Some questions about this board, this team, these fans, Dirk, Tommy, Bo, expectations for this year, and the future

knapplc

Didn't even come to the board after the loss Saturday (usually do). I saw progress this week and didn't feel the need to vent.

The one event during the game against Sparty that really changed my outlook was when Randy Gregory was patroling the bench trying to get more out of his teammates. I still think this is what is lacking in the program. The fact that I saw this made me feel better.

Bunch of people hurt and a lot of immature mistakes. Still almost won the game.

• Fire 1

I haven't been posting much lately but I haven't been away from the board. I've been lurking and reading and just in kind of a state of amazement for the last couple of days.

I haven't read everything. I've skipped over a lot of B.S. - you know, kinda like most people do when I post some 900-word diatribe that a smarter person could have summed up in one sentence. :P A lot of what's been posted here has been just people blowing off steam and not worth the read (but nor your posts - you know I read every one, and was amazed by the points you were making just don't tell anyone else 'cause they'll be jealous).

So after 48 hours or so have passed, and this board is still busily consuming itself from within, I have a few questions. P'raps you all could help me out with some answers.

Why is HuskerBoard made up of pretty smart, pretty reasonable, pretty decent folks, but after a loss they all turn on each other and start bickering and griping at each other? Misplaced angst?

Why does so much of what's posted just turn into this cyclone of rehashed, reheated old conversations? Do we just not read each others' posts and focus on our own brilliant points? Or do we not care, and just go through the conversations as a matter of exercise... something to do?

Why does traffic quadruple after losses around here? Why are we so much better at voicing our displeasure than our joy?

Why are the positives from Michigan State (and there are TONS) being ignored in the larger self-flagellation multiconversation going on right now?

Where are all the threads praising that Offensive Line for playing their asses off, despite more injuries than cats have lives, despite facing the toughest defense they'll see all year? That's a really, real, serious question. Where the hell are the "Holy Crap, we just rushed for more yards than Michigan State's last five opponents combined, and we're the only team to rush for more than 100 yards on this team all year!!!1!1!!" threads?

Where the hell is the love for Ameer Abdullah? Why isn't the fact that he had 100 yards rushing in three quarters against a team that hadn't given up a 100-yard rushing effort all season being gushed about?

How about some praise for the fans, who, after witnessing a disastrous three-turnover performance in the first ten minutes of the game, were still making a hell of a lot of noise deep into the fourth quarter? I haven't been looking at the Twitter - have any players come out and thanked the fans, most of whom stayed until after the final gun, for their support?

Why is Dirk Chatelain the only reporter named by name on this forum?

Does anyone think Dirk (or the OWH) is employing someone to post about his articles, especially when we lose? Isn't it just a bit odd?

Is Dirk the harbinger of Husker doom? Doesn't it seem like Sam McKewon and Sipple tend to write, and write very well, about the team when things are going well, but when the chips are down, that's when Dirk shines? It's not about "is Dirk right/wrong," but that's an observation I think worth making.

Tell me that's not odd.

Does anyone else really not care that Tommy is having a rough go of it as a Redshirt Freshman only six games into his career (for all intents and purposes)?

Does anyone else get a deja vu feeling about watching Freshman Tommy play, kinda like another Freshman Tommie back in the day? No pressure of unreasonable expectations here, just a serious question.

If this is Tommy at his worst (5-1 and a few ugly turnovers), am I the only one who's unreasonably excited for this kid's future? Like, screw-this-season-and-all-its-woes-excited?

Speaking of the future, is Bo a part of it, and if so, how much support will you give him? If he's here next year, how many conditions does that support have? Who has to go?

How easy do you honestly think it will be to replace Bo?

How much pants-pooping will be going on in Husker Nation if Bo takes a job of his own accord in December, leaving Nebraska to search for a coach not by our own choice, but his? Those of you who truly want Bo gone, do you want him gone under our volition or his? Or as long as he's gone, that's all that matters?

Isn't six years really long enough to get this mess figured out, even if it is your first-ever head coaching gig?

Isn't a 71% winning percentage pretty decent?

Isn't six years long enough to figure out how to not have massive meltdowns on nationwide broadcasts?

Speaking of the future, with the kids you're watching play football for Nebraska right now, are you more or less excited for next year, and the year after, than you were in July of this year?

