Recruits Decommitting

I haven't made a list and ranked them, but I would say at least top 10-15.

There are a lot of places that make it easy for a coach to win, mostly because of location and the school itself, but also because of things like infrastructure, history, fan support, etc. KSU had nothing when he took over. No facilities, pathetic stadium and fanbase and the worst record in college football. Throw their terrible location in and there's a reason it's called the Miracle in Manhattan. Sure, he scheduled easy, but he still won a ton of games and made KSU a national program instead of a national laughingstock. The man can coach.

Bill Snyder is one of a kind. Sorry, but he's probably a better coach all around than TO. I know I know, the championships and head to head argument. But I think it's probably true. And what he's done AGAIN after coming back after they let Prince callahan that program just cements his legacy even further. I just always wonder what he would be at a place like a Nebraska, Oklahoma, or some SEC school that gives him the tools necessary to take that next step. Would he even be beatable?

The only point I disagree with you on is the TO part. 8-0 head to head. I understand the talent disparity, but you have to beat someone one out of eight times to be even close to being better than that person.

There's no doubt Snyder can coach. But maybe he's better at getting unheralded guys to play in his system too. Look at Brady Hoke. Great coach at smaller programs but is struggling with big-time talent. Some guys are system guys and I think Snyder is one of them. Albeit, running a great system.

And my point also is that had TO stuck around, do we know for sure that we win the games in '98, '00, '02, and so on? I'm really not sure. Solich road on Osborne's talent, with predominantly Osborne's entire staff for his first 4 years or so. I know Tom's presence is probably that difference maker, yet, he is still just one man. So I'm not really sure. But the fact is that Snyder has done something TWICE that Osborne never had to deal with. A garbage program from scratch that due to numerous intangibles (location, budget, tradition, etc) has absolutely no business being even respectable, much less elite as they have been in each of his two stints.

One thing TO was good at was knowing when to make changes. He changed the offense multiple times in his career. He changed the defense. He'd even occasionally change his assistants if someone wasn't working out. One of Solich's biggest mistakes was trying to keep the old gang together. Some of Tom's old assistants seemed to get lazy about recruiting and seemingly had an attitude of "we're NU, the recruits will come to us" (reminds me of some of our fans). TO knew the importance of recruiting and would have kept things on track and/or made changes when necessary.

Obviously his genius as an offensive coordinator and gravitas on the recruiting trail would have helped as well. I can pretty well guarantee that things would have gone better had TO stayed. You can thank Perlman's good buddy Graham Spanier for TO leaving when he did or who knows how many more wins we'd have racked up.

One of Solich's biggest mistakes was trying to keep the old gang together. .

was it solich keeping them together or the fanbase forcing him to keep them together? we all know had he fired someone there would have been so many people calling for his head and questioning the replacement. he almost needed 7-7 to make the changes.

• Fire 1

The difference is that's Bo's gang and they're doing things the way he wants. Bo's already shown that he's willing to make changes when he thinks it's called for.

Also, while Beck has the occasional head scratcher, I think he's a good OC. Papuchis runs Bo's defense, so any talk calling for his head may as well be aimed at Bo.

Not one of our recruits but I thought it was interesting:

They called him a traitor and much worse.

When coveted five-star running back Damien Harris retracted his commitment to Michigan last month, he found himself in the eye of the most modern type of storm.

On Twitter, a rabid fringe of fans messaged the Kentucky high school junior. Supporters of other suitors — including Ohio State — renewed their sales pitches while a megaphone-wielding minority of Michigan followers vented.

“Wonder who’s paying @Damien_D1Harris. Kids are a joke,” wrote a user who went by @BobbyW2.

A college-aged man from Monroe simply directed a string of expletives at Harris, including the recruit’s Twitter handle in the message to ensure it was seen by his target.

“Honestly, I was just upset at the time because he’s most likely going to go to OSU,” the man said in a message to a reporter before shutting down further questions.

For schools across the country, the backlash to the whims of a 16-year-old prospect represented an increasing nightmare.

Harris still considers Michigan his top school, but the response on Twitter to the decommitment left his high school coach in Berea, Ky., fuming. Jon Clark told the Lexington Herald-Leader, “A kid will never make a decision to go somewhere because of fans or the media. But kids will make a decision not to go places because of that.”

*emphasis added

Toledo Blade article

McClains HC talking about the NU staff and especially Fisher, "It was one of best recruiting jobs I've seen in the last 11 years in this area... The only thing he couldn't do is make Florida closer to Nebraska."

Hmmm, well what do you know, it actually IS more difficult to get these kids to come thousands of miles from home, to a sleepy small town in the middle of a snowy cornfield.

McClains HC talking about the NU staff and especially Fisher, "It was one of best recruiting jobs I've seen in the last 11 years in this area... The only thing he couldn't do is make Florida closer to Nebraska."

Hmmm, well what do you know, it actually IS more difficult to get these kids to come thousands of miles from home, to a sleepy small town in the middle of a snowy cornfield.

:bs:

C'mon man, I know that you know better, heck you likely pay more attention to recruiting and what these kids say than I do. It's a common theme, not saying it's impossible, just more difficult.

Playing in an inferior conference doesn't help, either. How many kids would have chosen Kentucky, Duke, or Vandy over us 10 or 15 years ago?

C'mon man, I know that you know better, heck you likely pay more attention to recruiting and what these kids say than I do. It's a common theme, not saying it's impossible, just more difficult.

+ :sarcasm

;)