Becks comments

When are these coaches going to look over in the basketball arena and watch another coach teach them how to get the fans and media on their side?

Bo wouldn't even have this job if it weren't for a large number of fans liking him and wanting him back.

It's just sad he could never figure that out.

what's sad is that your comparing the basketball program to the football program, not even close to being the same monster.

Hmmm, I thought he was comparing the head coaches abilities to make friends and influence people. But, I guess you are still right, there really is no comparing Pelini and Miles. Yin and yang.

The relationship would not be toxic and confrontational if Bo had a different outlook on it.

I'm sure you sit around and talk about Miles influences all the time and yes I do understand you don't care for Pelini.

It's not scientific, but I'd really be interested to survey NU players and coaches and see how many Husker fans came up to their faces and said all the things that has been said in social media that has made them so butt-hurt.

My guess? ZERO.

I remember seeing Callahan at Starbucks the week after the A&M blowout loss in 2007. I saw a couple of fans wishing him luck vs Texass that weekend. NU was already 4-4 at the time. No one was being toxic, no one was being mean, no one was saying anything derogatory towards him.

Why? Because Husker fans don't do sh*t like that.

I do know what NON-Husker fans can do (A friend of mine at another university said their roommate did this for fun)

1) You are an Iowa fan, for instance. Open a twitter account. Name yourself #huskerfan1 (just for relevancy)

2) Follow your rivals' players that have twitter accounts

3) Tweet about every mistake they made. How bad their game was. That they should quit the team. How ugly their girlfriend is.

4) Sit back and enjoy.

It is that easy.

But now, anyone can rant and know that coaches and players can see it if they choose. I've ranted, Most of everyone has here at one time or another. It's pretty easy when it's mostly anonymous and you know Randy Gregory isn't going to come to your house and ask you why you called him a piece of crap on twitter or Huskerboard for missing a tackle. Husker fans are entitled to voice frustrations, and like to do it. But they don't do it directly towards players and coaches. Just like Bo and the audio tape. You can't tell me that Bo and Beck and Co. really think the fans are against them when 90,000 of us show up every home game and support them. If that is really the mentality of the program, then they need to go. But I don't think that's the case. I do think they need to temper their expectations and reactions toward fans. We show up, we buy merch, we buy tickets, we attend the University, we help pay for your nice lifestyle. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, for good or for bad.

• Fire 2

All I know is-and i continue to reiterate this-I dont know how anyone can expect a team to come out and play for the fans, state program, whatever with this kind of attitude constantly being protrayed by the coaches in public settings. It's really starting to come full circle and explain the numerous instances of mental lapses and unpreparedness. But then, now that Bo's job is pretty much on the line, they come up with some very inspired performances for wins in tough atmospheres and situations against numerous accounts of adversity. It feels like "winning in spite of the fans" after these comments, and I gotta tell ya, I'm still a bit furious about it. If they cant teach these guys that douchbags make up a small minority of our fanbase, and that most of us genuinely care, and that just because a lot of us are offering up legit criticism doesnt mean were some loser in a basement berating players on twitter for missing the block, dropping the pass, or missing the tackles, then maybe they need to just get steppin on back to junior college.

• Fire 1

When are these coaches going to look over in the basketball arena and watch another coach teach them how to get the fans and media on their side?

Bo wouldn't even have this job if it weren't for a large number of fans liking him and wanting him back.

It's just sad he could never figure that out.

what's sad is that your comparing the basketball program to the football program, not even close to being the same monster.

Hmmm, I thought he was comparing the head coaches abilities to make friends and influence people. But, I guess you are still right, there really is no comparing Pelini and Miles. Yin and yang.

The relationship would not be toxic and confrontational if Bo had a different outlook on it.

I'm sure you sit around and talk about Miles influences all the time and yes I do understand you don't care for Pelini.

I understand the difference between the football program and the basketball program. They aren't even in the same realm when it comes to importance for NU. But I also got his point about how the coaches deal with the media and how they appear to view the fans. It's not that I don't care for Bo, although I doubt I can convince you otherwise, I just feel when it comes to this issue, Bo has set the tone and could diffuse the tension if he could change his attitude. He is free to feel however he wants but, it sure would be more helpful for the program if he chose to embrace the fans, the majority of which are reasonable, and was more of a helpful role model for his coaches and players. He has created the perception of this toxic relationship and only he can do away with it. There will always be a few outspoken detractors- why do he and some of the players choose to listen to them while ignoring and maligning the vast majority of faithful fans?

I've got legitimate concerns about some coaching issues, coordinators, play calling, strength and conditioning, etc. Funny how so many feel that is just "don't care for Bo". Personally, I would prefer he fixed some of these issues and coached here a long time. I just no longer think that will happen.

Pelini after SDSU:

On the fans

“Obviously, I appreciate our fans. I've said it and I'll say it again. We have great fans. I think everybody involved knows that what came out is not indicative of how I felt or how I feel about them. I think our fans understand that. They're great fans. They've been around me for five years. I think they know who I am as a person."

