JUCO CB Kweishi Brown [Arizona State - Signed LOI]

Mavric

I think Leroy could be a good person to look at moving to nickel. Singleton could get a shot a safety. Leroy covers well and he likes to come downhill and hit. The nickel position has me the most worried about next year. Everywhere else we should be solid, but this is a very important position on the defense. Brown and Keys could immediately compete for starting spots at CB or at the least provide solid depth. That would give us 6 CB's in the rotation: CJ, Davie, Rose, Joseph, and 2 JUCO's.

I think Leroy could be a good person to look at moving to nickel. Singleton could get a shot a safety. Leroy covers well and he likes to come downhill and hit. The nickel position has me the most worried about next year. Everywhere else we should be solid, but this is a very important position on the defense. Brown and Keys could immediately compete for starting spots at CB or at the least provide solid depth. That would give us 6 CB's in the rotation: CJ, Davie, Rose, Joseph, and 2 JUCO's.

Alexander might be a nice fit at Nickel but I wouldn't move him there. Our safety play has been mediocre at best the last three years so I don't think moving a young guy who shows really good promise out of the position is the way to go. Sounds like the coaches are hoping Cockrell can fill the Nickel spot and I think Gerry would do well there too - he basically played the same responsibilities as our Dime back this year.

Alexander might be a nice fit at Nickel but I wouldn't move him there. Our safety play has been mediocre at best the last three years so I don't think moving a young guy who shows really good promise out of the position is the way to go. Sounds like the coaches are hoping Cockrell can fill the Nickel spot and I think Gerry would do well there too - he basically played the same responsibilities as our Dime back this year.

Having a good nickel is one of the most important positions on the defense because other teams try to create matchup problems its tough having the right size to cover TE and speed to cover slot receivers. I would rather them keep building depth by taking JUCOs then being short corners. Having 2 cover corners like Prince and Dennard is a huge because we are able to blitz and bring a safety up in the box to stop the run.

I don't feel the staff trusts the secondary players next season, and I currently don't either. I think we land Keys along with already getting Cockrell.
I don't know if it's fair to say they don't trust as much as not sure how they'll react to being "the guys". Plus we need depth there badly even if Rose, Davie and Co. are as good as advertised. Without the JUCO's roster would be: Rose (JR) Mitchell (SR) Davie (coming off injury) (JR) Joseph (RSFR) Mosley (TRFR) EDIT: Hell, just realized we would have barely fielded a 2-deep not factoring in injuries.
I would guess this is a lot of the issue. Mitchell is the only proven player. Rose and Davie were on the field at times this year so the coaches must have some confidence in them but they might be a ways away from really being counted on. But after that we are totally unproven - and almost non-existent. It sounds like they're hoping Cockrell can step into Ciante's nickel role so that would leave the three mentioned above to man the outside. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if CJax is moved back to corner which could help. But we are badly in need of depth.

I meant for immediate impact as well as depth. Jackson, Mitchell will prolly start the season, but I think Brown is a stud and better player by his film. I want Keys to commit as well and we should have a really fun defense to watch next season.

They tried that this year. Just because he was listed at linebacker doesn't change the fact that he was often lined up outside and ended up in coverage. Peso is basically an undersized, coverage LB that we've had our nickel or dime back/backer play. Gerry struggled with it. Of course, he's a true frosh, so he could get better at it, but I'm not sure he has the quicks needed to keep up with slot receivers and backs out of the backfield. We'll see, but he might be better off coming downhill from SS.

Everyone continues to include Davie when accounting our depth chart, but didn't he have an ACL injury? If so we won't be seeing much from him until late in the season as it was a late season injury and it still takes a while to get back into game shape. I wouldn't count on Davie next year.

Anymore, ACL is an 8-9 month recovery time. We'll have to see how he does but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back up to speed by fall camp. Stanton tore his ACL mid season last year and was up and going by fall camp.

They tried that this year. Just because he was listed at linebacker doesn't change the fact that he was often lined up outside and ended up in coverage. Peso is basically an undersized, coverage LB that we've had our nickel or dime back/backer play. Gerry struggled with it. Of course, he's a true frosh, so he could get better at it, but I'm not sure he has the quicks needed to keep up with slot receivers and backs out of the backfield. We'll see, but he might be better off coming downhill from SS.

I'm not sure I'd say Gerry struggled with it. He missed some reads but he also made a lot of plays. There is a difference between quick and fast and he is plenty fast and seemed quick enough to me. The Peso spot has usually been a safety moving up (Haag & Gomes) so that would be exactly what Gerry would be.