Putting the 9 wins debate to bed

Games played per season:

TO since 1920 : 12,12,12,12,13,12,12,12,12,12,13,13,12,12,12,13,12, 12,12,12,12,13,12,13,13

Bo: 13,14,14,13,14

See the difference?

Yes, there is a big difference in tenure.

I guess you refuse to admit that there is generally an extra attempt to get to this magical 9 win season that all you guys are so proud of?

Bingo. That's why it isn't as impressive to me. When Osborne had his 9-3, 10-2 seasons, that was different, because that was including bowls. So, basically, he'd go 9-2 or 10-1 in reg. season, or if he went 8-3, 9-2, he'd still win the bowl.

And every other team in the nation has the same opportunities and has failed to do so.

Arlrighty. Let me ask you this, would you be willing to have a 7 win season once in a while if it meant a BCS win? A national title? Because I'd be willing to see some peaks and valleys rather than the flat road to nowhere that we've been riding.

I am fully aware that more games are played now. The 9+ win seasons are not made to compare Pelini to Osborne. They are made to compare Pelini to other coaches during his 5.5 year tenure at Nebraska. An amazingly low number of coaches have accomplished it. Minimize it all you like. I am very very confident it is not minimized by the athletic director. The comparisons to Osborne have much more to do with the results of sticking with a successful coach and allowing him to try to get to the next level. Tom Osborne took over a team that had just won back to back national titles.....yet over the next 8 years we had more than one blowout loss to Oklahoma, did not consistently win our 8 team conference and did not win another national championship for over 20 years.

I am fully aware that more games are played now. The 9+ win seasons are not made to compare Pelini to Osborne. They are made to compare Pelini to other coaches during his 5.5 year tenure at Nebraska. An amazingly low number of coaches have accomplished it. Minimize it all you like. I am very very confident it is not minimized by the athletic director. The comparisons to Osborne have much more to do with the results of sticking with a successful coach and allowing him to try to get to the next level. Tom Osborne took over a team that had just won back to back national titles.....yet over the next 8 years we had more than one blowout loss to Oklahoma, did not consistently win our 8 team conference and did not win another national championship for over 20 years.

So because Osborne didn't win every year he sucked? How many have we won since he left?

I'll continue to minimize it because it means absolutely nothing when we can't win a conference championship once in awhile. I find it hilarious that people from other Big 10 schools all think we deserve better than Pelini and we can't see it or refuse to acknwoledge that we could be great again so we just settle out of fear that we'll return back to the Cally days.

The issue in terms of a 9-3 season is the same as it was in '03. Who do you get as a replacement? Urban Meyer openly bashed the firing of Solich and I'm sure many other coaches did in private. We obviously have our selling-points but from the outside folks will see a job where the expectations are very high and the nearby talent is low. If we don't lose any more games this season I'm not ready to commit the next several years on Frost and I'm not sure anyone proven will want the job. Now if we can go through channels to be totally sure we can get a first-rate hire I could understand a change.

Considering our O is depleted I don't see Bo being canned for 9-3. With just a healthy TM we're probably 11-1. Could well see staffing changes though. Now if we lose another regular season game a firing wouldn't surprise me.

So because Osborne didn't win every year he sucked? How many have we won since he left?

I'll continue to minimize it because it means absolutely nothing when we can't win a conference championship once in awhile. I find it hilarious that people from other Big 10 schools all think we deserve better than Pelini and we can't see it or refuse to acknwoledge that we could be great again so we just settle out of fear that we'll return back to the Cally days.

You will not find a single post where I've said Osborne sucked and it's unfortunate you would take that from what I wrote. I'm not concerned about what people from other Big 10 schools think, but consider me skeptical any other school worries about what Nebraska deserves. I am not in favor of sticking with Pelini out of fear. I am in favor of sticking with Pelini because he's successful.....and we've seen what the results can be of sticking with a coach versus being a coaching carousel.

And every other team in the nation has the same opportunities and has failed to do so.

Here's something Bo has had the same opportunity as any other team to do in each of his first five seasons: Make a BCS bowl. It's a list that potentially grows this year, as Nebraska won't be making one. The current tally sits at 30.

Alabama (4)

Oregon (4)

Stanford (3)

Wisconsin (3)

Florida (3)

Virginia Tech (3)

Ohio State (3)

Oklahoma (2)

Texas (2)

TCU (2)

Cincinnati (2)

Notre Dame

LSU

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Penn State

Boise State

Clemson

Arkansas

Auburn

West Virginia

Oklahoma State

Louisville

Kansas State

Utah

Northern Illinois

UConn

Iowa

Georgia Tech

I can live with not making a BCS bowl in six, even seven years, if we're regularly coming within striking distance for it. But I can also completely understand anyone who says "At Nebraska, that's not a good enough bottom line."

Here's something Bo has had the same opportunity as any other team to do in each of his first five seasons: Make a BCS bowl. It's a list that potentially grows this year, as Nebraska won't be making one. The current tally sits at 30.

Alabama (4)

Oregon (4)

Stanford (3)

Wisconsin (3)

Florida (3)

Virginia Tech (3)

Ohio State (3)

Oklahoma (2)

Texas (2)

TCU (2)

Cincinnati (2)

Notre Dame

LSU

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Penn State

Boise State

Clemson

Arkansas

Auburn

West Virginia

Oklahoma State

Louisville

Kansas State

Utah

Northern Illinois

UConn

Iowa

Georgia Tech

I can live with not making a BCS bowl in six, even seven years, if we're regularly coming within striking distance for it. But I can also completely understand anyone who says "At Nebraska, that's not a good enough bottom line."

misleading information, too many variables you haven't taking in consideration.

Arlrighty. Let me ask you this, would you be willing to have a 7 win season once in a while if it meant a BCS win? A national title? Because I'd be willing to see some peaks and valleys rather than the flat road to nowhere that we've been riding.

Anything for a national title.

What is "every once in a while?" The BCS bowl selection is a complete joke.

What is "every once in a while?" The BCS bowl selection is a complete joke.

Nobody here is joking when speaking of the desire to win a conference championship, which makes it seriously simple to qualify for BCS bowls.