Sounds like Goodell wants to abolish the extra point in the NFL.

The Dude

Here's an idea: If they choose to go for two, they run the play from the 2 like always.

If they choose to kick the XP, they run it from the 10-yard line on the hash mark where the touchdown happened. There would still be a very high percentage of makes, but it would go from 99.8% to maybe 96%

But, I do think the point removal on a failed 2 point conversion is kind of dumb. If extra points are so automatic, then just give everybody the seven (like they're suggesting) and only award the 8th point upon a successful conversion. It doesn't make sense to me to say extra points are too automatic so we need to get rid of them and give teams the point right away, but then take it away upon failing to convert.

There should be some risk to going for the 8th point, or else every team would just go for it after every TD.

I thought about that, which is why I would say don't fix what isn't broken. I think the whole concept is relatively silly. Their efforts would be better placed worrying about the concussion issue over something like this.

• 1 month later...

Or just move it back...

One way to add excitement to the extra point is to make the kick longer and that's exactly what the competition committee is discussing. According to NFL.com, the league is in the very early stages of a discussion that could lead to extra points being moved back from the 2-yard line to the 25-yard-line for the 2014 preseason. That would make the kick a 43-yard attempt instead of a 20-yard attempt.

"There is no consensus yet," a competition committee member told NFL.com. "We could experiment in preseason, but we are not there yet."

Or else from 2 yards spot to 25 yards. Longer PAT's

Simple solution, both CFB and NFL. Use four upright posts instead of tradition two (Aussie football style). The narrow posts, like 10 feet apart or so, serves as an extra point attempt. More challenging. The widest posts, original 2-posts distance, use 3 point FG attempt (unchanged).

Also, awarded bonus point .......... drop kick. PAT=2 points. FG=4 points. Good idea huh? ;)

More proposed NFL rules

I like chain gang and pass interference changers