Pelini after NW:

On the crowd's reaction to the last play

“It was a roar. It kind of reminded me of the Colorado game a couple of years ago. It was very similar. But our crowd stepped up today. I mean, they always do. I thought our crowd was pretty special today. That was a juiced up stadium.

I'm not condoning what they sometimes say but I think it's being blown way out of proportion. Our coaches and player are often complimentary about our fans in general. Now there have been a couple quotes that were obviously directed at the same small percentage of people that some are using to justify the fan base as a whole and many are reacting as if they think that way about all our fans. They obviously do not.

• Fire 1

Mav,

I remember in 2010 Bo somewhat called the fans out after that boring, ininspired, cold game against Kansas. But outside of that, and aside from the audio, I dont ever recall him making these kind of snide remarks at us. And he still hasnt. It's his staffers. That's what infuriates me. Hearing what Bo told the team in the meeting prior to the Penn St game, then turning around to what Kaz says after that game, and these comments by Beck, it's really hard for me to defend them on this. Any amount of common sense and humilty would allow them to answer those questions in the other 100+ correct ways. Instead they chose one of the few, if not only, shittiest possible way. Being on the hot and all, pissing off the fans with asshat comments and answers like that isnt exactly what I would call well thought out. And I normally see myself as logical, with good perspective. I was not even mad about Bo's little recorded tyrade. Now 3 days later I'm still pissed about this. It's weird. It's like it's something that finally pushed me over the edge. But I'll still be there tommorrow hopiing for a big win, and when look at everything in place, I still think that the best thing for this program in the long run is keeping Bo as HC. But I think he's really got a gut check coming this offseason in evaluating the overall direction and management of the program. Maybe he doesnt need freinds to work with. He needs colleagues. This team doesnt need to be a family. It needs to be a team. And so on and so on.

Bottom line? There needs to be some major-ass attitude adjustment up there in North Stadium if we're even gonna get close to gettin back to where we wanna be.

My feeling on it is, they are talking to the Aholes, not the fan base in general. We take it as an attack I guess. But kids counting days to get out of the program is what upsets me. If they truly feel that way, they are not doing us a bit of good. I do not care how good they play the game, do in class or any of that. If they hate this program that bad, they should not be here, and should be removed from the team.

Now saying that, I find it highly unlikely that is a true story.

I have never attacked a player for any reason, coaches, that is a different deal. They are supposed to be highly trained professionals, adults and able to handle the situation. See Mike Gundy. He's a man!!

Mav,

I remember in 2010 Bo somewhat called the fans out after that boring, ininspired, cold game against Kansas. But outside of that, and aside from the audio, I dont ever recall him making these kind of snide remarks at us. And he still hasnt. It's his staffers. That's what infuriates me. Hearing what Bo told the team in the meeting prior to the Penn St game, then turning around to what Kaz says after that game, and these comments by Beck, it's really hard for me to defend them on this. Any amount of common sense and humilty would allow them to answer those questions in the other 100+ correct ways. Instead they chose one of the few, if not only, shittiest possible way. Being on the hot and all, pissing off the fans with asshat comments and answers like that isnt exactly what I would call well thought out. And I normally see myself as logical, with good perspective. I was not even mad about Bo's little recorded tyrade. Now 3 days later I'm still pissed about this. It's weird. It's like it's something that finally pushed me over the edge. But I'll still be there tommorrow hopiing for a big win, and when look at everything in place, I still think that the best thing for this program in the long run is keeping Bo as HC. But I think he's really got a gut check coming this offseason in evaluating the overall direction and management of the program. Maybe he doesnt need freinds to work with. He needs colleagues. This team doesnt need to be a family. It needs to be a team. And so on and so on.

Bottom line? There needs to be some major-ass attitude adjustment up there in North Stadium if we're even gonna get close to gettin back to where we wanna be.

I agree. As I posted before, I'm not saying they were right to say what they said. But I think it's being overblown by people saying they are against all the fans. If we're going to defend the fans by saying it's only 5% (or whatever) that are really being jerks about it, it's pretty unfair to turn around and over-exaggerated coaches and players comments as being about all the fans.

Mav- I get that they probably understand that it is a very small portion of the fanbase being aholes. But they need to learn to ignore the vocal detractors, teach the players to ignore it, and way more than carefully choose their words when they are questioned about it. Only their actions can diffuse it and turn it into a non-issue. You posted a few examples of the positive things Bo has said about the fans, but it only takes one instance like what Beck said to undo all that goodwill. It may not be fair and it may not be how they feel about the fans in general, but as long as they let that perception exist, it will.

Like my old First Sergeant used to say, Private, one aw $hit wipes out 10K atta boys.

I wonder what a f#*k you fans, f#*k you all wipes out then.

It wipes nothing out. Get over it. He starts reeling off wins then all will be forgiven. If he's fired the it doesn't matter. He was probably right and we all need to get over it.