Could this concept potentially work?

Foppa

Before I moved to London and then New Zealand, my buddies and I had been going to Spring games every year. And don't get me wrong, it was fun to get a taste of Husker football in the off-season. You get to see the new talent coming up, and get a pretense of what the fall may offer. But...

...at the same time, it really doesn't offer very much, other than a scrimmage that I think they do before the Spring game, and also a couple of times in the fall.

But what if...what if...schools were allowed to play each other in a home-and-home scrimmage instead of against their own teammates?

They do it in preseason basketball all the time, although the talent level of the teams are usually significantly different. I'm only thinking on a Nebraska prospective, but a scrimmage against Kansas St? Missouri? The interest level would go up even higher, and it wouldn't have to determine anything other than give the preseason ranking guys something to think about. ESPN, among others, are already televising Spring games, how would this not create even more interest/revenue? I realize that not all the next years' roster would be around for any team, as many incoming freshman don't join the team until the fall, but it might give a little more gauge about what you're up against.

I wouldn't know how the scheduling could work, or even if the NCAA would allow something like it. Just thought it was interesting. Let me know what you think.

Before I moved to London and then New Zealand, my buddies and I had been going to Spring games every year. And don't get me wrong, it was fun to get a taste of Husker football in the off-season. You get to see the new talent coming up, and get a pretense of what the fall may offer. But...

...at the same time, it really doesn't offer very much, other than a scrimmage that I think they do before the Spring game, and also a couple of times in the fall.

But what if...what if...schools were allowed to play each other in a home-and-home scrimmage instead of against their own teammates?

They do it in preseason basketball all the time, although the talent level of the teams are usually significantly different. I'm only thinking on a Nebraska prospective, but a scrimmage against Kansas St? Missouri? The interest level would go up even higher, and it wouldn't have to determine anything other than give the preseason ranking guys something to think about. ESPN, among others, are already televising Spring games, how would this not create even more interest/revenue? I realize that not all the next years' roster would be around for any team, as many incoming freshman don't join the team until the fall, but it might give a little more gauge about what you're up against.

I wouldn't know how the scheduling could work, or even if the NCAA would allow something like it. Just thought it was interesting. Let me know what you think.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Make it more of an actual game than a glorified practice. I think there would be some major obstacles to make it happen but I think it would be possible. I don't see how it couldn't attract more interest/revenue, especially in NE where we already have one of the highest spring game attendances nationally.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Make it more of an actual game than a glorified practice. I think there would be some major obstacles to make it happen but I think it would be possible. I don't see how it couldn't attract more interest/revenue, especially in NE where we already have one of the highest spring game attendances nationally.

One of the downfalls my buddies and I thought of was...well...what happens in the year you have to travel to the game at the school? Well, kind of like what I said in the OP...I think NU usually holds an intramural scrimmage in the spring before the spring game, I could be wrong. But if not, what would be wrong with any school doing that before scrimmaging against another university?

The argument against things like mega playoffs and more revenue-generating actual games has been the topic of player safety. I know this would be in the spring, but I dont see it as even close to feasible. And obviously you cant put a team like Nebraska against someone like UNK or Hastings College for the sake of safety. As much as i would like to see it, I dont see it happening, like ever.

One of the downfalls my buddies and I thought of was...well...what happens in the year you have to travel to the game at the school? Well, kind of like what I said in the OP...I think NU usually holds an intramural scrimmage in the spring before the spring game, I could be wrong. But if not, what would be wrong with any school doing that before scrimmaging against another university?

Correct. The real spring game is the week before the spring game. That's the big daddy, where the coaches really cut the guys loose. What we see at the spring game is so watered down-both mentally and physically-that I dont seen how anyone comes out of that with any sort of legit expectations. And now with the BTN media coverage, it's even more toned back.

Sounds intriguing and would seem to be a bigger draw for the fans than an intra-squad scrimmage, but I'm not sure it would serve much of a purpose for the team or coaches. Teams don't want to get anyone hurt and wouldn't show what they can really do. I think it might be the equivalent of an NFL week 4 preseason game and those are pretty disinteresting. Probably wouldn't be any more telling than the typical spring game. On the plus side, it could be used to generate more revenue.

Sounds intriguing and would seem to be a bigger draw for the fans than an intra-squad scrimmage, but I'm not sure it would serve much of a purpose for the team or coaches. Teams don't want to get anyone hurt and wouldn't show what they can really do. I think it might be the equivalent of an NFL week 4 preseason game and those are pretty disinteresting. Probably wouldn't be any more telling than the typical spring game. On the plus side, it could be used to generate more revenue.

I also think this is what Landlord was probably referring to, but I'm not sure because he didn't respond so I don't really want to speak for him. But...what's the point of holding the scrimmage if everyone is half-assing it? It kind of goes back to the threads about conditioning and the level of intensity of practice. Injuries are going to happen. It's just the name of the game with football. But if it's an 'understanding' that your practice or scrimmage isn't full-speed, then what's the point of even doing it?

edit: Landlord responded when I was typing this...I predicted the 'injury' argument...but not the 'scouting' aspect. I'm not sure...I think even in a scrimmage, both teams would work hard to win, but still not show their entire hand.

Too much could potentially go wrong.

Such as?

Injuries and opponents scouting, mostly.

I'd venture to argue that there is more potential to happen in a scrimmage, where the players are more apt to not be going 100 percent at all times, as opposed to a game with another opponent where they are less likely to let up. Injuries are more likely when players are lolly-gagging.