We are divided

I think the OP raised well intentioned concerns. There is a noticeable split between fans here on HB. It may not be black and white, lievers and leavers, but there is a definite disconnect between how people fall on either side with Pelini. That in itself constitutes at least some turmoil, so I do not feel use of that word was wrong at all. But, after all the Pelini threads, I doubt we here on HB are ever going to get beyond quips such as "oh great, another Pelini thread" or "get out of the 90's bud". It seems the further from center anyone is on the issue contributes greatly to their lack of understanding for any point from the other side. Kind of like our current day politics.

I like the post, but as said before I don't think it is clear cut on everything. I support Bo but I also believe he has to fix things.

I also don't see us as a program in turmoil. We've made 3 conference title games in the last 5 years, no losing seasons. For turmoil I see a program like Tennessee that not only can't return to glory but is having trouble winning or Florida who just lost to an FCS at home.

I think the OP raised well intentioned concerns. There is a noticeable split between fans here on HB. It may not be black and white, lievers and leavers, but there is a definite disconnect between how people fall on either side with Pelini. That in itself constitutes at least some turmoil, so I do not feel use of that word was wrong at all. But, after all the Pelini threads, I doubt we here on HB are ever going to get beyond quips such as "oh great, another Pelini thread" or "get out of the 90's bud". It seems the further from center anyone is on the issue contributes greatly to their lack of understanding for any point from the other side. Kind of like our current day politics.

Good to see you're picking up what I'm putting down. The fanbase is not united in any way right now. My other concern is that if all of this continues for another 7 years or so, what is everyone going to expect out of this program? There will be people in there 20s and early 30s who never experienced the glory days of Nebraska football.

I am just trying to take a step back and see what everyone wants and expects. I do sense a feeling of apathy from lots of fans because bad losses and negative press have become normal. Nothing seems to be changing. I just can't think of any recent, successful program that was not innovative in some way.

In my opinion, I think that Bo is an average coach and a poor representative of Nebraska. The other side of the spectrum is behind Bo 100%.

Why do you have to be one or the other? From midseason on, I was saying I would be fine both ways. I see that our season, in large part, didn't go as planned with the injuries we had. However, I would have been fine if the AD thought we needed a change too.

I think there are more fans like me than you are acknowledging.

• Fire 1

Fans are divided against fans, but most rational fans will be the same fans regardless of who the coach is. Fans are divideded against Bo Pelini, but most rational fans believe he is working hard to improve the team.

Basically, some fans are in turmoil, but the program is not. This board is in turmoil, but the board is not representative of the program.

I support the Huskers. I will still wear my Husker gear and cheer for them whenever they play. I will never threaten to denounce my fandom, even tough at times it can seem tempting. I do not foresee ever wanting to see the team lose to help him out the door (unlike towards the end of Clownahan). I will support Bo, to a certain extent, simply because he is our coach. But, when it comes to any opportunity to comment on my feelings about him remaining as our HC, I'm going to say exactly what I think and not much of that is good anymore. I have calmed down quite a bit since the Iowa game but I still have serious doubts if Bo will adapt and make the changes many want to see and that I believe are important. I hope he does and stays here for a long and successful career, I just cannot realistically see that being how it goes.

• Fire 1

In my opinion, I think that Bo is an average coach and a poor representative of Nebraska. The other side of the spectrum is behind Bo 100%.

Why do you have to be one or the other? From midseason on, I was saying I would be fine both ways. I see that our season, in large part, didn't go as planned with the injuries we had. However, I would have been fine if the AD thought we needed a change too.

That's fair. But I think the fact that you would be fine with a change says something. I just believe everyone needs to be on the same page in order for us to have momentum going forward.

That's fair. But I think the fact that you would be fine with a change says something. I just believe everyone needs to be on the same page in order for us to have momentum going forward.

Unless you are a major booster, the only way this affects the program is the time and emotional drain it puts on people inside the program. It also affects recruiting. Various members of the media try to imply that the majority of the fan base is on one side or the other. THEY also gain by the perceived divide in the fan base because it draws readers to their articles every time they write about it. SO...it is in their best interest to keep the topic of Bo's job on the front burner. Remember that next time you read articles from either side.

The ones who control the program appear to mostly all be on the same page. THAT is what is most important. We as fans can have our opinions. But, it becomes a problem when fans think they have more power than they do or should have. That is when decisions by the administration become reactionary to the fan base instead of what is really healthy for the program.

Unless you are a major booster, the only way this affects the program is the time and emotional drain it puts on people inside the program. It also affects recruiting. Various members of the media try to imply that the majority of the fan base is on one side or the other. THEY also gain by the perceived divide in the fan base because it draws readers to their articles every time they write about it. SO...it is in their best interest to keep the topic of Bo's job on the front burner. Remember that next time you read articles from either side.

The ones who control the program appear to mostly all be on the same page. THAT is what is most important. We as fans can have our opinions. But, it becomes a problem when fans think they have more power than they do or should have. That is when decisions by the administration become reactionary to the fan base instead of what is really healthy for the program.

Good points. Part of me makes me think that the administration is on the same page simply because they have to be right now. I believe there was some truth to the rumors about Eichorst sending feelers to potential coaches. Bo did not act as if he was on the same page after the Iowa game. I do not know why he would make the comment "If they want to fire me, they can fire me" if he did not think it was a possibility. It is very possible that they did not have a proven coach lined up so we are just kind of stuck in this situation. Now that everything is out on the table we can move forward, but the uncertainty was not healthy for the program.

There might not be a complete divide in the fan base, but we are far from being united.

Trying to be civil. There is a wedge driven between our fans right now. In my opinion, I think that Bo is an average coach and a poor representative of Nebraska. The other side of the spectrum is behind Bo 100%. Each side makes fair points and I respect everyone's opinion. Has there ever been such a polarizing figure in Nebraska football (or state) history? We are at the point now where each side has differing views on what is acceptable and what is not. The Boleavers say: We have no identity, we are regressing, we are irrelevant, Bo is an embarrassment, we can do better, we deserve better. The Bolievers say: College football has changed, its not the 90s, we expect too much, Bo's players and their families love him, his "embarrassing" actions do not matter, the media has always been against him. Right now, we are a program in turmoil. No one is right or wrong. One side is desperate, the other side is just apathetic to what Nebraska football has become. Right now, a 13-year-old Nebraskan has never experienced a conference championship. This is all the younger generation of Husker fans know. If something does not happen soon we will slowly fall further into the abyss.

I refuse to accept there are actual hard-line "boleavers and boleivers." I think almost everyone falls somewhere in the middle of this. As for polarizing figures, Bill C. when the wheels were about to fall off the wagon is probably the most. Steve P. when he fired Frank is also up there. I don't think Bo can hold a candle to either of those two in regards to polarizing figures. As far as characterizing the two sides as one is desperate and the other being apathetic, much of that is drummed up by the media and the message boards.

NO ONE was behind Bill when the wheels fell off. No one was defending Steve P when he got canned. Where have you seen the media talk about one side of the fans being desperate and the other apathetic?

How would you characterize the different types of fans if you disagree?

As I said in my post, right before the wheels fell off. The fans were divided at that point in time. Steve P. when he fired Frank was a polarizing figure, not when he got canned. I guess the fans being desperate and apathetic are your terms, but the media keeps fueling the fire for stuff like this. As in the case when the AD made his first statement supporting Bo, the media then drummed up the idea of him being fired after the bowl. This forced the AD to make another statement of support later clarifying exactly what he meant. I did characterize the fans as mostly all of them being somewhere in the middle of all this, neither being Boleivers or Boleavers.