Perspective from a current player's father.

While I agree with most of you, I think the players do need to be less sensitive all the time. Kenny Bell is a good example of someone letting it get to them.

Well to be fair Kenny Bell is held to a high standard. Alot is expected of him, and he is a unique talent and star on the team. When we lose the stars of the team will be the ones asked about the loss, and unfortunately attacked via social media by "fans".

While I agree with most of you, I think the players do need to be less sensitive all the time. Kenny Bell is a good example of someone letting it get to them.

I don't think he lets it get to him. I think he just gives it back to the douchenozzles that think they're cool tweeting nonsense to him after games.

The players who chose to come here deserve our respect. They put their well being on the line to play the game and those who chose to play for Nebraska, for us, deserve to be respected.

I don't disagree - it's just that I don't think it's fair to characterize it as the players are sacrificing themselves purely for our benefit. They choose to take an opportunity they've earned, an opportunity that comes both with a lot of pressures and a lot of reward. 'To whom much is given, much is expected'...and a great many players over the years have risen to that standard and way, way beyond. :thumbs

The players who chose to come here deserve our respect. They put their well being on the line to play the game and those who chose to play for Nebraska, for us, deserve to be respected.

I don't disagree - it's just that I don't think it's fair to characterize it as the players are sacrificing themselves purely for our benefit. They choose to take an opportunity they've earned, an opportunity that comes both with a lot of pressures and a lot of reward. 'To whom much is given, much is expected'...and a great many players over the years have risen to that standard and way, way beyond. :thumbs

I can get behind that. My thinking is this: Football is driven by the fans. Players want to get into the NFL for two reasons. 1) To make millions of dollars 2) To be idolized by the fans. Without the monster that is football fandom what would become of the teams and players. We need them as much as they need us.

Our own beloved coach sometimes forgets this but I still like the big galoot.

oh god. these are 200-300lb MEN, not little kids. Grow the "F" up. Poor kids get a $200k education and treated like gods in Lincoln. Its SOOOOO rough. Its no wonder our team lacks any sort toughness with excuses like this. This is big boy football, if you cant handle it, go play tennis.

A 4-year NU education is nowhere near $200K.

Out-of-state and room&board would be close to that number

Out of state tuition is around 21K, room and board + food + books can vary but its around $9K a year. So, that's 30K a year which is 120K in 4 years. Take into fact that a lot students will stop living in the dorms and go for a cheap apartment after their freshman or sophomore year

The internet has magnified 'blowing off steam' exponentially. Almost every rational discussion gets overrun by emotional outbursts from old adolescents. Fans of big schools like Nebraska are the worst...at the level of some kind of idol worship. I don't think we're as bad as Alabama fans but you have to wonder why the outcome of these games is so all consuming of some people.

• Fire 1

The negatives resonate far more in our minds than positives.

I think it's hard for our players, and players at any other program that has a huge fan base, to understand that the support we give by showing up and cheering on Saturday doesn't exactly happen everywhere. So while we may think that showing up and cheering and being loud should be enough, that perspective might not be shared by the players.

Even if the people on Twitter are people who don't represent the majority of the fan base, their words still resonate as if they are. It's not hard to see where this us vs world mentality comes from. But we would benefit if we had a person in charge who embraces the fans more than the current head coach. We would also benefit by getting rid of social media, but that's not going to happen.

There were no excuses made in this article. It was an article from a parent, attempting to give us fans who aren't parents of a player a look into their lives. Why some of us come off and attack this new perspective is ridiculous.

• Fire 2

The negatives resonate far more in our minds than positives.

I think it's hard for our players, and players at any other program that has a huge fan base, to understand that the support we give by showing up and cheering on Saturday doesn't exactly happen everywhere. So while we may think that showing up and cheering and being loud should be enough, that perspective might not be shared by the players.

Even if the people on Twitter are people who don't represent the majority of the fan base, their words still resonate as if they are. It's not hard to see where this us vs world mentality comes from. But we would benefit if we had a person in charge who embraces the fans more than the current head coach. We would also benefit by getting rid of social media, but that's not going to happen.

There were no excuses made in this article. It was an article from a parent, attempting to give us fans who aren't parents of a player a look into their lives. Why some of us come off and attack this new perspective is ridiculous.

can also use social media to send a more positive message to the players and drown out the negative ones. it seems the negative points are the ones getting to the coaches and players. maybe we just need to step up more for the team as fans to put forth a positive message.