Let the sellout streak end

Its not an issue Polo. Like I said. Every game will be sold out this year. Mark it.

My theory on why its grabbing attention? Because the waiting list has been depleted by two major seating expansions within a decade. Non-renewals no longer have that 5000-butt cushion to lay back on. But one thing i dont get what you doomergloomer cant get through your head is that as long as theyre still asking full face price and not running specials and promotions like a damn theme park there really isnt anything to worry about.

And dont aske why i keep coming back to argue this point. I think its petty and idiotic. And i also refuse to take the bait of your attempt to spin this into another "bo sucks" thread.

I completely agree that every game will be "sold out" next year, I'm not trying to argue that. But I really do want your opinion and answers to what you define as "specials and promotions." My assumption is that you're talking about specials like: "Buy tickets to the Florida Atlantic game, get free season baseball tickets" and things of that nature. But...

Do you consider any of the following specials or promotions:

- Any UNL graduate in the last 3 years was offered tickets in a $150 donation seating area without paying any donation.

- Two specific seats my friend has in South Stadium total donation was $1300 in 2011 and now that donation price is $300 total. That is offering the same product for a 300% discount.

- I became a season ticket holder in 2013 and my donation level for 2014 is almost $100 cheaper, after just 1 year.

-They are offering tickets without a donation to everyone in 2014 when 3 years ago those same seats came with a $200 donation.

How are these different from a cable company offering:

-Buy cable and get free installation, setup and HBO

-Sign a 2 year contract and get your third year 300% off

-Get HBO for one year and get $100 off your bill

Again, the sellout streak isn't in danger for the obvious reasons of large donors and the like, but do you not see the above examples as a red flag that things are at minimum trending in the wrong direction?

I see those deals as simple results of a supply and demand issue. The deals and promotions i speak of are much more drastic and reek of sever desperation. Like buy one, get one free. 10$ tickets to a particular game. Buy basketball season tickets and get a football game free. You know, those more radical types of deals. Sorry i didnt indulge into specifics on what i meant and thanks for posting that info. It is rather interesting.

And no i still dont see the red flag. You just said yourself you agree the streak wint end due to obvious reasons. So i ask, what are we worried about again?

As far as trending in the wrong direction i still say that the state of the program is the least of the issues at play here. Didnt say its not a factor at all. But its not nearly the factor doomergloomers claim it to be. And this downward trend (if its even such. I tend to think its more stagnant when you have exactly identical records for 6 years) could change in the matter of one season.

All this supply stuff that looks at seat # increase is overblown. Sure, the stadium has added 25,000 seats since the 90s.

...but the city of Lincoln alone has added at least 30,000. Omaha metro area has added 100k. More depending where you draw the greater area.

It's not that the stadium has outgrown the ability of the fanbase to support the team (in terms of attendance). Rather, its that interest in the team is waning at a greater rate to the market's population.

The problem isn't an increase in supply... the problem is lagging demand.

Why?

Ok ok. You win. You got me.

I blame Tim Miles.

What law says them folks have to want to buy football tickets?

There isn't one.

But have you ever moved into a city, and said "hey, what's going on? What's there to do this weekend?"

People transplant to Chicago and adopt the Cubs.

Ditto for California and the Giants/Dodgers/Lakers/49ers/raiders.

The Huskers are a thing in Lincoln. And if we're assuming NO ONE who's moving to Lincoln who doesn't have Nebraska ties (pretty ridiculous assumption) you would think maybe even some of them would buy tickets because hey, it's the thing to do.

So I'm not really sure what you're arguing here.

The Huskers are a thing in Lincoln. And if we're assuming NO ONE who's moving to Lincoln who doesn't have Nebraska ties (pretty ridiculous assumption) you would think maybe even some of them would buy tickets because hey, it's the thing to do.

i do not think you are.

Prove it.

I bet there are plenty of folks out there just like you who still wouldnt be happy about somethin.

Me? I can prove that had we not expanded seating by 5000+ seats less than a year ago, we would still have a nice long waiting list, with most likely increased donations. Yeah. I'll go with what we DO know, and not some speculation.

With that said. I do agree. LOL. Winning something of demand would *probably* (I say probably, cuz I'm not 100% sure. We may very well be maxed out as far as a fanbase goes that will consistently fill the place, in terms of economics, logistics, etc. Just a thought. Even some higher ups including Osborne alluded to this when this recent expansion was set up) increase demand. Hence, we're not sure if the wins and losses the is main issue. We know the expansions are.

supply has gone up and demand has gone down. but the reason demand has gone down seems to be two fold, one of which seems to be a lackluster product (i.e., if we were a top ten team, demand would once again skyrocket, regardless of supply).

