Bo's Job Security - 2013(ish)

knapplc

I had promised to run this poll four times, once in July, after the non-conference schedule was complete, after the Iowa game and again after the bowl game. Of course running the poll now would be stupid because you don't fire a coach at this point, so Bo's job (on UNL's end) is secure for another year. But this is as good a time as any to revisit the polling numbers and to check out the results. As tumultuous as this season was, the polls fluctuated wildly, and there were several opinions changed as the season wore on.

The July Poll was answered by 150 people. The breakdown was:

How likely is it that Bo Pelini gets fired after the 2013 season?

Very Likely (1.33%)

Somewhat Likely (0.67%)

Unsure (2.67%)

Somewhat Unlikely (9.33%)

Very Unlikely (86.00%)

Spirits always run high in the runup before the first game, and last year was no exception. The offense was set to be Scoring Explosion 2.0, we had an incumbent Senior quarterback allegedly all healed up from his career-long injuries, Ameer coming back, lots of experience on the Offensive Line and what was, on paper anyway, the Big Ten's best Wide Receiver corps. The Defense was clearly a concern, but with that offense we all figured they'd have time to reach their stride.

Bo being fired? Pshaw! Nobody saw that coming.

Fast-forward to the end of September and the close of non-conference play and things looked quite different.

The September Poll already showed a shift in the mindset of the board. 172 people answered this poll. The breakdown was:

Very Likely (6.98%)

Somewhat Likely (20.35%)

Unsure (17.44%)

Somewhat Unlikely (27.33%)

Very Unlikely (27.91%)

Various dings and dents were already showing in the Offensive Line, Taylor was apparently injured quite badly, and although Ameer was being his typical Super Guapo self, not a lot else was working very well. We had one comfortable win, one crushing loss, and two very shaky wins against what should have been well-overmatched opponents. With conference play looming, however, over half the board still thought Bo's job was pretty darned safe. Several weak games to open the conference schedule were up next, and most were anticipating heading into the Ann Arbor showdown against Michigan with just the one loss to UCLA. Win that game and Indianapolis was still very much in the cards for this team. Win that and the Bo Bandwagon would have been off and running once again.

We all know how conference play worked out. Martinez' last Husker game at Minnesota was an unmitigated disaster, we eked out a win on a crazy Hail Mary against Northwestern, beat Michigan in front of 110,000... and then the wheels largely fell off, losing two of three down the stretch and missing out on a shot at the title. Worse still, those losses were at home and we were easily outplayed in both. Fumbles, INTs, poor tackling and blocking - you name it.

Perhaps worst of all was this unpleasant fact: Fully 1/3 of the stadium wore Black & Gold the day after Thanksgiving, as Husker Fan sold their remaining home game tickets en masse after the disappointment of missing out on the Conference Championship Game. Four months after the first poll, Husker Nation had their tar and feathers all lined up for Black Friday.

The November Poll looked decidedly different than the July poll. 114 answered this poll. The breakdown was:

Very Likely (43.86%)

Somewhat Likely (28.95%)

Unsure (9.65%)

Somewhat Unlikely (9.65%)

Very Unlikely (7.89%)

The nearly 71% turnaround from the beginning of the season was fueled not only by the two crushing losses to close out hope of a solid end to the season, but largely by Bo's own behavior during and after the Iowa game. Bo's infamous temper and combative style returned in all its ugly glory that day as he earned his first sideline penalty of the season, then followed that up with a post-game presser wherein he openly dared the Administration to fire him. It's likely that even more votes would have been cast in this poll (it was the lowest-voted in poll of the three) had Shawn Eichorst not released a statement amid the firestorm assuring us that Bo was not, in fact, getting fired - thus rendering the poll moot.

As the swing in voting suggests, it was a crazy season, a season of might-have-beens, a broken-record repeat of the last few years. The unrest lingers today, and many valid questions remain about the state of this program and if we have the right team in the rigging to get us sailing in the right direction.

