Mike Golic goes off.........

StPaulHusker

Terrence Garvin of the Pittsburgh Steelers annihilated Punter Kevin Huber during a run back by Antonio Brown. Dean Blandino, head of NFL officiating says that Huber is a defenseless player "throughout the ENTIRE play."

Mike Golic of Mike and Mike in the Morning had something to say about it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10155375/dean-blandino-head-nfl-officials-says-hit-kevin-huber-was-illegal

Golic is being pretty dumb in this instance. Blandino wasn't offering an opinion, he was referencing the rulebook, which states that a punter is defenseless the entire time. If you're going to get all angry, get angry at the rulebook, not at the head of officiating citing it.

Or just cry about it.

I can't listen to that guy. His high pitched whining is almost enough to sear a hole right through my ear drums. The guy is a douschebag and when he takes a stance on something he tends to take it to the extreme. Almost refusing to see the other side of the argument. They pull this act all the time, this good guy/ bad guy thing. I believe it is an act a lot of times. But still annoying as hell. The other Mike, not the heavier one, is like a weasel with a voice and hard to take serious. Unfortunately I've heard that radio show a few too many times.

A lot of you are missing the point of what Golic said. He conceded that the hit should have been a flag/fine. The thing that he was upset with was the rule that a punter is a defenseless player throughout the entire play.

I have to say I agree with his stance on this. If a punter is defenseless and is going to be protected during the entire play by the refs, then he shouldn't be able to make the tackle either. It's just another unrealistic rule made by a group of people who have probably never actually played the game of football - especially not on the level that these players do. It's such a fast game out there, and for the big wigs to expect these NFL players to slow down, recognize that the guy is a punter, and have it register in his mind that "okay, this is the punter so I can only block him half as hard as I normally would" is completely unrealistic.

A lot of you are missing the point of what Golic said. He conceded that the hit should have been a flag/fine. The thing that he was upset with was the rule that a punter is a defenseless player throughout the entire play.

I have to say I agree with his stance on this. If a punter is defenseless and is going to be protected during the entire play by the refs, then he shouldn't be able to make the tackle either. It's just another unrealistic rule made by a group of people who have probably never actually played the game of football - especially not on the level that these players do. It's such a fast game out there, and for the big wigs to expect these NFL players to slow down, recognize that the guy is a punter, and have it register in his mind that "okay, this is the punter so I can only block him half as hard as I normally would" is completely unrealistic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_competition_committee

This makes it even more confusing as to why the rules are the way they are.