Putting the 9 wins debate to bed

We outcoached the sh#t out of that MSU team and the #1 defense in the land.

You can't put this on Bo or Beck. Sometimes, players have to make plays. Nevermind, they don't even have to make plays, they just have to not royally f*ck up.

Sure you can. They get paid a lot of money to make sure the players are adequately prepared to make those plays and do basic fundamental football things like holding onto a football.

I suppose you can, but you'd be wrong.

So it's not the job of the head coach at Nebraska to prepare his team and teach fundamentals? This university really needs to revise the job description if that's the case.

There is only so much you can do as a coach. Ahman Green had the worst fumbling problems of anyone in the NFL. He wasn't awesome at holding the ball here either. Was he improperly coached?

Bo was not the top candidate, hell we interviewed Gill and Bo you really think we went for a home run hire? We took the cheap route because TO thought he could mold bo into something he isn't.

Well, if only two were interviewed and we had our pick of which one we wanted, I'd say that we got our top candidate.

We outcoached the sh#t out of that MSU team and the #1 defense in the land.

You can't put this on Bo or Beck. Sometimes, players have to make plays. Nevermind, they don't even have to make plays, they just have to not royally f*ck up.

Sure you can. They get paid a lot of money to make sure the players are adequately prepared to make those plays and do basic fundamental football things like holding onto a football.

I suppose you can, but you'd be wrong.

So it's not the job of the head coach at Nebraska to prepare his team and teach fundamentals? This university really needs to revise the job description if that's the case.

There is only so much you can do as a coach. Ahman Green had the worst fumbling problems of anyone in the NFL. He wasn't awesome at holding the ball here either. Was he improperly coached?

Carrying the ball in his left arm when running to the right probably wasn't the best technique. So in a way, yeah he was.

For all I know you could be Bill Walsh, but I'm going to guess you aren't. That being said, if us fans that know small fractions of what real coaches know can point out he carried the ball wrong, I am sure coaches knew this as well. When does the coaches responsibility end and the players begin????

For all I know you could be Bill Walsh, but I'm going to guess you aren't. That being said, if us fans that know small fractions of what real coaches know can point out he carried the ball wrong, I am sure coaches knew this as well. When does the coaches responsibility end and the players begin????

Pee Wee football and The NFL. Anything in between is on the coaches :D

This whole debate is stupid. Don't compare Osborne to Pelini in terms of 9 wins. How about rankings instead?

TO:

1972 - 1979 rankings - 4th, 7th, 9th, 9th, 9th, 12th, 8th, 9th

1980 - 1989 rankings - 7th, 11th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th,11th, 5th, 6th,10th,11th

1990 - 1997 rankings - 24th,15th, 14th, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 6th, 2nd

Bo:

2008 - 2012 rankings - unranked, 14th, 20th, 24th, 25th, likely unranked

So, TO finished outside of the top 15 one time in his entire career with 18 top 10 finishes and Bo's trend is going the wrong direction.

Hell, I'm even okay with being ranked 15-20. I'd just like the sloppy bullsh#t to stop.

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to dig up the rankings.

Then pony up. We didnt get many serious interview options in 2007 because TO didn't want to pay top dollar. We want to win big, then pay big. For what we expect $3.5mil for HC and another $3mil+ for assistants if needs be.

No, that's not it. I'm pretty confident we didn't "get" many serious interview options because "we" wanted Bo Pelini from the very start.

I really do not think NU has an issue with paying up. As for Bo and his staff not getting top dollar, that's because of their resumes. Bo was a first time head coach, and he's always been paid competitively. Not to mention gets good money now. His staff, a lot of them were first timers or lightly experienced. So they were paid accordingly.

Any hire made here is going to be about the judgment call of the guy we hire, not the extent we feel comfortable opening the pocket book.

Games played per season:

TO since 1920 : 12,12,12,12,13,12,12,12,12,12,13,13,12,12,12,13,12, 12,12,12,12,13,12,13,13

Bo: 13,14,14,13,14

See the difference?

Yes, there is a big difference in tenure.

I guess you refuse to admit that there is generally an extra attempt to get to this magical 9 win season that all you guys are so proud of?