• Fire 6

I answered "Very Unlikely" on the first poll and said:

Tell you what, if Bo never wins a championship but still churns out 10 or even 9 wins every single year, there is no way he'll get fired.

I still feel that way now. Bo will be here forever, going 9-4 or 10-4 every year, regardless of excuses, injuries, execution, or public perception.

Audio-gate only galvanized public support in Bo's favor, and his antics during and after the Iowa game were almost George Costanza-like in trying to get fired. There will never be a better time and situation to fire Bo than at that time, but it didn't happen. He's not going anywhere. Everrrr.

simpsons-1.png

• Fire 1

I enjoyed this a lot.

I have to admit, Bo's attempt at suicide by cop after the Iowa game I feel is going to take a long time to wash off, if it can at all. That was one of the more embarrassing moments by a University of Nebraska leader in recent memory.

It also just furthers the belief (I won't say "fear", because to truly fear something about Nebraska football is lame) that Bo is suffering from some pretty extreme hubris. His "I don't apologize for anything I've done" stand (before apologizing) can be grouped in with his "you never apologize for ten wins" after the Wisconsin CCG trampling. This kind of attitude has leaked over to some of his more fervent supporters. Our own resident rental car worker/"head coach", before falling on his sword said himself "Bo had completely turned the program after the 2010 season...."

No he hasn't.

Bo did an admirable job in 08-2010 in getting the program back to where it was. It was a team that played for a conference title before having a horrific year. That team showed flashes of brilliance, made a ton of mental errors, made plays that excited us, lost games it shouldn't, and had some really transcendent talent on it.

Throwing out 2007, which year am I talking about? 2009? 2006? 2010? All of them?

I think the biggest difference between 08 and 07 was obviously the coaching changes. Fresh ideas, new looks, clean slates. If Bo truly thinks this is the ceiling, and this is the staff to do it, well the bowl win was nice but it's really hard to hope for anything to improve. Obviously we don't know what. Bo is going to do yet, but I hope it's something.

In 2008 Bo won a Gator Bowl against a team he likely should have lost to. He just did it again to complete the beginning, peak and end of his first six years. I'm hoping he's starting another climb with a higher peak than just an identical one again, but he's not changing any of his gear.

• Fire 4

While I am glad Nebraska won the Gator Bowl, I am not shocked. Georgia was without their SEC-record setting quarterback, who was also a senior. Their all-star running back, Gurley, clearly was hurt. I saw him hobbling around toward the end of the game. Lord knows the number of times Cunningham mentioned them losing their entire wide receiving core.

If this is what we can expect from Bo, winning 9 or 10 games but always losing at least 4, how can one possibly be satisfied? Beating Georgia and winning the Gator Bowl is only impressive if the team improves next year. But if they stall, fail to win the division, and wind up at the Gator Bowl/BWW Bowl/Outback Bowl, how can the average fan be excited? At that point, the program is stuck in neutral.

Tell you what, if Bo never wins a championship but still churns out 10 or even 9 wins every single year, there is no way he'll get fired.

I still feel that way now. Bo will be here forever, going 9-4 or 10-4 every year, regardless of excuses, injuries, execution, or public perception.

Yeah, have to agree with you. He essentially asked them to fire him this year and they didn't. Looking at the schedule, I see next year playing out very similar.

I'd like to see next year's poll centered around your satisfaction with the job that Bo is doing - not the likelyhood that he is fired. Too many outside influences to a firing. I'd actually like to see 3 questions.

1) I am satisfied with the job that Bo Pelini is doing as head coach at Nebraska. 1-6 (strongly disagree - strongly agree).

2) I am satisfied with the current state of the program.

3) Bo Pelini should be retained for an additional season.

I'd like to see the discrepancy between the 3. I vary, especially with the second. I think the program is in a decent place, which is why I think the next guy would be coming into a great position, with talent, support, etc - which is also why I can't strongly disagree that I'm satisfied with the job that he's doing. He's not doing a terrible job, not even close. However, I strongly disagree that Bo Pelini should be retained for another season, for many reasons outside of just wins and losses. It's the job that Pelini did righting the ship, that makes me confident that the next hire would be successful.

