New DB Coach - Charlton Warren

QMany

Fair question. What changed mid-season? Did Bo take over the D, or did he relinquish more of the D to JP?

My own opinion is Bo always was in charge. He relays the calls to JP. Perhaps JP gets more input as time goes on but it's still Bo's defense.

Early in the season we were so terribly out of position that we couldn't help but give up yards. Whether that's youth or complexity is another discussion but once we started getting everyone on the same page the defense improved quickly. For me, you can attribute a lot of if to inexperience early on and we ended up better than we've been for the last couple years because we have better athletes and more play-makers on defense.

I think you're right, but two things make me think maybe it was JPs D to start.

First - there was a lot of JP a$$ chewing. If it was Bo's D and JP was relaying...I don't know what he could be so pissed off about.

Second, the DL. For about 5-6 games (and last season and some of the prior)...those DL lined up a good 2-3 yards off the ball, and played a "contain/pattycake" style. Didn't happen in 08, or 09, or 10. That changed mid-season, guys were over the ball. That's not a "learning" thing, or guys getting into position as the play progresses. That's something you could teach a monkey - which means it was schematic for whatever reason. JP was the DL coach in 11', it progressed through last year and stopped cold turkey in the middle of 13', about the same time our rush D got better, and our LBers all of a sudden started being in position.

I'm wondering if it wasn't JPs D, and Bo took it back mid-season - which is why I'm wondering if this hire won't have a co-DC title going with it.

http://www.stationca...c=981&f=2318273

They had an AF beat writer on Sharpe and Benning this morning. He had some good things to say.

Synopsis?

- Thing that stood out about Charlton was his ability to recruit, high energy, loves to get out and meet people.

- Thought he was a bit "miss-tasked" as a DC, very good position coach and recruiting coordinator but had too much on his plate being the DC as well.

- He'll be fine with the media (Air Force limits access to assistants) "the people up there will love him."

- Went to find "athletes" and teach them to be defenders... said Reggie Rembert and Jon Davis were All-American caliber CBs under him.

- Got kids to use their abilities at a different position

- "You're goin to see a lot of improvement in the defensive backs at Nebraska."

http://www.stationca...c=981&f=2318273

They had an AF beat writer on Sharpe and Benning this morning. He had some good things to say.

Synopsis?

- Thing that stood out about Charlton was his ability to recruit, high energy, loves to get out and meet people.

- Thought he was a bit "miss-tasked" as a DC, very good position coach and recruiting coordinator but had too much on his plate being the DC as well.

- He'll be fine with the media (Air Force limits access to assistants) "the people up there will love him."

- Went to find "athletes" and teach them to be defenders... said Reggie Rembert and Jon Davis were All-American caliber CBs under him.

- Got kids to use their abilities at a different position

- "You're goin to see a lot of improvement in the defensive backs at Nebraska."

I'm very open to this hire. I hope he is a great coach and sticks around.