How realistic is it to expect Nebraska to be a top-ten contender on a regular basis in today's college football climate?

If Boise State can do it, why can't we?

Are four losses a year bad enough to jeopardize the Sellout Streak?

What were your expectations for this season, how realistic were they, and do you think they should be modified based on the evidence we see on the field?

What would this team's record be, right now, with 2011 Taylor Martinez starting every game? Would we have lost to Michigan State?

Are you going to continue to be a Husker fan if Nebraska loses four games a year for the next ten years, and at least one of them is a blowout loss?

If 'yes' to the above, how many losses a year, and for how many years, would it take for you to say "enough?"

All things considered, right now, are you glad you're a Husker fan?

I'm a bit overwhelmed by this post. Any one of these questions could develop into a thread on its own. So I'll just shoot you a +1 for laying out all the issues, give a brief golf clap to acknowledge the greatness of this thread, and sit back to contemplate these things as I lick my wounds following last Saturday's loss.

:lol:

Why are the positives from Michigan State (and there are TONS) being ignored in the larger self-flagellation multiconversation going on right now?

--Because, for me, its another game where Nebraska had superior talent and gameplan, yet still lost. For like the umpteenth game in a row. And they're fundamental problems that average high school teams figure out. If I had a 15 year old that could do calculus but still wasn't potty trained, I'm guessing I'd know what other parents would talk about.

I'm not meaning to pick on this poster but I think this is a perfect example that sums up answers to so many of the questions in the original post.

I didn't know we had an extremely long losing streak going?

Husker fans are their own worst enemy. Literally, I know many MANY fans outside Huskernation that respect our program and what our coaches and players are doing much more than many Husker fans. And, sorry, other groups of fans are NOT like this.

There is a large amount of our fans that absolutely are not going to even enjoy the season (not saying this is what this poster was meaning but I'm taking this to the next level) unless we are winning a championship. They absolutely can not sit and enjoy a game and enjoy what is being accomplished.

I've given this example before. Two years ago when we had the amazing come back against OSU in Lincoln, TM made a key pass across the middle for a first down. The entire stadium was rocking....except the idiot beside me. His only comment was...."He f'ing threw behind his receiver again". Really That is all you can come up with jerk wad when we are making a historical come back?

I moved back to Nebraska in 2006 and I was excited to be back in Husker Nation to be able to get together with other fans to watch games.....Nope.....I honestly don't enjoy it because all the do is sit around and bitch....cry for the back up QB and cry for Bo to be fired....or cotton...or Beck....or Pap.

Quite frankly, I'm so tired of it that I many times don't even get into conversations with other fans in real life.

I'm not saying I'm a great Xs and Os guy. In fact, that's one reason I try to come to boards....to learn. BUT, some people (it seams) don't even try. It's like the fan on here the other day that was complaining about why Ameer wasn't on the field for the first fumble between Tommy and Newby....ummmmm....he was.

We have extremely loyal fans. Sorry for the rant....but, your post hit on a few things that bug me.

AND.....apologies to the poster I quoted. I used your post as a simple example but by no means do I mean to shine the light just on you.

• Fire 2

Always a Husker fan. I live in Okla - I will not ever be a fair weather fan like the sooners were when OU went bad in the 1990s. But, I can't be a :koolaid2: drinker anymore. I've been an active fan since 1970. While we are performing better than the BC years, we still are trapped in that 'average' team syndrome. Very frustrating. I've heard that stress can be defined as the "gap between our expectations and reality". That is why Husker fans get 'stressed out' more have a loss and get on hear and talk. Our expectations have been raised by our own 'hope eternal' (self inflicted) or kool aid drinking hope (believing the preseason coach speak). We want something real to hang our hats on and most of us have been around too long to accept average.

Do you know where all the positives threads are? AA, the o-line, the defense, etc... It's because they don't matter in the big picture here. Sure there were some positives, but we still found a way to crap the bed, ie UNFORCED turnovers. It's been a hallmark of this program to find the silver lining, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter because there are no banners and no reason to believe anything will change.

As for Bo, I would prefer that we part ways at the end of the season one way or another. it doesn't really matter if he's fired or leaves on his own. if he leaves on his own, its him admitting defeat in my eyes. I will give bo credit though. whoever walks in is coming into a MUCH better situation than he walked into. There is talent, the program is stable, there is support. He has basically positioned us to take the next step, i just don't think he will ever be the guy to do it.