• Fire 2

Good suggestion, chris. It's quite clear I threw that poll together on a whim. Those would be much better questions to ask next year. :thumbs

It was still very telling. I thought for sure he was getting fired after the Iowa game. 71% of this board though it was at least somewhat likely - meaning they were leaning towards him getting the boot. (not necessarily that they wanted him to, but that they thought he would). That's incredible.

Audio-gate only galvanized public support in Bo's favor, and his antics during and after the Iowa game were almost George Costanza-like in trying to get fired. There will never be a better time and situation to fire Bo than at that time, but it didn't happen. He's not going anywhere. Everrrr.

Unsure of how serious you meant your last statement, but I disagree.

Before and during this season (until after Iowa), I was 100% convinced Bo would not get fired.

However, I think Eichorst's ears will start ringing throughout next season due to the noise if the W/L looks like its trending/finishes like it has been during Bo's tenure. I don't think there will be tangible proof to continue to believe he hasn't maxed out.

I think short of a conference championship or 2-loss or better season with a competitive showing in the conference championship the teeth gnashing will be too loud to ignore.

It's the job that Pelini did righting the ship, that makes me confident that the next hire would be successful.

I don't share your confidence the next hire would be successful. In the last poll, I voted it was unlikely Pelini would be fired. His behavior is not an offense he would lose his job over. When "hot seat" lists came out, Pelini's record....both this season and career....stood out compared to all other coaches on those lists. Pelini's job is not in danger if he continues winning, barring anything major off the field.

Unsure of how serious you meant your last statement, but I disagree.

Before and during this season (until after Iowa), I was 100% convinced Bo would not get fired.

However, I think Eichorst's ears will start ringing throughout next season due to the noise if the W/L looks like its trending/finishes like it has been during Bo's tenure. I don't think there will be tangible proof to continue to believe he hasn't maxed out.

I think short of a conference championship or 2-loss or better season with a competitive showing in the conference championship the teeth gnashing will be too loud to ignore.

I agree with this. The Gator Bowl win gives us some optimism - it showed that we could remain focus and play a fairly consistent game. However, if next year ends wt 4 losses again, I think we will see a change and the reason for no change this year - the cost of buying out Bo's contract. I still think Bo is on the hot seat next year and we'll have the same noise - only a CC will silence the cry for change - Bo came here to win championships (his words) - time to do it.

Pelini only did a great job righting the ship because he had T.O.'s hand in his back. "We will give you your first head coaching job if you do this", so to speak. Don't act like he did it on his own accord. I may never be a Boliever . The guy is a cartoon. I have a relative that played golf with him once and said he was a major dick. No way to prove that to anyone, but if you think he acts like that just on the field, your nuts. I thought the bowl game was a big improvement in all phases of our game. Those are the type of consistent improvements you look for. If they would have lost, I would have been satisfied with the game plan, effort and clean game. But those improvements have not been consistent over 6 years. we have went backwards in areas. Everybody can change, Bo handled himself like a head coach of a major program during the bowl game. If that continues, my opinion could change as well. But in 6 years that has yet to happen. I will always support the program.

it'd be interesting to see how many of you folks that think Bo's a dick or just feel entitled to winning championships went to the Gator Bowl. I did, and out of the few dozen fans I talked to, not one of them thought Bo was a bad coach for us- that said, another interesting thing (for me) was most of them were not from eastern Nebraska, but places like Texas, Georgia, Florida and California.(me included)

Could it be that wieners like Dirk Shatforbrains influence the views of eastern Nebraskans ? Seems like the further you are from the Weird Heralds reach, the more you appreciate what Bo has to put up with-

Of course, when I'm dealing with fools, I tell them to F-off too, so maybe that brash and honest behavior turns off the otiose, panty wearing part of our fan base. Who knows?