Super Bowl XLVIII Discussion Thread

Mavric

Nothin' wrong with being a bandwagon fan IMO. It's fun to follow the teams that are fun to watch.

College is different for me for reasons I don't really understand, but with the NFL it's been a mixture of local loyalty and admiration of success. I lived near Denver during the Elway years, so I got to cheer on a couple of Super Bowl winners. That was cool. When I moved to New England they made fun of my Broncos shirts ('98 and/or '99 was a pretty rough year...) and I was resentful for a while. That all changed when Drew Bledsoe got hurt and I heard some young guy was going to get thrown to the wolves against mighty Peyton Manning and the Colts. I thought, man, I'm gonna laugh at my friends when they get pasted. Still remember the score of that game: 44-13, 'Pats. That was a big WOAH, and of course, the rest is history...

They run the most amazing program there in New England these days, but when Brady and/or Belicheck call it quits, will I still follow? I don't know. It would barely be recognizable, and I already don't live there anymore. Maybe I'll also catch on to the Seahawks. Huge Russell Wilson fan and I love how badass their defense plays, though I don't know much about the team otherwise. And I actually think Pete Carroll is a heck of a coach...Luck & the Colts or Harbaugh and the Niners are other teams I guess I could follow, too, but without the local ties it is kinda hard to really get behind a team.

Anyway, tl;dr, being a casual bandwagon fan and enjoying a good performance isn't so bad :P

I definitely did. Cannot believe how thoroughly helpless the Broncos were.

MMQB's Greg Bedard mentions in his article that Denver had the league's best pass-blocking line in the regular season, and they got thrashed by a Seattle front that didn't even blitz (similar to the Giants in '08 against the Patriots). Meanwhile, Seattle had the league's worst pass-blocking line and Denver couldn't get a single pressure on Wilson. I mean, who could have predicted that? If this had been the outcome of a simulation I'd have told you the game engine was broken.

The Denver fan in me chose to completely overlook the many reasons Seattle had to be competitive in this game. More than competitive, they had some tools that were kryptonite to Peyton Manning. Physical secondary, and a quick and aggressive front four. They got pressure on Manning often. Also, their secondary played so smart it was unbelievable. They read our WRs like a book. They kept everything in front of them. While Denver was running all these crosses and pick routes, Seattle said, go ahead, we'll sit back and watch all that fancy bullsh#t. Then, after the catch, there Seattle DBs were to make the instant tackle. A masterful plan on defense, and a poor offensive plan by Denver to be quite honest. Did Denver truly believe they didn't at least need to try to run the ball?

Outplayed, out physicaled, out coached. Would have loved to at least seen a close game. I can handle losing, but that was hard for me to watch last night. Especially when we quit.

Defense wins championships. No doubt about it, but it's hard for me not to question Mannings abilities to win these big games outside of his home field. The crowd was loud. That was surprising to me. THEY WERE LOUD AS HELL. The First snap of the game showed me it was going to be a tough night. But not that tough. Thankfully, I paid the bet I lost today, my co workers are going easy on me which is nice. Hopefully Denver can learn from this and improve. Still, not sure how this team gets much better than I thought they were. I really thought Denver was the best team in the league. Still, second best is a lot better than some of your scrub ass teams.

Defense wins championships. No doubt about it, but it's hard for me not to question Mannings abilities to win these big games outside of his home field. The crowd was loud. That was surprising to me. THEY WERE LOUD AS HELL. The First snap of the game showed me it was going to be a tough night. But not that tough. Thankfully, I paid the bet I lost today, my co workers are going easy on me which is nice. Hopefully Denver can learn from this and improve. Still, not sure how this team gets much better than I thought they were. I really thought Denver was the best team in the league. Still, second best is a lot better than some of your scrub ass teams.

The crowd was surprising to me as well. Granted, the Denver fans didn't really have anything to cheer about the entire game but the Seattle fans were sure making their share of noise.

Props to Seattle - they played great. But they got (made) several breaks that really put Denver behind the eight ball all night. Agree that it would have been nice to at least see a competitive game.

Will be interesting to see what the Broncos do in the offseason. Their defense should be better with guys getting healthy. I think they had five starters on IR, including a DPOY caliber guy. Not sure they can resign the entire offense. Would really like to keep Decker. Moreno would be nice too but Ball looks pretty decent.

Customer in our office claiming that someone overheard Manning asking Pete Carroll about when they were going to get paid. He continued to go on and on about how the Broncos were paid to lose.

I thought the weed in Colorado was supposed to mellow people out. You have customers railing against the President calling him the N-word and now Super Bowl conspiracies?

Or do you just get all the crazies before you sell them the weed?

Customer in our office claiming that someone overheard Manning asking Pete Carroll about when they were going to get paid. He continued to go on and on about how the Broncos were paid to lose.

I thought the weed in Colorado was supposed to mellow people out. You have customers railing against the President calling him the N-word and now Super Bowl conspiracies?

Or do you just get all the crazies before you sell them the weed?

Lol. I don't know what's up with some of these people. And as far as the weed goes, I have nothing to with that ;)