There isn't one.

But have you ever moved into a city, and said "hey, what's going on? What's there to do this weekend?"

For how big those cities are (they have about just as many people or more than the state of Nebraska), you would think that every game would be sold out. The thing is that they aren't, because it is cheaper, and more comfortable to watch the game at home on the big screen, drinking beer and grilling or ordering a pizza (a whole pizza for just about double of what a slice at the game costs). The thing is there is less demand at all sporting events all across the country because you can now get that gameday experience at home, especially now that all the games are nationally televised. Yes, on-field perfomance does play a part in the demand for tickets, but I don't think getting to a BCS game or three will result in a waiting list a mile long.

There isn't one.

Kinda hard to go to them games when youre new in town when theyve been sold out for half a century. Cough cough

We've now come full circle.

Thread closed.

There isn't one.

Kinda hard to go to them games when youre new in town when theyve been sold out for half a century. Cough cough

Thread closed.

Until you hit the local news website and they bombard you with ads about how tickets are available.

There isn't one.

For how big those cities are (they have about just as many people or more than the state of Nebraska), you would think that every game would be sold out. The thing is that they aren't, because it is cheaper, and more comfortable to watch the game at home on the big screen, drinking beer and grilling or ordering a pizza (a whole pizza for just about double of what a slice at the game costs). The thing is there is less demand at all sporting events all across the country because you can now get that gameday experience at home, especially now that all the games are nationally televised. Yes, on-field perfomance does play a part in the demand for tickets, but I don't think getting to a BCS game or three will result in a waiting list a mile long.
Of the teams I listed, your best bet of getting tickets are through a ticket broker where you'll pay over face. except the raiders, who are a shell of what they were.

There isn't one.

Thread closed.

You can attribute a significant amount of growth to Lincoln and maybe Omaha to people moving from rural nebraska, mostly the youth.. the youth that only knows mediocrity (husker football) and is a generation where money is tight. People are also just living longer, may not be a viable option (for this demographic tier) to make it to their seat. There are also people that ofcourse move from elsewhere into Lincoln (listed no. 5 by forbes for business and careers and top ten for growing entrepeneur centers). IF, you are a newb to lincoln and Husker football you are probably much more likely to ask for season tickets though. After all, you probably would be oblivious to our sell out streak.

None the less, demand can not be completely explained by an increase in supply, or economic times, or laziness, or technology, or a frustrating product. Sure it might be viable for donors to pay for a few empty seats, but what happens when that turns into thousands of seats, there is a threshold for everyone, including donors. They aren't going to live forever, and they won't be willing to pay 1.8 million to 600,000 (30k-10k tickets) a game just to maintain the sell out streak. And, the future money will not be nearly as enthusiastic and determined about husker football as the past was/is. The huskers need to start winning on the big stage, they have been absent for a long time and that success that bought them the time is beginning to fade. However, the success that we enjoyed in the past is really unprecedented in all of college football, so I wouldn't expect that to return.

Some day the sell out streak will end. Its only a matter time, like everything you know and love. The streak's life can be extended but not immortalized. They may need to:

Go from bench seating to club seating to reduce capacity.

Get rid of the incessant advertising (at least at home you don't necessarily have to endure that)

Charge reasonable prices for food and beverages and create ways to pay wirelessly (w/o cash).

Youth tickets at a much lower cost to encourage families to make it a traditional event and enable a strong fanabase for the future.

MOST OF ALL win a championship every once in awhile, and don't get anihlated every year (once every 5 years is okay against a legit team), especially not on the home turf (should rarely happen, once in 20 years against a legit team).

There isn't one.

uh, no. if this were the case when i lived in phoenix then there should have been a helluva lot more cardinals and sun devils fans. they may take in a game or two but they dont buy season tickets. most of the transplants had teams they cheered for before moving and continue to do so after moving. complete irrationality to even assume increased population should mean increased ticket sales.

The problem isn't an increase in supply... the problem is lagging demand.

Why?

Do you have numbers to back that up?

That the population has grown? Kinda common knowledge.

In proportion to how the stadium has grown?

You might wanna check those numbers.