2014 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup Discussion Thread

knapplc

Putting a Bow on the 2014 Starting Lineup

NOTE - please read the bottom paragraph in this post for an important announcement about your avatars.

I had some fun putting this together last year so here we go again. Some stats from the 2014 Starting Lineup...

Total number of people nominated: 240

That's down a bit from last year (256) but still far more than the previous three years.

Total number of unique nominations: 79

That's 79 different people nominated to a position, down slightly from last year (87). 2010, the first year of the Starting Lineup, still represents the high-water mark for unique nominations at 90.

People nominated but not elected to a position: 40

That's down a bit from last year (50), but still

Total Votes Cast: 1,222

Last year was again the high-water mark for total votes (1,328), which is kinda surprising considering the ugly way the season ended. I theorize that participation in the Starting Lineup trends with the board's feelings at the end of the season when this thing starts up, but that theory may not be true. We won a pretty exciting bowl game this year, but the board is more dead than last year.

Most persons nominated for a single position: 15

That was for Running Back, eventually won by ADS and Mavric. That's one short of last year's record-setting 16 nominations for the Fullback position (still surprised by that). Every single Offensive position (QB, RB, FB, WR, TE, OG, OT & C) had ten or more people nominated, along with both the Offensive Coordinator and Head Coach. Last year I thought having the first nine positions earning ten or more nominations was a record; this eclipses that by two.

There are 24 positions, meaning the average number of nominations per position was an even 10 this year. The position with the fewest nominations this year was the newly-created Strength & Conditioning duo, which only had five nominations. Both of the new positions this year, Strength & Conditioning & Recruiting, had five people on the ballot, the fewest candidates on any of the ballots. Participation in the nomination/seconding process typically wanes toward the end, so that's not unusual.

Average number of times those elected were nominated: 4.23

That's pretty average, I think - last year the average was 4.16.

Last year nobody was elected after only being nominated one time. This year four different people were nominated only one time, and elected to that position: da skers (Head Coach), GM_Tood (Linebacker), Mr. Accountability (Offensive Coordinator) and ZRod (Offensive Tackle).

Last year one person was nominated 10 times, while this year the most times nominated was eight (meaning these guys were nominated for 1/3 of the positions). Two people were nominated eight times (sd'sker & teachercd). Four other people were nominated seven times and six were nominated six times. 30 different people were nominated only once.

Most times nominated but not elected: 8

The updated all-time leaderboard for most nominations without being elected:

Most Nominations/Not Elected - All Time

Year - Times - Person

C N Red - 9 - 2012

teachercd - 8 - 2014

Lyons in a sea of red. - 7 - 2013

Atbone95 - 7 - 2013

BigRedBuster - 6 - 2014

Kansas Husker - 6 - 2010

beanman - 5 - 2014

HuskerShark - 5 - 2013

Hedley Lamarr - 5 - 2013

Eight people have been nominated four times and not been elected, including two this year (Ladyhawke & Bucky).

Nominated but not seconded: 6

This is way down from a year ago (11 last year) and that's great. I do my best to remind people that "Member123" has been nominated and needs a second to appear on the ballot, and a lot of times I'll hold my choice off until the end to give a second to someone, but this is an area I'd like to challenge the members to keep up with - especially those people already elected to a position. If those folks already elected kept helping others out, that would mostly eliminate this issue. I'd like to see everyone have a chance to at least be on the ballot.

Nominated but ineligible for the ballot because they're already elected to a position: 17

The single biggest example of this was the Defensive Coordinator position, where GSG, walks and Fowler were all nominated (and seconded) but each was elected to a position in the ongoing election (GSG & Fowler were OGs; walks is the Center). I'm going to work on something to try to eliminate this, but it's probably an inevitable situation. It's what happens when you run votes and nominations concurrently.

Fewest number of votes which elected someone: 5

Last year this was 8, but this year it dropped even lower. This was HuskerShark who won the Equipment Manager position, one of the last two positions up for election in this thing. With the waning interest as this wears on, and running the end of voting into Signing Day, it's not surprising there would be fewer votes. This was a hotly-contested race, though, with SkerChicago and Atbone95 one vote behind. Votes were pretty evenly spread in this one. Two other positions, Fullback and Place Kicker, were elected with six votes (The Dude at FB, Jarvis at PK).

Most votes earned in a single category: 36

Last year this record was 27. This is probably the single-most votes anyone has gotten in any vote in the five years we've been doing this, and it probably couldn't have happened to a more universally-liked guy. Pretty sure everyone likes Crewe. Well, everyone except Warden Hazen. But that guy's a jerk.

Most votes received throughout the process: 58

That was none other than sd'sker, who was nominated for eight different posiitons before being elected. 15 of those came in the Defensive End vote, wherein he was finally elected to the Lineup after missing out on seven previous nominations. Those nominations included Head Coach, Offensive Coordinator, Running Back, Tight End, Center, Defensive Coordinator and Defensive Tackle. That's eight of the first thirteen categories he was nominated for, for those of you scoring at home.

