Strength & Conditioning conversations over the years

knapplc

I'm pretty sure there are regulations on what the coaches can "require" the players to do in the off season. For instance, the coaches can't require the QBs, WR and DBs to get together three times a week in the summer for 7 on 7 work. They can heavily recommend it. I'm not sure what extent the regulations go as far as weight training...etc.

So, to say, "These coaches need to make these kids get in the weight room" I'm pretty sure technically that would be an NCAA violation.

Now, maybe the regulations have changed over the years but I'm pretty sure it is still that way.

Require, no but if they want to play they better be there.

On my FB team players had to be at 30 lifting sessions during the summer conditioning workouts or they did not play in the first game of the year. There were very few exceptions given. Our starting QB did not play in the first game of the year one year because he did not meet this minimum criteria.

Others are right, I am sure that players are required to be in the wt room and doing conditioning. Some will work harder than others, and they will see the benefits. You hope that players see how Abdulla, Cross, Spencer Long, etc. have made themselves better FB players in the weight room and want to emulate that.

You would be surprised how little time some players have actually spent in a wt room before they get to college. Skill players in particular aren't real big on putting a lot of effort into the wt room in HS. Just my observation and opinion.

Bo's comment today when asked about strength and conditioning:

"There’s a reason why (Ndamukong) Suh, Prince (Amukamara) and Barrett Ruud and the rest of them train with Coach Dobson in the offseason — because they believe in what he does. To me that speaks for itself. I don’t know where (criticism) comes from, but that’s just somebody who doesn’t have very much knowledge making comments.”

National Ranking in Fourth-Quarter Scoring:

2013: 93rd

2012: 45th

2011: 47th

2010: 99th

2009: 52nd

2008: 2nd

Six-year average: 56th

National Ranking in Fourth-Quarter Points Allowed:

2013: 38th

2012: 89th

2011: 51st

2010: 7th

2009: 4th

2008: 111th

Six-year average: 50th

The first step in fixing anything is admitting there is a problem. Much like the "I don't apologize for 9 wins" Bo can't even get past that step.

The first step in fixing anything is admitting there is a problem. Much like the "I don't apologize for 9 wins" Bo can't even get past that step.

You want an apology for 9 wins? Good grief.

Context.

Nebraska outscores their opponents in the 2nd half on average (that's what these rankings are based on). That is a fact. That fact is in the same article that this lame argument was posed in LITR on journalstar.com. Nebraska beat NW in the fourth, they beat UM on the last drive, they beat Penn St in OT, they blew out SDSU in the 2nd half, I'm so tired of this lame argument.

Complain about Bo's "personality", complain about the "fake punt", complain about the "tape", etc. But the fact that "Bo haters" are starting to grasp at straws is really getting f'ing pathetic. Maybe we should check Bo's birth certificate.....

4th quarter scoring, offensive or defensive, is a dumb ranking. Sorry. There are too many game situations, and limited number of points to make this an important statistic. If a team has a lead, they sit on the ball; maybe taking a knee inside the five yardline. If a team is far behind and the other team gives up (see NU vs. WYO) it will affect the ranking. I would be more than willing to split a 12-pack and break down the 4th quarter situations of all of those seasons, but my guess is NU will still have just as many wins, and just as many losses...(which btw, is better than most other teams)

• Fire 2

To add to the S&C argument.......

Put it this way......I believe the source comes down to accountability. Plain and simple. You can take the best damn strength and conditioning program EVER BUILT and still not produce sh#t..........

Ya know why? Because your clients/players won't put in the effort, drive and desire to succeed within that program.

Hell, I create simple ass programs for people and as long as they WORK HARD and take it SERIOUSLY........

They will see results in some fashion.

I had guys in highschool ragging on me because I was out lifting juniors and seniors when I was a sophomore........I told them the secret is working hard, having a passion for what your doing and believing in it (they would claim I took anabolic steroids, I never even knew how to take the sh#t back in highschool). I took weightlifting very very seriously in highschool.....I wanted to be the strongest son of a B.

Maybe Dobson isn't holding his players accountable........however, I think it stems more from other players not holding their fellow teammates accountable. You have to have leaders on the team that will push others and lead by example. A precedence has to be set in place in order to create a culture of hard-ass workers....guys that won't take a rep off or won't take a drill off. Hell, I also believe NEB could benefit from more naturally talented and gifted players, i.e. Suh, Gregory, Amukamara, Ameer, etc.

So in essence........YOUR PROGRAM IS A GOOD AS THE PLAYERS MINDSET TO SUCCEED WITHIN IT. Period.

