Let the sellout streak end

The folks milling around outside the stadium looking to buy tickets beg to differ with the "I'm not sure all of those tickets would be bought."

We're talking about pre-game sales to this day. As of last count there were what, 600 season tickets left out of 90,000? With two months to go before the season?

Let's just pretend those 600 season tickets don't get sold, just for the hell of it. That merely puts us into the realm of selling tickets at the walk-up window - something every other team in the country is doing at least once per year.

If anyone doesn't think those tickets would be sold as walk-up purchases, I want some of what you're smoking. There are hundreds of people outside every game looking for tickets right now, knowing the stadium has been sold out for 50 years. If people know - or have reason to suspect - that there are single-game tickets available, that number doubles, maybe triples.

How many hundreds, thousands of dads in this state would take their kid to their first Husker game in a heartbeat? How many people have wanted season tickets but haven't even tried because they know they'll just be put on a wait list?

Way too many people are letting way too many extraneous things cloud their better judgment in this thread.

I am of the opinion that there is none of this being used in this thread at all.

The folks milling around outside the stadium looking to buy tickets beg to differ with the "I'm not sure all of those tickets would be bought."We're talking about pre-game sales to this day. As of last count there were what, 600 season tickets left out of 90,000? With two months to go before the season?Let's just pretend those 600 season tickets don't get sold, just for the hell of it. That merely puts us into the realm of selling tickets at the walk-up window - something every other team in the country is doing at least once per year.If anyone doesn't think those tickets would be sold as walk-up purchases, I want some of what you're smoking. There are hundreds of people outside every game looking for tickets right now, knowing the stadium has been sold out for 50 years. If people know - or have reason to suspect - that there are single-game tickets available, that number doubles, maybe triples.How many hundreds, thousands of dads in this state would take their kid to their first Husker game in a heartbeat? How many people have wanted season tickets but haven't even tried because they know they'll just be put on a wait list?Way too many people are letting way too many extraneous things cloud their better judgment in this thread.

All good points, and I'm not expecting to see empty spots in Memorial Stadium this year.

But I didn't expect to see empty spots in the student section when I just barely got to my seat in time for kickoff for the 2012 Arkansas St game.

I also didn't think I'd see them last year before the UCLA game either.

And I damn sure didn't expect to see holes in the sea of red and an inordinate amount of Iowa fans sitting in non-visitors sections for the Sr. Day game last November.

It's easy to point to early start times, or holidays, but the facts are those are factors that never used to play into whether or not Memorial was going to be full on football Saturdays. Is this dire? Absolutely not. But the fact that the donation levels didn't go up this year for tickets, there's a new "visitors section" in the East Stadium expansion that I'm pretty sure wasn't planned, and now there are tickets for sale....I think it proves what Count Apostrophe said up there to be true.

Time to go 11-1 or along those lines. That'll get asses in seats, or standing on them, whichever you prefer.

All good points, and I'm not expecting to see empty spots in Memorial Stadium this year.

But I didn't expect to see empty spots in the student section when I just barely got to my seat in time for kickoff for the 2012 Arkansas St game.

And I damn sure didn't expect to see holes in the sea of red and an inordinate amount of Iowa fans sitting in non-visitors sections for the Sr. Day game last November.

It's easy to point to early start times, or holidays, but the facts are those are factors that never used to play into whether or not Memorial was going to be full on football Saturdays. Is this dire? Absolutely not. But the fact that the donation levels didn't go up this year for tickets, there's a new "visitors section" in the East Stadium expansion that I'm pretty sure wasn't planned, and now there are tickets for sale....I think it proves what Count Apostrophe said up there to be true.

Time to go 11-1 or along those lines. That'll get asses in seats, or standing on them, whichever you prefer.

Your expectations of filling the student section during ho-hum non-con games isn't realistic. It wasn't realistic in the 80s when I was at UNL. We sat in East Stadium in those days, and there were TONS of empty seats around us. Especially after halftime, if it was a blowout game, those folks were gone. Waaay too much boozing to do to sit around watching third-stringers score on hapless opponents. That's why they moved the students to the corner - they'd been leaving early, or not even showing up, for years. Over a decade before they were moved.

Those early start times and holidays have always played a role in filling that stadium. And while I was shocked and displeased to see so many Iowa fans at our Senior Day, it wasn't much different than Colorado Fans in the 1990s. Selling tickets for games you can't go to isn't new, but it's still uncool.

Agree on the 11-1. It was time to do that two years ago. It'd be a welcome change to the four-loss rut.

Where is the new "visitors section" in the new east stadium expansion? I can't imagine those seats being hard to sell. If anything, up in the 600 level, the donation in some parts went up by $500 from the initial projected market value. And those seats in that part were hard to find during the "seat yourself" process, and well, totally gone now.

FB-Market-Value-2014-no-text.jpg

Maybe you're talking about the North Stadium? Far east? If so, for as long as I remember, those have been visitor seats for quite some time.