The person with the most votes without being elected was teachercd, also nominated eight times and earning 38 total votes. beanman was nominated five times and had 23 total votes, and BigRedBuster was nominated six times and had 18 total votes, yet none of these guys was elected.

And that brings us to the last group, the group of folks who were nominated and voted for, but just missed the actual factual team. These are the Walk-On and Scout Team members. This is the third year time we've had these positions, so expect to see them from now on.

2014 Walk-On Class

teachercd

BigRedBuster

beanman

Ladyhawke

Bucky

That's a list you can look at and say, "Why isn't (that guy) on the team?!?" Each of these people were nominated four or more times, and each narrowly missed out on being elected to a position. Each of these folks is well-known and respected member, in good standing, and nobody would have been surprised to see them voted into a position. I'll PM you all and, if you want an avatar, I'll hook you up.

2014 Scout Team

SkerChicago

Blackshirts007

kchusker_chris

Enhance89

Another group integral to the conversations at HuskerBoard. Each of these guys were nominated three times, and all are names familiar to everyone here. Each of these guys makes this place better by their presence. If they're willing, I've got avatars for each as well.

Schedule Tweak

Every year we do this, we get more familiar with how this works and what doesn't work so well. One thing that needs tweaking is the schedule. Several people talked about not having the Defensive Coordinator position so far back in the thing, and that's a pretty decent idea. So I'm moving that up to the front, and the DC will be nominated/elected along with the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.

Campaigning

Next year there will also be a Campaigning Thread. You want a position, but you think may be overlooked? There'll be a place for you to post your CV for everyone to see, to campaign as madly as you want. Creativity will play a key role in this thread, so don't just post some weak "I want a spot" nonsense - that won't help. Make it fun and funny. When I create the campaigning thread I'm going to encourage everyone reading to not nominate anyone who half-asses their campaign.

Campaigning outside that thread will continue to have dire consequences. This year Landlord and Mills (and Bucky in camaraderie with Landlord) were good sports enough to wear the dreaded Buffaloes avatar. I'm keeping that thing, and that'll be the punishment next year. I know, it's horrifying and shocking and most likely would be considered cruel and unusual by Geneva Convention standards, but as Ming-Ming would say, "This is serious!"

The Starting Lineup Panel of Really Serious and Knowledgeable Judges

I had fun with C N Red with a "vote" about his possible campaigning this year (results: he wasn't), but I should not be the sole arbiter of who is or isn't campaigning outside the Campaigning Thread. We'll elect these three people and they will decide if there has been campaigning. I will not be one of those three people.

I've created a thread HERE for your input on a few things. Feel free to start discussions of other changes in that thread as well.

Possibly the last thing (I think I'm forgetting something).

THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE ELECTED

The site I used to host your avatars is not reliable. It goes down at times, unpredictably. I strongly suggest you save your avatar(s) to your computer so you have them in case of emergency. I will not be keeping the PMs I sent you with your avatars, and I don't know if they'll be deleted from your access when I delete mine. SAVE YOUR AVATAR.

So, anyway. Thanks. :)

• Fire 3

I did forget something.

The Hall of Fame

Several folks have said they'd voluntarily withdraw their name from the next Starting Lineup. We tend to have the same or similar group of people elected every year, while some folks who maybe would be elected aren't. The proposed idea to fix that was to have a Hall of Fame, where people could retire from consideration for the Starting Lineup. I think this is a fantastic idea, and would free up spots for new people, or just others who seem to be nominated but don't quite make the cut.

QUESTIONS:

1) Should induction into the Hall of Fame (and with that, becoming ineligible for future Starting Lineup positions) be mandatory or strictly voluntary?

2) What criteria should we have for induction? Must have been elected into the Starting Lineup twice? Three times? Four?

3) If we have a Hall of Fame, how should those folks be recognized? A separate Hall of Fame thread, avatars, both, something else?

4) Should the Panel of Really Serious and Knowledgeable Judges be solely made up of Hall of Fame members?

I had typed up a response with Landlord's & Minnesota's positions over the years, but I must have closed the tab before posting it, 'cause it isn't here. I hate when I do that.

Landlord's positions

2010 - WR

2011 - CB

2012 - TE

2013 - RB

2014 - TE

Minnesota's positions

2010 - DE

2011 - Towel Boy

2012 - CB

2013 - LB

2014 - PR

I'd have to dig around in my vault to find old avatars. I don't know if I kept any from 2010 & 2011.

I am trying to understand why I have absolutely no knowledge of being on the lineup in 2010 and 2011.

Either way if we had avatars hidden somewhere, either knapp or whoever created them, that would be pretty neat.

Can we have a cool name for eachother... Like the legendary duo of awesome...

Ok, you might want to create the name... but we need to make sure we separate ourselves from non-five time winners