• Fire 1

This is a 50/50 thing. You think Nebraska isn't in the cutting edge of strength/conditioning/nutrition? Come on, with the resources this University has, of course we are. I hope the players are doing everything they can. We need a vet. We need a guy with a big mouth who doesn't take any sh#t who calls out guys that aren't in the gym. Who are these guys? Do we have any on the team right now? Do the other players respect them enough to show the same commitment? Leading by example is great, but I'd others aren't following your example what's the next step to motivate them? Ameer Abdullah would be one I believe I could name for sure without actually being in the weight room with them. Yet, I feel Ameer is somewhat soft spoken and a lead by example guy. Does he motivate the team to follow his example?

Expanding on that thought above. Does anyone feel like this area would be a great place for former players to assist? I hear Suh does drop by but are others welcome? Shoot, you'd have to think some old school ballers could come in and motivate if not compete with these kids. Bring a little extra badass mentality to the weight room.

Context.

Nebraska outscores their opponents in the 2nd half on average (that's what these rankings are based on). That is a fact. That fact is in the same article that this lame argument was posed in LITR on journalstar.com. Nebraska beat NW in the fourth, they beat UM on the last drive, they beat Penn St in OT, they blew out SDSU in the 2nd half, I'm so tired of this lame argument.

Complain about Bo's "personality", complain about the "fake punt", complain about the "tape", etc. But the fact that "Bo haters" are starting to grasp at straws is really getting f'ing pathetic. Maybe we should check Bo's birth certificate.....

4th quarter scoring, offensive or defensive, is a dumb ranking. Sorry. There are too many game situations, and limited number of points to make this an important statistic. If a team has a lead, they sit on the ball; maybe taking a knee inside the five yardline. If a team is far behind and the other team gives up (see NU vs. WYO) it will affect the ranking. I would be more than willing to split a 12-pack and break down the 4th quarter situations of all of those seasons, but my guess is NU will still have just as many wins, and just as many losses...(which btw, is better than most other teams)

I'm a "hater" and "grasping for straws" when the crux of your argument points to a OT win over a scholarship decimated PSU, an extremely down Michigan team, a winless in conference Northwestern where Nebraska needed an outright miracle to win, and a FCS team where the defense gave up more yards to their running back than Barry Sanders ran for in his Heisman year.

Okay.

I cannot believe that's what you deduced from that.

I'm a little biased about the conditioning they had under Dave Kennedy because he's my cousin, but I can see/understand how the whole coaching staff under Callahan had to go so they could revamp. When Kennedy worked under Boyd Eppley Nebraska's conditioning program was second to none.

As far as conditioning goes, I just want to see Nebraska being able to be as strong at the end of the game as they were at the begining. Conditioning and Depth in the position both play key rolls. In 2013, we didn't really have the luxury of being able to switch out positions due to injury.

I cannot believe that's what you deduced from that.

I cannot believe it's not butter!

What's your point then?

To build on some of the other good, and not so good points, this thread is a perfect example of why:

I have always connected S&C with the team psychologists. The mental and physical aspects have to work hand in hand. We've seen a few times this year, where players are 'looking' physically (or mentally?) tired before the end of the first half.

I have a difficult time believing that our nutrition and S&C programs are solely responsible for those moments. Note that I am not calling out anyone in particular, just suggesting that the group are tied together. No doubt we invest huge money in all those areas, but something just isn't working, or isn't working at the level or consistency it should.

That is why I, were I given the power, would be analyzing those departments. I know we send coaches to other schools to learn from their coaching staffs, and we do the same in return. I wonder if we do something similar with S&C/Nutrition/Psychology. I know there are annual conventions for all those things as well, so hopefully our staffs are taking part. But it seems like one-on-one sessions with some other currently elite schools might help us get up another level.

No attack intended, just a question.

Recruiting Stars/meanings.

In regards to motivation, team leadership, working hard in the weight room? Are the kids we recruit, graded on this type of stuff, IE big motor, leadership and if they are what portion of that goes into the grading. I remember the coach at Bama saying the kids were all Bentleys, he just put spinners on them. Are we recruiting less than a Bentley, meaning a kid that may not have the work ethic, or been taught that work ethic, and we are having to instill it?

Meaning a kid we recruit is rated a 3 due to his past performance on this. And a Bama kids star ranking has more to do with his past performance on this type of stuff. Just wondering if it is part of the recruiting. If it is, then it would take longer possibly to develop that athlete.

Pelini said something that I think somewhat puts part of this conversation to bed - there's a reason guys like Suh and Amukamara come back to Nebraska to train with Dobson in the off season. Suh could go wherever and have whoever train him in the off season - he chooses Dobson. Amukamara does the same thing, and I've occasionally seen other former players like Helu back during the off season to work out.

Maybe there's something to the motivational side of it all, but a lot of that is largely speculative at this point which is why I think this argument is very silly.

Nebraska has problems, but IMHO Dobson and his work is the least of them.