2013-14 Seniors in NFL Draft

QMany

Hey I know some folks are kinda sensitive about pessimistic thoughts these days, but I simply cannot imagine a NFL team using a draft pick on T-Mart for the purposes of being a WR, DB, or kick returner. The guy has never caught a ball, made a tackle, or returned a kick in 4 years of college.

Neither had Brad Smith (Mizzou QB) or Zach Miller (UNO QB) as far as I know.

Good points. It's not unprecedented for athletic QBs to get other shots in the NFL at other positions, and there have been many guys that have worked out better than say Eric Crouch. Even Jammal Lord got a shot at safety with the Texans. I hope he gets a shot, and moreso, I hope he can get fully healthy.

Holy crap - how did this get into the Nick Gates thread? Sorry guys, I meant to put this somewhere else. One of the 9-4 threads, or NFL threads, or sunshine pumper threads, or something like that. Edit: It was supposed to be the "foot" thread!

Hope we get Gates. Back off, TAMU.

Edited by Mavric
Moved several posts from the Gates thread here.

Hey I know some folks are kinda sensitive about pessimistic thoughts these days, but I simply cannot imagine a NFL team using a draft pick on T-Mart for the purposes of being a WR, DB, or kick returner. The guy has never caught a ball, made a tackle, or returned a kick in 4 years of college (I'm sure he did plenty of it on the scout team in 2009 so kudos for that I guess). I hope the kid gets healthy and is successful in whatever he tries to do, and I also hope that he has a strong pro day and gets a shot as a free agent, but the deck is certainly stacked against him.

But to prove I'm not a hater: Good luck with the NFL Taylor! :cheers

Not sure why this is here, but elite speed and athleticism with good size and extreme toughness is a pretty good start for any position. Throw in his ability to score with the ball in his hands and he will intrigue some teams. There is a long history of teams figuring out ways to utilize athletes at new positions in the NFL.

Hey I know some folks are kinda sensitive about pessimistic thoughts these days, but I simply cannot imagine a NFL team using a draft pick on T-Mart for the purposes of being a WR, DB, or kick returner. The guy has never caught a ball, made a tackle, or returned a kick in 4 years of college (I'm sure he did plenty of it on the scout team in 2009 so kudos for that I guess). I hope the kid gets healthy and is successful in whatever he tries to do, and I also hope that he has a strong pro day and gets a shot as a free agent, but the deck is certainly stacked against him.

But to prove I'm not a hater: Good luck with the NFL Taylor! :cheers

Not sure why this is here, but elite speed and athleticism with good size and extreme toughness is a pretty good start for any position. Throw in his ability to score with the ball in his hands and he will intrigue some teams. There is a long history of teams figuring out ways to utilize athletes at new positions in the NFL.

Pretty much.

I mean Denard Robinson got drafted.

I certainly don't mean this to be a bash against SJB even though it's going to sound like it, but just about everything I'm reading/hearing in regards to his draft stock going up is based on his size and athletic ability. I'm hearing very little mention of his film. Love it or hate it, a lot of scouts see the body and ability they're looking for and move players up accordingly.

Now, to drink the koolaid a bit for our staff, he was a WR switched CB only within the last few years. Making a complete position change like that in college is extremely tough, and our coaches did a remarkable job getting him to the point where he can even be in this discussion with all things considered.

1403.gif

I don't get this response at all - how can you call Taylor anything but tough?

Literally the only thing I can think of is how he would freeze up before contact at times, mostly his sophomore year. But that was clearly due to coaching. His freshman and junior years he never backed down from anyone; even if he didn't run someone over he at least made them earn every bit of that tackle.

• Fire 2

I don't get this response at all - how can you call Taylor anything but tough?

Literally the only thing I can think of is how he would freeze up before contact at times, mostly his sophomore year. But that was clearly due to coaching. His freshman and junior years he never backed down from anyone; even if he didn't run someone over he at least made them earn every bit of that tackle.

I think people confuse 'toughness' with 'injured' in regards to Taylor. Because he played for the better part of his career here injured, he must have been tough right? I however think back to games like Washington 2.0, or Minnesota, or like you said..his entire sophomore year, his fumbles when barely touched...etc, etc...and I just don't see a "tough" player. Not that I care if our QB is tough, that's way down the list of qualities I'd care about...but Crouch was tough, Frost was tough. Taylor, not on the same level.

I think people confuse 'toughness' with 'injured' in regards to Taylor. Because he played for the better part of his career here injured, he must have been tough right? I however think back to games like Washington 2.0, or Minnesota, or like you said..his entire sophomore year, his fumbles when barely touched...etc, etc...and I just don't see a "tough" player. Not that I care if our QB is tough, that's way down the list of qualities I'd care about...but Crouch was tough, Frost was tough. Taylor, not on the same level.

How can you say that you can't count playing injured as being tough, but then count being fumble-prone towards a lack of toughness? That doesn't make sense to me. Does throwing motion factor into toughness as well?

Tough also doesn't mean strong. Actually, his playing through injuries is the most accurate definition given, since 'tough' is actually defined as involving considerable difficulty or hardship and requiring great determination and effort.

When I look back at the guy, I see a quarterback that ran through contact when he wasn't coached not to, that often would get stopped and stood up on sacks but not tackled (five guys would be on him but unable to actually get him to the ground, waiting for the whistle to blow the play dead), that played through tremendous pain and ailments, that popped right up off the ground from a ton of absolutely vicious hits, and also played on the defensive side of the ball in high school.

• Fire 2

'''that often would get stopped and stood up on sacks but not tackled (five guys would be on him but unable to actually get him to the ground, waiting for the whistle to blow the play dead)

...because he was so easily stripped of the ball..

I didn't him breaking tackles and escaping pressure like you did I guess. I didn't see the contact. I saw a deer in the headlights most of the time. If he's tough because he took a lot of sacks...guess I'll give ya that one. Tough because he was injured all the time. If you say so. Just not the type of guy I would describe as a warrior or tough like some on here. If we played on real grass he'd have a mostly clean uniform at the end of every game.

'''that often would get stopped and stood up on sacks but not tackled (five guys would be on him but unable to actually get him to the ground, waiting for the whistle to blow the play dead)

...because he was so easily stripped of the ball..

I didn't him breaking tackles and escaping pressure like you did I guess. I didn't see the contact. I saw a deer in the headlights most of the time. If he's tough because he took a lot of sacks...guess I'll give ya that one. Tough because he was injured all the time. If you say so. Just not the type of guy I would describe as a warrior or tough like some on here. If we played on real grass he'd have a mostly clean uniform at the end of every game.

I agree with this. Are the days of Scott Frost and Eric Crouch THAT far removed that we have forgotten what a TOUGH QB really is?