Did NU do the right thing in retaining Bo - some opinions

TGHusker

I liked/ currently like angry Bo. When the A&M incident aired nationally for days, the Bo that came back after that was not the same Bo. No fire and the guys played like it.

I've heard this before, but I have a hard time tracking it myself. The angry Bo didn't exactly light a fire under the team during the A&M game. He was Angry Bo before that game and he's been Angry Bo after that game. And he was even Angrier Bo this season, not surprisingly in games that we lost, cluminating in an old school meltdown against Iowa. So how does Angry Bo translate into a fired-up team?

I think it's the opposite corrolary: this team is afraid to disappoint Bo in big games. So they go out and play afraid.

He did work on his public persona after A&M, but he really needed to. I can't really track a turning point in Bo's tenure when the six four-loss seasons start blending together.

+1 Guy.

Also, it's up to Bo to figure out how to be an acceptable representative for the university and still be a good coach.

after 6 years.......he's still working on this one.

ncf_u_bop_cr_300x300.jpg

Who says Angry Bo isn't around anymore? This pic was two seconds before the 15 yard penalty. :lol:

It's impossible to tell right now. A healthy team next year could be really good, and Eichorst will look like a genius. I was much more in the "fire Pelini" camp towards the beginning of the season when the defense was playing horribly, but you can't deny that they've made huge strides during the season so I have to give credit for that. I think it's the right decision as long as some soul searching and changes are made in the off season. I really think next year is a make it or break it year for Pelini.

The single biggest factor, IMHO, that could change is practice. Purely speculation, but it would appear that we do not go enough good on good. Martinez tears up the 2nd team D and all is good. Get into conference play and the staff is like "why the hell are we making these mistakes?" It could be that the D by "X" is better than our 2nd/3rd teamers and scout team. Same with the fumbles. Not getting laid out in practice, IMO, contributes to an increase in TO's. Injuries might increase, but I didn't see starters out in the hey day going good on good. Like Peter said, practice was a brawl. Saturdays were much easier.

Then work on S&C. Even if it doesn't lead to injuries, we appear less dominant than other teams at the point of attack and incapable of going the distance without getting tired...

Bingo. You play like you practice. Gameday should be the easiest practice all week.

In the long run, beyond November of 2014 yes, keeping BO and not making any changes is the wrong move. So long term very poor form, short term, as long as there are no football games being played no worries, they can walk through practices and think they are going to do well and sing songs together, but results won't change till you work some 1 v1 and 1 v 2 live.......bottom line, more of the same from these overmatched and over paid employees. Players and Coaches will come and go, none are above the brand, N.

I'm going to make a post reminding myself to post again about a year from now to answer the question whether retaining Pelini was the right decision or not.

it probably was given the buyout and bo should have at least as good of a, if not better, season next year. the risk/benefit analysis says stay with bo. but i think the problem is that, even if next year is better, it will be more of the same and we will not breakthrough. i do not want another year like this one.

I'm going to make a post reminding myself to post again about a year from now to answer the question whether retaining Pelini was the right decision or not.

it probably was given the buyout and bo should have at least as good of a, if not better, season next year. the risk/benefit analysis says stay with bo. but i think the problem is that, even if next year is better, it will be more of the same and we will not breakthrough. i do not want another year like this one.

One more year of not being relevant makes it harder for the person coming in who replaces Bo. It is more in the mindset of recruits and fans, that NU is just an ave program. I anticipate a lot of - "coach speak' in the fall no how we are bigger, faster, better and then more of the same performance on the field - because nothing foundational has changed - unless Bo surprises and make changes at the coordinator position, special teams and S&C. I guess we need to wait an see if Bo makes changes. If not, he may already figure he only has one year left - why upset his group of assistants who he is comfortable wt.

ncf_u_bop_cr_300x300.jpg

Who says Angry Bo isn't around anymore? This pic was two seconds before the 15 yard penalty. :lol:

This is my current fav:

auV2JXg.jpg

Aren't those great pics that we want to represent NU football

Yeah because no other coaches have gone off on the football field before.

Angry%20Saban.jpg

will-muschamp-florida-gators-2011(1).jpg

460x.jpg

9074608-large.jpg

urban-meyer-constipated.jpg

PJ-AY072_SP_COU_G_20101123180542.jpg

136416209_display_image.jpg?1333432265

PJ-AY071_SP_COU_D_20101123180143.jpg

BretBielema.jpg3_display_image.jpg?1305529301

Bo is passionate, along with many other coaches that don't enjoy seeing their teams get screwed on the field. I'd much rather see Bo go after a stupid call then sit back and take it with no emotions. Bo is our coach, support him and stop trying to run him out of town. I'm unsure if Pelini is going to coach us to a title or not but since he is our coach I will support him and the players until the administration let him go. They showed a ton of heart and the improvement on the defensive side of the ball was huge. All some of you want to do is find every single flaw in Pelini and his teams. It's borederline pathetic.

• Fire 3

I think the main thing I still get hung up on is that the coach of the team holds the fans in contempt. He blames the media and his stupid outbursts take the focus off of the stupid question he was asked. He blames the players and screams 40 four-letter words at them on the bench even though some of them, think Ben Cotton vs. A&M, haven't even done anything wrong. He blames everyone else but himself, and he does it in the harshest of terms. Then he talks about "process" and "point the thumb". He makes insincere apologies for his Freudian slips and we are supposed to eat that right up and sing along to "There's Just No Place Like Nebraska," a song that has a completely different meaning to Bo and his coaches.

Oh, we can talk about the on-field performance issues, four losses every year. The head scratching defeats like Iowa State and fumblegate, or Minnesota this year. The blow outs like Wisky and Michigan two years ago and Wisky and Ohio State last year. The second half against UCLA this year wasn't fun. Losses to Michigan State and Iowa weren't fun. But at least they weren't blow outs.

Some have said Northern Illinois is higher rated than us and that means the sky is falling. I don't buy that since it's a lot easier to be rated with a good team in the MAC than it is to be rated with the same team in your average BCS league.

Still... the recruiting has been a continued concern. We are a middle-of-the-pack Big 10 team according to the ratings and no where near the prowess of Ohio State or Michigan.

At the end of the day... it's not the 8-4 record and its not the losses or the recruiting. There would be little division in Husker Nation if this coach was talking to us about how proud he was of the team and their promise without having to go on the tirades against everyone. Husker fans want to believe and we don't need much reason to do so.

Bo can't even clear that low bar for creating excitement.

If Tim Miles subbed in for Bo at a presser and said... Guys, this is what Bo told me about and I think we all should be excited. We probably would be.

That's because Miles is a positive guy.

Bo isn't.

The heat is on him.

And this is the primary reason.