Venting

nepolo7

I know there are already a lot of similar topics and threads out there, but I just wanted to get my thoughts out. Feel free to ignore or make fun of it.

I personally thought Bo was dealt a rough hand this year. There was a young defense and then a lot of offensive injuries. I was enjoying the season as every game was competed for, and fought hard in spite of this. I saw a lot of improvement in the defense and liked the way the team played for each other. I think a lot of coaches would have ended up with a 5 and 7 record with all this adversity. I also thought a lot of the media attention and fan pressure was unfair, some was warranted and Bo did not always do himself any favors but a lot was unwarranted. Some coaches have seasons that injuries derail, it just doesn't seem to explode like it does at Nebraska.

I am not even sure who I am angry at. It is clear that the Administration and Bo are not on the same page. I am very suspicious of Harvey Perlman. He does not have a good track record with hiring A.D.'s and seems to be meddling. The A.D. and Perlman failed to back Bo during the leaked tape. I find that very suspicious. I also feel part of the reason Bo became unhinged today was because of the lack of support from the admin. It trickled down to the players. It seemed like the side show of this soap opera overshadowed the game. The admin could have handled things better.

Bo obviously does not do himself any favors with the media. This is also what we knew we were getting with Bo. I can live with some of it. I also thought Bo progressed in his sideline behaviors and even some of his game management. From what I have read some of his recruiting seemed to be coming together. However, I am very critical of the way Nebraska never seems to get beat by better teams. Instead it is an implosion to teams that are of similar talent. There always seems to be an implosion, whether it is penalties or turnovers. Bo could handle things better

I am just not sure how this whole situation got so toxic. It just sucks that i feel like as a fan base we are left with more questions then answers. I am okay with a 9 wins and even 8 win seasons, but I want a brand of football I can be proud of. I want an identity, I want toughness, I want clean game plans that are executed. I am not sure firing Bo is the answer. I am not sure keeping Bo is the answer. I am just waiting to see what happens.

My questions:

If Bo comes back is he in a situation to succeed?

If Nebraska moves on, is there steady leadership to hire a new coach? (I am starting to have serious doubts here)

Does this whole athletic department need to look itself in the mirror and figure out its mission statements and find ways to modernize while maintaining tradition?

• Fire 2

You use the word "toxic." That's exactly how I was just describing this situation here at the casa. The whole thing is toxic, from Bo's relationship with the fans to the fans' relationship with the players to the officials' relationship to the coaches to the coaches' relationship with the Administration.

Nothing seems to be working right now. And we have so much going for us.

Everyone shares some of the blame, from Bo to the Administration to the Big Ten to the players to the fans. Toxic all around.

• Fire 3

Perlman and now Eichort have always given me the impression of a couple of weasel dick sob's. I've never trusted either of em. However, Bo hasn't really done anything this year to endear himself to the administration. I've wondered to myself if it wasn't Eichort who knew and possibly even suggested the tape of Bo venting be leaked anticipating the fans would turn on Bo making his decision to fire Bo easier. I don't know. It seems far fetched but the idea has crossed my mind on occasion. At this point, I don't know what to think anymore. Change is inevitable I believe but where that change occurs is unknown.

My questions:

If Bo comes back is he in a situation to succeed?

If Nebraska moves on, is there steady leadership to hire a new coach? (I am starting to have serious doubts here)

Does this whole athletic department need to look itself in the mirror and figure out its mission statements and find ways to modernize while maintaining tradition?

1. Yes. But only if a staff change is made at this time. Offensively, they've been up and down the entire 6 years he's been here. He needs to turn the reins over to an offensive coordinator that knows more about that side of the ball than, quite frankly, he does.

2. Not too sure. But - Eichhorst is the same guy who hired Al Golden down at the U, and they've climbed back into the land of relativity after their years of medocrity.

3. Modernizing is quite necessary. Look at Baylor. They've switched up their image, got a guy who they knew knows the game, and the patience has paid off both on and off the field. Heisman trophy winner, was in the NC hunt this year until a couple weeks ago. Why do places like Oregon and Baylor do so well? Because they know that flashy on the field sells. That being said - a bunch of the fan base around here would never go for those kinds of wholesale changes.

