OSU gets 2 good ones

I was thinking about Chris Ash's time at Wisconsin this morning and I went back and forth.

He had some great defenses statistically but he was also in charge of DB's in '11 when we were two last second hail mary's away from playing in the big one so yea. Not sure that I blame him for all of the losses in '12, probably the MSU one though.

He'll get numbers that look good especially at OSU where, like at UW, defenses can improve their averages by playing cupcakes but I have no confidence in him being able to consistently coordinate for big games against good opponents. Saw some buckeye fans elsewhere talking up Ash saying that he did really well against OSU when he was at Wisconsin but he didn't.

It can't get much worse on the defensive side of the ball for OSU so we welcome the change.

I was thinking about Chris Ash's time at Wisconsin this morning and I went back and forth.

He had some great defenses statistically but he was also in charge of DB's in '11 when we were two last second hail mary's away from playing in the big one so yea. Not sure that I blame him for all of the losses in '12, probably the MSU one though.

He'll get numbers that look good especially at OSU where, like at UW, defenses can improve their averages by playing cupcakes but I have no confidence in him being able to consistently coordinate for big games against good opponents. Saw some buckeye fans elsewhere talking up Ash saying that he did really well against OSU when he was at Wisconsin but he didn't.

It can't get much worse on the defensive side of the ball for OSU so we welcome the change.

Well he's a "co" so it may be ok. How does that work anyhow? Who does what?

It's hard not to be frustrated and a bit anxious.

The Penn state hire of James Franklin worries me. I think he will be successful based on what he did at Vandy. Penn Sate got aggressive and made a big splash hire considering their current predicament.

OSU hiring Larry Johnson is another great hire. He will enhance there already impressive recruiting abilities.

We lost Joseph which is arguably our best assistant coach on defense and a good recruiter covering SEC country. I thought maybe Bo had a plan in place since Terry left even after he gave them a chance to make him a counter offer. Not sure if Bo was thinking he would get Marvin to come back. If he did, then he should have made sure he would be accepted back by the administration or that Marvin wanted the job back. Maybe Marvin isn't out of the picture yet, but I think we would have found something out by now.

Let's hope we know something by the end of this week. If we don't get a new DB coach soon, then recruiting will likely be impacted. Hard to get more DB's without a DB coach.

I just think it's really tough in this day and age. I'm not apologizing for Bo, because I'm not much of a fan of him....I think I just hate his attitude. I bet a lot of people hated Davaney's attitude as well (btw Devaney was from Michigan), but somehow that doesn't always translate into football miscues.

Maybe I'm getting too old...or a tad less selfish...but if someone asked me now, 'would you rather have Nebraska win a national title and the star player eventually go to prison? Or...fall short and a bunch of kids get their degrees and make a contribution to society? It makes me take a break with sports and reality. I'm not in the U.S., but one thing I love is the Academic All-Americans that the football team has produced. Sometimes you just have to look at the big picture.

I personally love Bo's attitude. The biggest issue I have had with him, is the hat deal in the Iowa game. I know he didn't think the snap would come loose, but its uncalled for. Point and yell. Show the love and passion you have for this team.

I am 100% with you on the All American Academics. Bo has recruited some great kids with great attitudes who are looking further than just football.

Well he's a "co" so it may be ok. How does that work anyhow? Who does what?

They won't officially demote Fickell but that's what this is. back to LBs

Ash didn't leave a comfy DC job to relinquish power.

Think Ash was at Wisky prior. 3 Rose Bowls........... Yep. He sucks..................

1 - Yeah, that's exactly what we said

2 - Gene Chizik got fired two years after winning the National Championship so....

Yeah, auburn and FSU showed what can happen w a transcendent heisman QB. Even VY at Texass.

We lost a HUUUUUUGE part of our offense on 3 levels: Long, TM, Turner for the meat of our sched.

The defense will be stacked next year. And our O will be pretty good, veteran.

It comes down to players making plays, period: turnovers, blocking tackling.....we look damn good in games we do that. We have beaten some good teams when we play well. And lost to teams we shouldn't when we don't. Bo gets credit for both, but in most games we kill ourselves when players don't exectute. (See MSU 2013)

Our problems don't lie in the staff. They're deeper than that.

Haven't seen that type of vague authoritarian one-liner since EZ left town.

There's a difference between vague and simple, and I left it brief because truthfully, the mindset that changing our staff will fix our most notable problems is too sophomoric for me to give much care to refuting. Accountability did a nice enough job of picking up the argument, though.

seems to be the perception of our pass defense two years ago. Good statistically, but because our run defense was that terrible.

Our suspect run defense has had no impact on the success of our pass defense. Bye Bye Big XII and I proved that mathematically last year.

"Picking up the argument"? There was no argument there to pick up. There was a conclusion.

"Our problems don't lie in the staff" is about as sophomoric a statement as I have seen. Certainly there are problems that lie in the staff. That seems quite obvious. All you have to do is observe the consistently sloppy product on the field to be quite confident of that. Now, if there are other problems (ex. the administration), you haven't explained them (or even listed them) here. I'm open to your knowledge. Please do share it.

