Non Contributors

MT949597

Didn't Adam Taylor our running back out of Texas have offers pulled off the table after suffering an ACL injury during his junior year. Which pretty much allowed us to get him.

Yeah, but Adam hasn't contributed at all here either!

:sarcasm

Yeah, talk about challenges next year. Trying to get four backs playing time and carries.

Yeah, that will be a pain. Sometimes this staff has a hard time getting lots of guys touches, with that being said, I find that to be a problem with my teams too.

Didn't Adam Taylor our running back out of Texas have offers pulled off the table after suffering an ACL injury during his junior year. Which pretty much allowed us to get him.

Yeah, but Adam hasn't contributed at all here either!

:sarcasm

Yeah, talk about challenges next year. Trying to get four backs playing time and carries.

With what our QB depth is shaping up to be, expect about 80 carries a game. They'll get plenty of touches I think.

It's the time of the year to look at our roster and decide who's made an impact and who still hasn't seen the field in since they've stepped foot in Lincoln. I know there were about three players recently that were placed on medical hardship, but there are more guys on this roster than haven't played a down since arriving on campus and likely never will that are taking up scholarships that could be used going forward to recruits or given to a guy like a RK III.

I'm with (most) everyone else in disagreeing with your second paragraph.

As to the first, I posted this list which I believe contains all our scholarship players that will be back next year plus the current commits:

Seniors (14) - Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell, Tyler Evans, Jamal Turner, Jake Cotton, Matt Finnin, Mike Moudy, Mark Pelini, Jay Guy, Tobi Okuyemi, Zaire Anderson, Joshua Mitchell, Corey Cooper, Harvey Jackson

Juniors (17+2 JUCO) - Imani Cross, Andy Janovich, Taariq Allen, David Sutton, Givens Mordi Price, Ryne Reeves, Zach Sterup, Chongo Kondolo, Randy Gregory, Kevin Williams, Aaron Curry, Max Pirman, David Santos, Daniel Davie, Jonathan Rose, Charles Jackson, Mauro Bondi plus Robert Lockhart and Terrell Clinkscales

Sophomores (19) - Tommy Armstrong, Terrell Newby, Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, Sam Cotton, Cethan Carter, Paul Thurston, Corey Whitaker, Greg McMullen, Avery Moss, Vincent Valentine, Maliek Collins, Kevin Maurice, Jared Afalava, Thomas Brown, Michael Rose, Josh Banderas, Nathan Gerry, LeRoy Alexander, Gabe Miller

Redshirt Freshmen (13) - Johnny Stanton, Adam Taylor, Kevin Gladney, Greg Hart, Zach Hannon, Dwayne Johnson, David Knevel, A.J. Natter, Courtney Love, Marcus Newby, Boaz Joseph, Drake Martinez, D.J. Singleton

Non-JUCO Commits (15) - Zach Darlington, Larenzo Stewart, Monte Harrison, Demornay Pierson-El, Freedom Akinmoladun, Tanner Farmer, D.J. Foster, Mich Stoltenberg, Peyton Newell, Jaevon Walton, Trai Mosley, Chance Waz, Luke Gifford, Josh Kalu, Drew Brown

On the seniors, I've heard rumors that Jay Guy might not be back next year. Other than that, there are probably only 3-4 upperclassmen that are not very likely to contribute in some fashion. It would be great to be getting something out of everyone but that's unrealistic. I'd rather have a couple extra guys on the scout team that cutting guys.

I think the OP makes a good point though in some respects. If a player was recruited here and is not panning out, and there are walk-ons more deserving of a scholarship that are contributing at a higher level, then it only makes sense to have something in place to fix that. I don't think pulling a scholarship is the right answer though, maybe a lateral scholarship transfer, kind of like a medical hardship or something like that. I highly doubt the NCAA would allow anything like this though, and I am not an NCAA rule expert by any means. But hey, if the SEC is cutting player scholarships, wouldn't the more acceptable thing to do be to laterally transfer to a different scholarship. That sounds more ethical than just pulling it.

It's the time of the year to look at our roster and decide who's made an impact and who still hasn't seen the field in since they've stepped foot in Lincoln. I know there were about three players recently that were placed on medical hardship, but there are more guys on this roster than haven't played a down since arriving on campus and likely never will that are taking up scholarships that could be used going forward to recruits or given to a guy like a RK III.

As to the first, I posted this list which I believe contains all our scholarship players that will be back next year plus the current commits:

Seniors (14) - Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell, Tyler Evans, Jamal Turner, Jake Cotton, Matt Finnin, Mike Moudy, Mark Pelini, Jay Guy, Tobi Okuyemi, Zaire Anderson, Joshua Mitchell, Corey Cooper, Harvey Jackson

Juniors (17+2 JUCO) - Imani Cross, Andy Janovich, Taariq Allen, David Sutton, Givens Mordi Price, Ryne Reeves, Zach Sterup, Chongo Kondolo, Randy Gregory, Kevin Williams, Aaron Curry, Max Pirman, David Santos, Daniel Davie, Jonathan Rose, Charles Jackson, Mauro Bondi plus Robert Lockhart and Terrell Clinkscales

Sophomores (19) - Tommy Armstrong, Terrell Newby, Alonzo Moore, Jordan Westerkamp, Sam Cotton, Cethan Carter, Paul Thurston, Corey Whitaker, Greg McMullen, Avery Moss, Vincent Valentine, Maliek Collins, Kevin Maurice, Jared Afalava, Thomas Brown, Michael Rose, Josh Banderas, Nathan Gerry, LeRoy Alexander, Gabe Miller