There are seriously a handful of things that the next coach needs to address (or Bo, but i seriously doubt he can change if he did end up staying). Get some experienced assistant coaches, pay attention to special teams, and learn how to manage a freaking roster (recruiting needs, red shirts, playing time, transfers) and try not to be such an a hole to the media. If these issues were addressed, I honestly think fans would be shocked at the improvement, but what do i know.

--Because, for me, its another game where Nebraska had superior talent and gameplan, yet still lost. For like the umpteenth game in a row. And they're fundamental problems that average high school teams figure out. If I had a 15 year old that could do calculus but still wasn't potty trained, I'm guessing I'd know what other parents would talk about.

I'm not meaning to pick on this poster but I think this is a perfect example that sums up answers to so many of the questions in the original post.

Husker fans are their own worst enemy. Literally, I know many MANY fans outside Huskernation that respect our program and what our coaches and players are doing much more than many Husker fans. And, sorry, other groups of fans are NOT like this.

There is a large amount of our fans that absolutely are not going to even enjoy the season (not saying this is what this poster was meaning but I'm taking this to the next level) unless we are winning a championship. They absolutely can not sit and enjoy a game and enjoy what is being accomplished.

I've given this example before. Two years ago when we had the amazing come back against OSU in Lincoln, TM made a key pass across the middle for a first down. The entire stadium was rocking....except the idiot beside me. His only comment was...."He f'ing threw behind his receiver again". Really That is all you can come up with jerk wad when we are making a historical come back?

I moved back to Nebraska in 2006 and I was excited to be back in Husker Nation to be able to get together with other fans to watch games.....Nope.....I honestly don't enjoy it because all the do is sit around and bitch....cry for the back up QB and cry for Bo to be fired....or cotton...or Beck....or Pap.

Quite frankly, I'm so tired of it that I many times don't even get into conversations with other fans in real life.

I'm not saying I'm a great Xs and Os guy. In fact, that's one reason I try to come to boards....to learn. BUT, some people (it seams) don't even try. It's like the fan on here the other day that was complaining about why Ameer wasn't on the field for the first fumble between Tommy and Newby....ummmmm....he was.

We have extremely loyal fans. Sorry for the rant....but, your post hit on a few things that bug me.

AND.....apologies to the poster I quoted. I used your post as a simple example but by no means do I mean to shine the light just on you.

I don't think they literally meant losing games in a row. I think he was referring to BIG games on a national stage.

I haven't been posting much lately but I haven't been away from the board. I've been lurking and reading and just in kind of a state of amazement for the last couple of days.

I haven't read everything. I've skipped over a lot of B.S. - you know, kinda like most people do when I post some 900-word diatribe that a smarter person could have summed up in one sentence. :P A lot of what's been posted here has been just people blowing off steam and not worth the read (but nor your posts - you know I read every one, and was amazed by the points you were making just don't tell anyone else 'cause they'll be jealous).

So after 48 hours or so have passed, and this board is still busily consuming itself from within, I have a few questions. P'raps you all could help me out with some answers.

Why is HuskerBoard made up of pretty smart, pretty reasonable, pretty decent folks, but after a loss they all turn on each other and start bickering and griping at each other? Misplaced angst?

Why does so much of what's posted just turn into this cyclone of rehashed, reheated old conversations? Do we just not read each others' posts and focus on our own brilliant points? Or do we not care, and just go through the conversations as a matter of exercise... something to do?

Why does traffic quadruple after losses around here? Why are we so much better at voicing our displeasure than our joy?

Where are all the threads praising that Offensive Line for playing their asses off, despite more injuries than cats have lives, despite facing the toughest defense they'll see all year? That's a really, real, serious question. Where the hell are the "Holy Crap, we just rushed for more yards than Michigan State's last five opponents combined, and we're the only team to rush for more than 100 yards on this team all year!!!1!1!!" threads?

Where the hell is the love for Ameer Abdullah? Why isn't the fact that he had 100 yards rushing in three quarters against a team that hadn't given up a 100-yard rushing effort all season being gushed about?

How about some praise for the fans, who, after witnessing a disastrous three-turnover performance in the first ten minutes of the game, were still making a hell of a lot of noise deep into the fourth quarter? I haven't been looking at the Twitter - have any players come out and thanked the fans, most of whom stayed until after the final gun, for their support?