• Fire 2

I'll stand by my word. We'll see. I could be wrong. I seriously dont know. All I know is that we constantly ask for coaching changes this staff overhaul that. For 3 years now, Bo has constanlty been dealing with staff changes, departures and hirings. Any of you ever think it might be a good think for this group to stick together for multiple years and find their groove? Continuity is not evil. Instability is. Maybe this means that Bo is not the man. I dont know. All I do know is that this past season was pretty consequential. All the injuries. Losing the 4th years starting qb. The incredible youth on D. I'd like to give it another couple years to see how these guys develope. I just cant understand the meltdown over a frickin DB coach hire at Ohio St. "Oh but Mr. A, he's such good crooter". Who gives a damn. Urban Meyere needs help recruiting. Ok.

I'll stand by my word. We'll see. I could be wrong. I seriously dont know. All I know is that we constantly ask for coaching changes this staff overhaul that. For 3 years now, Bo has constanlty been dealing with staff changes, departures and hirings. Any of you ever think it might be a good think for this group to stick together for multiple years and find their groove? Continuity is not evil. Instability is. Maybe this means that Bo is not the man. I dont know. All I do know is that this past season was pretty consequential. All the injuries. Losing the 4th years starting qb. The incredible youth on D. I'd like to give it another couple years to see how these guys develope. I just cant understand the meltdown over a frickin DB coach hire at Ohio St. "Oh but Mr. A, he's such good crooter". Who gives a damn. Urban Meyere needs help recruiting. Ok.

My point being with the changes going on today, in regards to coaching changes, it appears that some HC's are more likely to move (fire) guys to try and "fix" their issues (perceived or real). NU has done an extremely great job in hiring HC's who are loyal to a fault. Cally's cost him a job. Bo is the same way. When winning, great. When not, not so great.

We have had turn over. Who has Bo let go? We can argue all day about him "helping" Wats, Eckler, Carl etc, but until it is in writing, it is the same old non-proven opinion. Bottom line, the days of a staff staying together are over. Money talks. Joseph is a prime example of someone who left for money. The only way to keep this continuity is to pay. I guarantee Clemson is going to pay Morris to keep him. NU doesn't and won't. That, IMO, is a problem. In year 2, with a phenom QB, Gus takes Auburn to the MNC, Dabo at Clemson in year 5 with 2 BCS bowl appearances and big wins in bowls over LSU and OSU.

I'll support Bo as he is the coach of my team, but to continually say the staff needs time, injuries etc to allow the same 4 loss, non-fundamentally sound team to take the field and continue to think that "next" year we are going to arrive is BS. Teams are facing the same issues we have and are. The difference, IMO, is they are doing things to fix them. I am not in the know, nor know anyone with the program, but from the outside it appears Bo is content to "trust the system".

I am optimistic of our D next year. The DL and LB's should be a strength and possibly one of the best in the B1G. Hope Moss comes back. Safety should be solid as well. AA back, Long back, Bell back etc and the O should be steady. I have just seen the same pieces in place for the past several years (different names), but the results have been the same. I am ready for year 7 to yield a team complete on both sides of the ball (an ST's) that competes for 4 quarters and is fundamentally sound.

Chemistry, Psyche. Admin......who knows.

Would you agree lo, that 2010 was Bo's best team? There's probably really no question in that is there? That was staff in it's 3rd year with no changes. Bo is the only coach who is here and/or doing the same job as in 2010. The only one. That's a total staff overhaul in 3 completed season's time.

But I get you point. I do. And am not in disagreement. I guess I'm just on the fence and probably think most others should be as well. Let's see where this goes another year type of deal. If the defense hadnt shown the steady improvement throughout the year as it did, I'd be a lot less hopeful. One thing I just cant stand is the notion that Bo has not dealt with or is not making staff changes-not saying that's what youre implying. Your thoughts are a tad different-but it's always fire this guy, get rid of that guy, and yet, they dont want to admit that that's all Bo has been dealing with on a constant basis for 3 years now. And then theyre upset cuz we dotn somehow get Nick Saban to be our defensive coordinator. Zook and Mike Stoops were contacted for the DC job prior to 2012. I know this for a fact. Bo has tried. But he just probably feels more comfortable with his guys. It's also why I believe Marvin Sanders is gonna find his way back here. I know it takes a lot of patience, more than folks wanna show, but it is process. And if we have to suffer through these oh so tiresome and disasterous (sarcasm here) 9 and 10 win seasons along the way, well, I guess I'm just willing to do so rather than start all over. Our issues our fixable issues. Actually, in the grand scheme of things, theyre pretty minor issues that just show up at the worst times.

Our staff is not the problem. Athletes were the problem. This staff will seem pretty darn good this year when we have the horses to play defense. Hiring big name coordinators usually results in a lot of staff turnovers bc those guys are going to be HC hunting the next couple seasons.

I agree with this. Though I'm not willing to give this staff a pass on the recruiting and developmental failures and shortcoming of the first few years, but yes, any coach looks better with the horses to get it done. Think Nick Saban would be what he is with a roster of equal talent?

Oh wait, we already know that. Michigan St. and the Dolphins.