Redshirt Freshmen (13) - Johnny Stanton, Adam Taylor, Kevin Gladney, Greg Hart, Zach Hannon, Dwayne Johnson, David Knevel, A.J. Natter, Courtney Love, Marcus Newby, Boaz Joseph, Drake Martinez, D.J. Singleton

Non-JUCO Commits (15) - Zach Darlington, Larenzo Stewart, Monte Harrison, Demornay Pierson-El, Freedom Akinmoladun, Tanner Farmer, D.J. Foster, Mich Stoltenberg, Peyton Newell, Jaevon Walton, Trai Mosley, Chance Waz, Luke Gifford, Josh Kalu, Drew Brown

On the seniors, I've heard rumors that Jay Guy might not be back next year. Other than that, there are probably only 3-4 upperclassmen that are not very likely to contribute in some fashion. It would be great to be getting something out of everyone but that's unrealistic. I'd rather have a couple extra guys on the scout team that cutting guys.

Great list. Update Thomas Brown, he's gone.

So as of today, we can take 6 more in this class for a total of 23 right? With Guy (and likely another 1-2) going to walk-ons next fall keeping us at 85.

How is an athletic scholarship different, you're brought in to perform athletically. An academic scholarship, you're brought in to get grades, does the university have loyalty to you because you slack off and don't take things as serious as you should so you lose your GPA? No they send you on your way, why in football should that be any different?

And when in the world did I say a word about cutting guys with injuries? I didn't, that's what medical hardships are for.

And finally SEC schools cut kids all the time and don't have a problem getting kids to keep joining their classes in bunches. Those kids go in with the mindset that they will succeed and they're accepting of the challenge, and not that afraid that "oh no I might get cut" mentality.

How is an athletic scholarship different, you're brought in to perform athletically. An academic scholarship, you're brought in to get grades, does the university have loyalty to you because you slack off and don't take things as serious as you should so you lose your GPA? No they send you on your way, why in football should that be any different?

And when in the world did I say a word about cutting guys with injuries? I didn't, that's what medical hardships are for.

And finally SEC schools cut kids all the time and don't have a problem getting kids to keep joining their classes in bunches. Those kids go in with the mindset that they will succeed and they're accepting of the challenge, and not that afraid that "oh no I might get cut" mentality.

Ha! I was just going to post something like this. I'm not with you on the oversigning part. I think that perceiving the football program as a white knight is too important to the fan base.

But I don't know why everyone isn't upset about the same issue with academic scholarships. Lots of kids come to school, work hard, and just can't make the grades. It seems just as unfair to pull their scholarships. I had an academic scholarship that would have been pulled if I wasn't in the top 1/3 of my class. I worried about it a lot, almost to the point of sickness, but it also made me work a lot harder.

• Fire 2
I hope we never operate the program as you suggest. Kids aren't given these scholarships on the premise of seeing a certain amount of playing time, like academic scholarships are given for GPA. Recruiting is a calculated risk. Also, there are more ways to contribute to a team other than you see on Saturdays. That is how the NFL and SEC operate, and I hope we never stoop to their level.

Very well said Q. +1. This is something Bo does right and he should get credit for it. I know the guy doesn't do a lot of things well, but loyalty is surely a strong trait. I gave him big props for sticking to Darlington. Even though there have been a lot of recruiting misses, we don't know the whole story behind some of these things either. Still, if I'm not mistaken, these guys are getting their degrees and moving on as better men. In the end, that's what most of these guys will leave here with. Few will go to the next level, even the ones we all think could or should.

One of the best traits Bo Pelini has is loyalty. I never want that to die, and if that means we'll sacrifice a roster spot to fulfill our commitment to a kid we made a promise to, then so be it.

Bo recruited Zack Darlington, and he wants Zack here, at Nebraska. Zack suffered a horrific concussion early this football season and may never play again. Kid has all the talent in the world, but it may be the best thing for him to hang up the cleats for good. Bo is going to honor his recruitment of Darlington, and that scholarship offer still stands. It is, without question, the right thing to do. Let the kid come here, let him get his education, and let him build a foundation for the rest of his life. This is a great place to do exactly that. If Darlington never takes the field here it's a wasted roster spot, but it's only one of 85 scholarships. We can find contributors among the other 84.

I support the OP's right to hold his opinion. I am utterly opposed to that practice here at Nebraska, though.

I totally agree with this. We need to win at a higher level, but don't need to stoop down to Saban's level to do it.

I agree with the stance to honor scholarships, but I had a question. If a player is physically unable to play such as Darlington's situation,( can or is) the scholarship be shifted to allow the team to offer an additional scholarship under the 85 limit? Seems like with the increased focus on risks of lingering head injuries that teams should not be punished for taking players best interests to heart. Would this be seen as an unfair competitive advantage?

Ha! I was just going to post something like this. I'm not with you on the oversigning part. I think that perceiving the football program as a white knight is too important to the fan base.

But I don't know why everyone isn't upset about the same issue with academic scholarships. Lots of kids come to school, work hard, and just can't make the grades. It seems just as unfair to pull their scholarships. I had an academic scholarship that would have been pulled if I wasn't in the top 1/3 of my class. I worried about it a lot, almost to the point of sickness, but it also made me work a lot harder.

I agree with this 100%

It makes kids work harder. Its the same concept of a guy pushing another to be the starter rather than second team. I wish professional athletics would do this too. Performance based contracts. If only all of life were like this.

Love seeing all those names and recognizing most as guys who've had significant playing time. From the soon to be seniors on down, we have a lot of good experience. We're going to be good next year.