Why is Dirk Chatelain the only reporter named by name on this forum?

Does anyone think Dirk (or the OWH) is employing someone to post about his articles, especially when we lose? Isn't it just a bit odd?

Is Dirk the harbinger of Husker doom? Doesn't it seem like Sam McKewon and Sipple tend to write, and write very well, about the team when things are going well, but when the chips are down, that's when Dirk shines? It's not about "is Dirk right/wrong," but that's an observation I think worth making.

Tell me that's not odd.

Does anyone else really not care that Tommy is having a rough go of it as a Redshirt Freshman only six games into his career (for all intents and purposes)?

Does anyone else get a deja vu feeling about watching Freshman Tommy play, kinda like another Freshman Tommie back in the day? No pressure of unreasonable expectations here, just a serious question.

If this is Tommy at his worst (5-1 and a few ugly turnovers), am I the only one who's unreasonably excited for this kid's future? Like, screw-this-season-and-all-its-woes-excited?

Speaking of the future, is Bo a part of it, and if so, how much support will you give him? If he's here next year, how many conditions does that support have? Who has to go?

How easy do you honestly think it will be to replace Bo?

How much pants-pooping will be going on in Husker Nation if Bo takes a job of his own accord in December, leaving Nebraska to search for a coach not by our own choice, but his? Those of you who truly want Bo gone, do you want him gone under our volition or his? Or as long as he's gone, that's all that matters?

Isn't six years really long enough to get this mess figured out, even if it is your first-ever head coaching gig?

Isn't a 71% winning percentage pretty decent?

Isn't six years long enough to figure out how to not have massive meltdowns on nationwide broadcasts?

Speaking of the future, with the kids you're watching play football for Nebraska right now, are you more or less excited for next year, and the year after, than you were in July of this year?

How realistic is it to expect Nebraska to be a top-ten contender on a regular basis in today's college football climate?

If Boise State can do it, why can't we?

Are four losses a year bad enough to jeopardize the Sellout Streak?

What were your expectations for this season, how realistic were they, and do you think they should be modified based on the evidence we see on the field?

What would this team's record be, right now, with 2011 Taylor Martinez starting every game? Would we have lost to Michigan State?

Are you going to continue to be a Husker fan if Nebraska loses four games a year for the next ten years, and at least one of them is a blowout loss?

If 'yes' to the above, how many losses a year, and for how many years, would it take for you to say "enough?"

All things considered, right now, are you glad you're a Husker fan?

Good post Knapp; :thumbs

There is not just one answer to each of the questions you posed as you well know and it would be futile for anyone to try to answer them in a way that they could possibly represent the HB community as a whole.

This is my second post since the MSU game as I have just been lurking as well. I started to make a post in many threads and thought "what’s the use" and evicted because in the end, all yours, mine and everyone else's opinions are being touched on by someone else and there is no need to clutter up threads with additional rabble that another has addressed. They may not have articulated the point as you or I would but the point was made.

The kids showed great resolve this past weekend by fighting to the end and I will always be a Husker fan and support the kids without reservation. My opinions on the coaching staff are pretty well known as I was a 100% backer of Bo up until the Minnesota game but after that game, I came to the conclusion that we have experienced the maximum ability that this staff (as it is today) can bring us. For some, this is a good place, for others it is not.

Not for me to decide or argue with or against them just because I have a difference of opinion or higher expectations. I am not talking wins and losses but all the other things that go into the final results we see on the field. Most of the things I am talking about have been talked about so many times over the years, months, weeks and days that it does little to resurrect the issues again. Getting those items corrected would ultimately affect the wins/loss records and more importantly the weekly performances?

We have some gamers on our team and studs that will be successful beyond their present dreams and I give great thanks and appreciation for their effort and goals!

:bigredn: GBR!

I don't think they literally meant losing games in a row. I think he was referring to BIG games on a national stage.

If that's the case, then it is an even better example of my main points. If you study this quote, it fixates on our failures and doesn't acknowledge the successes between those failures.

This happens SO often with Husker fans. The failures get fixated on...then they get exaggerated...then, before you know it....everyone is miserable and think our program is a complete failure and everything needs to be changed and that is the only way we will ever be happy.

• Fire 1

If that's the case, then it is an even better example of my main points. If you study this quote, it fixates on our failures and doesn't acknowledge the successes between those failures.