I think if we fire Bo we deserve another Bill Callahan. That is the truth. We will become another school like all the others who fire their coaches after six or less years. We still managed to win 8 and possibly 9 games with our backup qbs. Regardless I will back this program no matter what. It is not my decision.

Firing Solich was more than questionable. Not because of the on the field stuff, but because of the sleezeball AD that came in here, along with the fact that Frank is one of the more well respected elder heads in CFB.

Firing Bo at this point is almost a given - if he doesn't show people that he's trying to change some things (staff moves). He's abrasive towards fans and his own leadership, seems to have a problem with self-disipline (which filters down to players), and his hires don't seem to be working well.

Sometimes, one or two changes in the staff can make the staff gel differently. When Bo lost Marvin Sanders and Carl, it was the beginning of the end for him (if he indeed goes).

You use the word "toxic." That's exactly how I was just describing this situation here at the casa. The whole thing is toxic, from Bo's relationship with the fans to the fans' relationship with the players to the officials' relationship to the coaches to the coaches' relationship with the Administration.

Everyone shares some of the blame, from Bo to the Administration to the Big Ten to the players to the fans. Toxic all around.

Yes, the blame goes all around. I wanted Bo to succeed in the worst way, but began to criticize him especially after the blow out loss to Wisconsin. Many other Huskers did as well. Criticism takes its toll over time.

Bo made quite a few rookie mistakes while growing into the position. His emotions sometimes were his worst enemy. Hiring friends rather than experienced coaches was another major mistake.

Perlman is someone who I think has done both good and bad for the university. The Peterson hire was horrible. It is also obvious he doesn't like Bo.

In the end we do have a toxic situation. It will be a miracle if Bo survives this.

All Bo had to do was embrace the unwaivering (until today) support of the majority of the fanbase. He's been pushing us away for 6 years.

hskerfan4life: It's not about simple wins and losses.

OP: It's not about the youth. Youth or not. Injuries or not. This team is 8-4 and not 10-2 or even 11-1 headed to Indy becase we fail time and time again to execute the simple basics of football, that have been necessities to win in this sport for 125 years. That are instilled into EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE PLAYERS since the first day they put on pads somewhere between 12 and 18 years ago. Simple identification of inexperienced and young personell on offense that is lacking the starting qb, most of the starting OL, and at times, 2 of the top 3 receivers, and still thinking we can Tom Brady our way up and down the field with an all-conference tailback averaging 7 yards a pop. It's mind boggling, yet, it's become a fullblown pattern.

I just don't think firing Bo will cause some odd outrage in the coaching community. I am confident that many coaches will understand why Bo had to go, his issues go further than just his record. Look at the facilites, the pay and the fan support. Of all the reasons to keep Bo not being able to get a solid replacment is not high on my list, no one is irreplaceable.

This, and in admin's part I don't think they let the toxicity to where it obviously had an effect on and off the field today if they weren't already thinking of making a move.

I think we likely hit the point of no return, situation is just ugly, time to move-on.

I've been a Bo supporter from the beginning, but now I'm thinking that his moving on might be for the best. I think he deserves better than what has been offered here. There's some kinda sickness here and it's gonna kill this program. Some fans have been up his a$$ from the beginning and now are mortified that he snaps under the pressure put on by them and media ghouls.

The party I watched the game at had Iowa and NU fans. Did the Iowa fans bug me? No it was the NU people rooting/cheering for the mishaps. Made me feel sick to be a part of "Big Red". If Bo's actions represent us all, why are the "bad fans" considered to be a small, separate part? As it ended, some guy in a Crouch jersey hollered out "Buh Bye Bo!", ...so I punched him in the jaw. Dropped him right into a coffee table and it was the best I felt all day. I haven't laid hands on a soul in 20yrs, and yet it just felt right...and that's so wrong.

If Bo is let go, I pity the fool next up for the special treatment afforded by the "greatest fans in college football". I think we have more work to do than just replacing a coach.