New DB Coach - Charlton Warren

QMany

The thing that worries me is that he is labelled by sportswriter David Ramsey as their best recruiter, and then in the same article talks about how they lacked division one talent. I believe in his abilities, but there are some contradictions.

http://m.gazette.com/article/1512864

I don't think so. You're getting pretty far down the list of recruits by the time you get to the guys who are even considering Air Force. Most of the "division one talent" isn't even considering going there - let alone able to get in - so there's not a lot they can do. You can still recruit the guys you have a chance with, they're just not five-star talent.

Ya, you aren't even getting 3*'s there. It's not an athletic schollie, jocks have the same responsibilities as anyone else and still have to fulfill the considerable academic requirements to get in.. The majority of the service academy players probably woudn't otherwise be in a FBS program. Plus their top guys will tend to be the qb's and rb's to run the option game that keeps the service academies competitive.

The thing that worries me is that he is labelled by sportswriter David Ramsey as their best recruiter, and then in the same article talks about how they lacked division one talent. I believe in his abilities, but there are some contradictions.

I don't think so. You're getting pretty far down the list of recruits by the time you get to the guys who are even considering Air Force. Most of the "division one talent" isn't even considering going there - let alone able to get in - so there's not a lot they can do. You can still recruit the guys you have a chance with, they're just not five-star talent.

Ya, you aren't even getting 3*'s there. It's not an athletic schollie, jocks have the same responsibilities as anyone else and still have to fulfill the considerable academic requirements to get in.. The majority of the service academy players probably woudn't otherwise be in a FBS program. Plus their top guys will tend to be the qb's and rb's to run the option game that keeps the service academies competitive.

The bigest reason is prolly the4 years you have yo put in as an actial military person. No chance at nfl gor 4 yrs no matter jow good you are.

The bigest reason is prolly the4 years you have yo put in as an actial military person. No chance at nfl gor 4 yrs no matter jow good you are.

Unless they changed it recently it is a 5 active year minimum commitment after graduation with a 3 year reserve, active or inactive, commitment for 8 years total. It is a big commitment for the young man, but the other huge obstacle is convincing the parents to allow their child to commit to serving in a hazardous profession. I think Warren will do well at NU. Many of my friends on the team weren't going to go to NU or PSU or OSU, but several had options at MAC type schools and top D1AA schools as well. It still is a tough sell to convince these players to come to an academy.

I like what I'm reading about Coach Warren. Sounds like he takes a no-nonsense, disciplined approach to coaching, which is what we sorely need. I also like that he turns his DBs loose to be aggressive and make plays instead of waiting for plays to come to them. I just hope that approach has more general acceptance across the defense.

• 2 months later...

Jeremy Crabtree@jeremycrabtree 8m

My story on out-of-state schools luring Georgia's talent and why recruits leave home runs later this morning. Some eye-opening #s.

Jeremy Crabtree@jeremycrabtree 7m

One of those stats that jumped out to me: 32 out-of-state teams have signed 10 or more Georgia recruits from 2009-20014.

Jeremy Crabtree@jeremycrabtree 6m

Overall, 95 FBS out-of-state schools signed players from Georgia during that same time period. Truly telling how important Georgia is now.

Good place to have connections.