Sounds like Goodell wants to abolish the extra point in the NFL.

The Dude

Yep, the only "real" argument to keep it in the NFL is people who just don't want to see the game change because it's "tradition" or some other bullsh#t. There is no logical basis for the extra point to remain, at least as it is. What I saw on ESPN said it's a 99.1% completion rate over a span of whatever number of years. 5 were missed this season. In other words, it's f'ing pointless.

Put in a system of some kind that adds something to the game.

So...in other words...you're referring to all NFL fans in Nebraska that love a crappy 1982 tune by a progressive British band used as the Tunnel Walk, and most likely the same group that hates alternate jerseys. ;)

Tradition for pregame activities or uniforms, neither of which add anything functional to the game to begin with (and never will no matter how much you change, or do not change, them) is a different story entirely. Though I do feel some people cling too much to tradition there as well, it's still not even in the same conversation as a functional part of the game. Nice try, though. A for effort, F for relevance, so you get a C as the average.

pat's are my favorite part of the game. the kicker feels good he contributed, the defenders do not feel too dejected. there is no excessive celebration and not much contact. hardly any injuries. only part of the game i like, really.

just like how i only like pro wrestling for the competition, sportsmanship, and natural physical ability on display, but i hate it because of all the drama and cheap shots.

Given how automatic the kick is, the saving grace of the PAT is the possibility of something being botched - the snap or the hold. Then, things get interesting. Wasn't it Romo a few years (maybe quite a few years) ago that botched the hold and cost his team the win? That alone is reason to keep it.

But I wouldn't break my heart to see the move it back so that there is at least the possibility of a block...

What I do not like about the proposed change is they will frame it as a way to make the game more exciting, like it's being done for the fans. What they really want is to be able to squeeze in a few more minutes of commercials and the resulting revenue without lengthening the game. PAT's are basically boring plays. It is too easy the qay it is and botched attempts in the NFL are extremely rare. But I do love it (or hate it) when they do screw up a kick. I would not be opposed to modifying the PAT to an attempt that is harder to achieve but I'm not real fond of just awarding the 7th point for nothing. Just think of all the games that are decided by one point or the strategies employed based on one point. I guess, unless they come up with a better proposal that really adds to the game instead of one that smells like greed I would be a lot more receptive.

Can we make a poll?

-Keep PATs the same as they are now

-Make TDs worth 7, skip PAT

-Force teams to go for 2 after every score

-Move the kick back X amount of yards to increase difficulty

-TD worth 7,go for it and earn a point, fail and lose a point

Don't for get making the scoring player kick it.

Can we make a poll?

-Keep PATs the same as they are now

-Make TDs worth 7, skip PAT

-Force teams to go for 2 after every score

-Move the kick back X amount of yards to increase difficulty

-TD worth 7,go for it and earn a point, fail and lose a point

Don't for get making the scoring player kick it.

Definitely. That adds a twist of excitement unless its Suh who scored on a takeaway. Who knew we had the best backup to Henery on Defense?

If extra points are so boring and pointless, why dont they just give teams the option to run a regular play at the chance of scoring two points instead? That would spice things up a bit wouldnt it?

The thing with this solution is that it will create more scoring discrepancies.

Right now, since the PAT is automatic, two teams trade scores and they stay tied. If you take away the easier solution of one point and only leave the two point conversion or something similar, teams can trade scoring blows but one team could run away with it executing the extra point tries.

Running actual plays in the red zone is hard. If you're outside of the 2 or 3 yard line the defense has the advantage. I find their solution to be a little bit problematic because of that. Unless I'm mistaking the explanation and you don't HAVE to try for the 8th point and can just take the 7 as is. Then I think that would possibly be a solid idea.

If extra points are so boring and pointless, why dont they just give teams the option to run a regular play at the chance of scoring two points instead? That would spice things up a bit wouldnt it?

The thing with this solution is that it will create more scoring discrepancies.

Right now, since the PAT is automatic, two teams trade scores and they stay tied. If you take away the easier solution of one point and only leave the two point conversion or something similar, teams can trade scoring blows but one team could run away with it executing the extra point tries.

Running actual plays in the red zone is hard. If you're outside of the 2 or 3 yard line the defense has the advantage. I find their solution to be a little bit problematic because of that. Unless I'm mistaking the explanation and you don't HAVE to try for the 8th point and can just take the 7 as is. Then I think that would possibly be a solid idea.

Yeah. You missed my joke completely. I suggesting we just leave it alone. Giving either the option of kicking for 1, or going for 2. Ha ha.