This happens SO often with Husker fans. The failures get fixated on...then they get exaggerated...then, before you know it....everyone is miserable and think our program is a complete failure and everything needs to be changed and that is the only way we will ever be happy.

I think your missing the posters point or maybe you are satisfied with this and the last couple seasons. The program is failing to take steps forward. Ok, so don't focus on the failures.......what exactly are you celebrating then? Am i missing some great achievement? I don't enjoy complaining and i'll be a fan regardless because, well it's Nebraska and I don't know any better. But the short comings of the program have become very predictable and I believe, fixable.

Do you know what the highlight of this season has been? a final drive to win on the road to a BAD Michigan team. Please explain the exaggeration. There are also a lot of people the desperately want / wanted bo to succeed, but it just isn't going to happen.

Do you know where all the positives threads are? AA, the o-line, the defense, etc... It's because they don't matter in the big picture here.

I would argue that in the context of a season where we will not only not win our conference but not win our division, or play in/win a BCS bowl, that such things are of primary importance.

It's fine to discuss coaching changes, but if we're ignoring the good our players do, what message does that send?

Do you know where all the positives threads are? AA, the o-line, the defense, etc... It's because they don't matter in the big picture here.

I would argue that in the context of a season where we will not only not win our conference but not win our division, or play in/win a BCS bowl, that such things are of primary importance.

It's fine to discuss coaching changes, but if we're ignoring the good our players do, what message does that send?

I get your point, we shouldn't ignore that fact the AA is a stud, Gregory is unstoppable, and that our O-line basically had their way with MSU. But, to play devil's advocate what else does it say? That even with some exceptional talent and outstanding play, we continue to spin the wheels.

The "talent" gap that everyone has been complaing about looks to be narrowing if not becoming a thing of the past. so why did we do less this year than last year? Please don't say we are a young team :)

Besides its easier for everyone to "solve" everything wrong with NU and discuss at lengths end. However, there isn't really a discussion to made for the players other than, "yep, they played really well and looked" thats not intended to take anything from them, just that there isn't a lot to be said imo.

Is it remotely possible our talent level has not only consistently improved.....but possibly greatly improved.....in the past two years specifically? We currently have a certain defensive end who leads the conference in sacks and TFL. He's a sophomore. There's a guy on the other side who's not bad himself. Just two small examples of the "that" we can hang our hats on.

And before this season we were hanging our hats on an offense full of weapons and an easy schedule.

And before last season we were hanging our hats on a veteran defense.

There's always going to be something that we can be hopeful about for the upcoming year, but I haven't seen a strong foundation that's been built - we have nothing like the explosive athleticism and spread attack (and recruiting) of an Ohio State or an established power running game like Wisconsin. No continued success in any area that would have me believe that we have a strong program that's headed towards big success.

Agree - well stated. The sustained success is lacking. Bo was hired to rebuild the D - wt Suh and company it was accomplished and now it falters. Even wt an experience D last year - well we know how it turned out. The explosive O for this year still has no identity.

Why Pare the positives from Michigan State (and there are TONS) being ignored in the larger self-flagellation multiconversation going on right now?

Yes. Big games. But either way it probably could have been written better.

I think your missing the posters point or maybe you are satisfied with this and the last couple seasons. The program is failing to take steps forward. Ok, so don't focus on the failures.......what exactly are you celebrating then? Am i missing some great achievement? I don't enjoy complaining and i'll be a fan regardless because, well it's Nebraska and I don't know any better. But the short comings of the program have become very predictable and I believe, fixable.

Do you know what the highlight of this season has been? a final drive to win on the road to a BAD Michigan team. Please explain the exaggeration. There are also a lot of people the desperately want / wanted bo to succeed, but it just isn't going to happen.

Before I say anything...let it be clear, nowhere have I ever said anything about being satisfied with the last couple of years. I am an extremely competitive person and don't like losing.

But, let me ask this. Do you think there is any reason why we lost this game other than coaching and talent level? Just for conversations sake, let's take those two factors out.

i can start a thread about AA, and plenty will chime in about how great of a season he's had, or how awesome a run was, or how vital he is to the team - but you aren't going to have a "discussion" on something everyone agrees on. It dies quickly, and I wouldn't expect an AA thread to end up 5 pages for that reason. Nothing against AA.