly depending on how 2014 finishes. And you might say that the actual team is ranked right about where you would expect them to be based on recruiting rankings. Which is to say consistently just barely cracking the top 25 to unranked.

2012 only had 17 commits. That may have something to do with the low ranking.

Lets look at Scout:

2005 - #10

2006 - #29

2007 - #21

2009 - #33

2010 - #29

2011 - #19

2012 - #49

2013 - #11

2014 - #46

This is true. Even Sean Callahan has said that wouldve been a top ten class had it been consistent through a full class of 25 signees. And that class is a majority of bigtime contributors we're seeing right now.

Lets look at Scout:

2005 - #10

2006 - #29

2007 - #21

2009 - #33

2010 - #29

2011 - #19

2012 - #49

2013 - #11

2014 - #46

This is true. Even Sean Callahan has said that wouldve been a top ten class had it been consistent through a full class of 25 signees. And that class is a majority of bigtime contributors we're seeing right now.

Armstrong, Avery Moss, Zaire Anderson, Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westercamp, Imani Cross, Leroy Alexander, Michael Rose, VV, Greg McMullen, Aaron Curry and Sam Cotton are all regular contributors.

Seisay and Afalava have gotten some time. Both have been injured.

Corey Whitaker and Paul Thurston are the only two in the class that I don't think have played yet. Could be wrong.

Thomas Brown was primed to get regular playing time but was kicked off the team.

Id say the 2012 recruiting class has turned out to be pretty good.

"He cashes the big check." I keep hearing that. How much more are we willing to pay? Because I think to get to this fantasy land most fans think they are entitled to, you are going to need to pony up a lot more money. Head coach and assistant pay. To get the same results on the recruiting trail and field, these coaches have to bust their ass more than others. You better be ready to pay.

Then pony up. We didnt get many serious interview options in 2007 because TO didn't want to pay top dollar. We want to win big, then pay big. For what we expect $3.5mil for HC and another $3mil+ for assistants if needs be.

Bo was pretty much the top candidate in 2007.

He was the only real canidate. Interviewing Grobe and telling him that he had to use Tom's old assistants really shouldn't count as no HC in thier right mind would take a HC job when they can't pick thier assistants.

• Fire 1
There were only 35 teams out of 125 last year to win 9+ games. It isn't as easy as people perceive it to be.
Every year we have 5-6 pud games that we essentially just have to show up for to win. Was it always this way? Not quite. But we are in the Big 10 now. Losing less than 9 games this year would be an utter flop.
I would say anything less than 10-2 to 11-1 regular season is a flop considering the epic suckness of the B1G this season. We also do not play the two best teams in the B1G this season.
Name the realistic candidate that would be better than Bo.

This kind of mentality just annoys me. Anyone is a realistic candidate if you're willing to pay for it. There isnt a coach in the nation who wouldnt come to Nebraska for the right price. There isnt a coach in the nation who wouldnt go to Minnesota State for the right price. If conference expansion has taught us anything, its that college football is about money.

If it were me I'd take a bag full of cash to Nick Saban's door. 1 of 2 things happens, 1) He accepts......darn. 2) It causes Alabama to have to re-up his contract and costs them more money........darn. If the later takes place it also proves that Nebraska is ready and willing to pay in order to get what they want and when that happens the coaches start coming to you.

• Fire 2
There were only 35 teams out of 125 last year to win 9+ games. It isn't as easy as people perceive it to be.
Every year we have 5-6 pud games that we essentially just have to show up for to win. Was it always this way? Not quite. But we are in the Big 10 now. Losing less than 9 games this year would be an utter flop.
I would say anything less than 10-2 to 11-1 regular season is a flop considering the epic suckness of the B1G this season. We also do not play the two best teams in the B1G this season.
Name the realistic candidate that would be better than Bo.

This kind of mentality just annoys me. Anyone is a realistic candidate if you're willing to pay for it. There isnt a coach in the nation who wouldnt come to Nebraska for the right price. There isnt a coach in the nation who wouldnt go to Minnesota State for the right price. If conference expansion has taught us anything, its that college football is about money.

If it were me I'd take a bag full of cash to Nick Saban's door. 1 of 2 things happens, 1) He accepts......darn. 2) It causes Alabama to have to re-up his contract and costs them more money........darn. If the later takes place it also proves that Nebraska is ready and willing to pay in order to get what they want and when that happens the coaches start coming to you.

And Chris Petersen is there as well. Or Eichorst puts his head together and finds a worthy coach in the MWC, like his mentor did up in Madison not 12 months ago.