Could this concept potentially work?

Foppa

Too much could potentially go wrong.

Such as?

Injuries and opponents scouting, mostly.

I'd venture to argue that there is more potential to happen in a scrimmage, where the players are more apt to not be going 100 percent at all times, as opposed to a game with another opponent where they are less likely to let up. Injuries are more likely when players are lolly-gagging.

It seems to be a consensus. That's what so many media/coaches seem to say, anyway.

Such as?

I'd venture to argue that there is more potential to happen in a scrimmage, where the players are more apt to not be going 100 percent at all times, as opposed to a game with another opponent where they are less likely to let up. Injuries are more likely when players are lolly-gagging.

Yep. It's hard to motivate kids to go 100% for a game that doesn't actually have tangible meaning, unless it's a school you hate and want to pound into the ground, but that just increases recklessness and anger which can also lead to getting hurt, getting into fights, etc.

Sounds intriguing and would seem to be a bigger draw for the fans than an intra-squad scrimmage, but I'm not sure it would serve much of a purpose for the team or coaches. Teams don't want to get anyone hurt and wouldn't show what they can really do. I think it might be the equivalent of an NFL week 4 preseason game and those are pretty disinteresting. Probably wouldn't be any more telling than the typical spring game. On the plus side, it could be used to generate more revenue.

I also think this is what Landlord was probably referring to, but I'm not sure because he didn't respond so I don't really want to speak for him. But...what's the point of holding the scrimmage if everyone is half-assing it? It kind of goes back to the threads about conditioning and the level of intensity of practice. Injuries are going to happen. It's just the name of the game with football. But if it's an 'understanding' that your practice or scrimmage isn't full-speed, then what's the point of even doing it?

edit: Landlord responded when I was typing this...I predicted the 'injury' argument...but not the 'scouting' aspect. I'm not sure...I think even in a scrimmage, both teams would work hard to win, but still not show their entire hand.

I agree with you on this. I would like to see them go full bore whether it's intra-squad or vs another team. I think real, live contact may be in short supply in the practice environment and this could help get them some of that. But, I just don't see it being utilized that way, either way. I've only been to one spring game and it was no more than a glorified practice session with everyone getting to see some action. My take away was that the primary purpose was to get the youngsters on the field in front of an almost packed house just to give them a taste. Not sure how or if they would ever transition that into a "real" game against a real opponent.

Such as?

Yep. It's hard to motivate kids to go 100% for a game that doesn't actually have tangible meaning, unless it's a school you hate and want to pound into the ground, but that just increases recklessness and anger which can also lead to getting hurt, getting into fights, etc.

And that's why I mentioned two schools (that are close), KSU and MU. It may not mean a lot as far as the regular season, but you sure as hell don't want to lose to them at anything. Putt-putt golf? A spelling contest? Tell me anything NU wants to lose to Missery or KSU. And on a secondary level, if you care about your preseason rank, why not give the national media something to lead you into the regular season. Sure, it's not much, but it's a tidbit. And when it's still 4-5 months until the regular season...why not make it worth something?

Yes and no. If one guy (or a couple) are not going full speed and everyone else is, they probably have a better chance to get hurt. But if everyone basically know that it's not all-out, I don't think it's a big deal.

Yes and no. If one guy (or a couple) are not going full speed and everyone else is, they probably have a better chance to get hurt. But if everyone basically know that it's not all-out, I don't think it's a big deal.

But isn't that the problem? I've seen so many reports/posts about how practices are watered down under Bo. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is...why? Because you're afraid of injuries? We lost our starting QB, all-american o-lineman, lots of other lineman, wide receiver...Look, I get it about Jack last year, and that was awesome. But the NCAA doesn't really give you a lot of time to get things sorted out. I don't get this 'protection' mentality when all you have to do is look at last season and realize that that doesn't really make a difference. If you're teaching these kids that you only have to go hard sometimes...then what is that really prophesying?

But isn't that the problem? I've seen so many reports/posts about how practices are watered down under Bo. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is...why? Because you're afraid of injuries? We lost our starting QB, all-american o-lineman, lots of other lineman, wide receiver...Look, I get it about Jack last year, and that was awesome. But the NCAA doesn't really give you a lot of time to get things sorted out. I don't get this 'protection' mentality when all you have to do is look at last season and realize that that doesn't really make a difference. If you're teaching these kids that you only have to go hard sometimes...then what is that really prophesying?

I was mainly referring to the actual spring game. I have no idea how our practices are run or how that compares to other places. I have a suspicion that we do basically what most other schools do and it's just one more thing to speculate about for those who are ready for Bo to be gone.

The NFL does very little contact during the season. I would suspect that most major colleges have cut way back on their mid-week contact as well. It seems like the practice reports indicate we usually have one big contact day during the week and the rest is restricted. That would be right on par with NFL practices.

I'm not saying we should be like the NFL - just I've heard more reports about NFL practices than other colleges but I'm betting everyone is on a similar trend these days.

sounds great

so obviously the NCAA is going to reject it

I just had to laugh at your sig line, huKSer...I've played that play quite a few times on youtube, and I can't say Ed was wrong in his prediction (he was wrong about a lot of things, he was just saying 'play it safe'), but I'm really glad he was so very wrong when things happened the way they did.

This would be a great idea, but instead of playing other FBS teams and potentially having injuries, it would be nice to play someone in-state, like UNK, Hastings, UNO, someone like that. Yeah, it would be a lesser talented team than in the FBS, but its something you wouldn't have to open up your playbook.

The biggest problem with doing scrimmages with FBS teams, is them wanting a home-home series, which would not be good IMO. The best part of the Spring Game for me, is it being at Memorial Stadium. Do you cancel the Spring Game every other year, or do you just schedule two spring games? Two would just risk twice the amount of injuries.

Because of the time factor, an injury sustained during the regular season can usually be completely healed by the next season. (7 to 9 months). An aggravating injury during a spring scrimmage might cause a player to miss the entire regular season or cause him to miss summer workouts which puts him behind the curve when fall practice starts. It would be fun for the fans I agree.

What about the amount of reviewable tape you lose by including another team?

The spring game is a nice reward for the kids surviving spring ball. However, we all know that some kids play differently in front of a big crowd. Why would we want to limit the number of kids we can put out there and see who is a 'gamer'?

The reasons to go to the spring game have always been... 1) Hang out with your fellow Husker fans and wear red. 2) Get that stadium feel during the off season. 3) Build some excitement for what we might see this fall.

Would it help if KSU were at the stadium that day? Maybe. But it would suck to have to go down to Manhattan every other year for the spring scrimmage.

Bottom line, even if there was an opponent for us, there still would be very little buzz and maybe less time seeing the established guys than what we see now. And it might be running clock for both halves. That would suck too.

I have been to the spring game a few times and by half I have already got my check list completed and am ready to head home.

I know the off season sucks, but I don't think playing KSU for the spring game would change my outlook.