The folks milling around outside the stadium looking to buy tickets beg to differ with the "I'm not sure all of those tickets would be bought."We're talking about pre-game sales to this day. As of last count there were what, 600 season tickets left out of 90,000? With two months to go before the season?Let's just pretend those 600 season tickets don't get sold, just for the hell of it. That merely puts us into the realm of selling tickets at the walk-up window - something every other team in the country is doing at least once per year.If anyone doesn't think those tickets would be sold as walk-up purchases, I want some of what you're smoking. There are hundreds of people outside every game looking for tickets right now, knowing the stadium has been sold out for 50 years. If people know - or have reason to suspect - that there are single-game tickets available, that number doubles, maybe triples.How many hundreds, thousands of dads in this state would take their kid to their first Husker game in a heartbeat? How many people have wanted season tickets but haven't even tried because they know they'll just be put on a wait list?Way too many people are letting way too many extraneous things cloud their better judgment in this thread.

And dont forget that regardless who their sold to, the face value was originally 50+ bucks a piece. And that Iowa game? We have to remember the butt loads of Iowa fans who are located as close as right down the street. And with the season we had last year it's not nothing shocking to see such a thing.

My other point is, when I see the AD lowering ticket prices into the 20's and buy one get one free deals, then I'll start approacing "being concerned". But right now, it's still laughable. I dont care if their are upwards of 5000 seats left. Major boosters and the AD would work together to make for damn sure they are all sold, and, for the most part, used in order to protect again, the most cherished and prized streak in all of college sports.

• Fire 2

Your expectations of filling the student section during ho-hum non-con games isn't realistic. It wasn't realistic in the 80s when I was at UNL. We sat in East Stadium in those days, and there were TONS of empty seats around us. Especially after halftime, if it was a blowout game, those folks were gone. Waaay too much boozing to do to sit around watching third-stringers score on hapless opponents. That's why they moved the students to the corner - they'd been leaving early, or not even showing up, for years. Over a decade before they were moved.

Those early start times and holidays have always played a role in filling that stadium. And while I was shocked and displeased to see so many Iowa fans at our Senior Day, it wasn't much different than Colorado Fans in the 1990s. Selling tickets for games you can't go to isn't new, but it's still uncool.

Agree on the 11-1. It was time to do that two years ago. It'd be a welcome change to the four-loss rut.

I sat in East Stadium, same as you. While the leaving during a blowout isn't going to go away, they were filled at kickoff.

I sat in East Stadium, same as you. While the leaving during a blowout isn't going to go away, they were filled at kickoff.

No, they weren't. That's revisionist history and it's just not true. SOME games they were, and SOME games they are today. I would agree with the statement "The student section seats were filled more often before games back then than they are now," but if you're saying they always were, we both know that's not true. That, or you're misremembering for some reason.

I very distinctly remember my first game as a student, sitting in our house block, wondering where the other houses were. I remember a near-brawl in the section next to us at another game as two different houses came in after kickoff (which pissed me off), and were both trying to file into the same area at the same time.

That's just the fraternities. The sororities were as bad or worse. And that's not even to mention the GDIs.

The Houses were late, often, because they were selling their lots, or they were pre-gaming. I have no idea why the GDIs were late, but they filed in late, too.

Last year there was single game tickets available the week of Illinois, Northwestern and Michigan State because of all the returned visitors tickets, I bet Rutgers, Illinois and Purdue will be the same this year.

And those don't count toward our sellout streak. FYI.

No, they weren't. That's revisionist history and it's just not true. SOME games they were, and SOME games they are today. I would agree with the statement "The student section seats were filled more often before games back then than they are now," but if you're saying they always were, we both know that's not true. That, or you're misremembering for some reason.

I very distinctly remember my first game as a student, sitting in our house block, wondering where the other houses were. I remember a near-brawl in the section next to us at another game as two different houses came in after kickoff (which pissed me off), and were both trying to file into the same area at the same time.

That's just the fraternities. The sororities were as bad or worse. And that's not even to mention the GDIs.

The Houses were late, often, because they were selling their lots, or they were pre-gaming. I have no idea why the GDIs were late, but they filed in late, too.

Could you imagine if the Tubbery reopened with flat screens in the rooms? South Stadium would be empty.

I expected you to see holes in the student sections....why? Because those holes have been there since the 1990's....especially when the students (of which I was one during the early 90's) smush down into the front making it appear like the student section is less empty than it is.

Been doing it for 20 years...why did you think they'd change just for you when you were there? The world does not revolve around what you survey there Polo.

This is on the front page of the World Herald at the moment.post-1055-0-94073300-1403549596_thumb.jpg

Last year there was single game tickets available the week of Illinois, Northwestern and Michigan State because of all the returned visitors tickets, I bet Rutgers, Illinois and Purdue will be the same this year.

Happens every year

0/10 troll attempt

^ Same as Journal Star.

But there was advertisements for tickets last year too for the new stadium expansion. If it weren't for those adverts, I would have never thought of putting my name in there, and would have completely missed out on the killer seats I have now.

Totally glad they advertised.

This was the student section ten minutes before kickoff for the Northwestern game last year. NW was 4-4 entering the game:

JET7zKV.jpg

This was the student section about ten minutes after kickoff:

yHpmT6Q.jpg

If we're griping about those unfilled seats, we really, really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Sorry for potato.