Stewart Mandel is not a Boliever

If it was only Husker fans that were saying that, then it would be grasping for straws. The problem comes from the stuff Saunders quoted - when you have guys like Nick Saban and Urban Meyer saying that firing a 9-win coach sends danger flags to other coaches, that makes that stat relevant.

It's all well and good to talk about firing Pelini for only winning nine games, and to support that with stats and convince yourself that we can do better, should do better. That's fantastic.

But you don't need to convince Joe on the Street here in Lincoln.

You need to convince the next coach.

I agree, but let's also remember that Solich wasn't really fired for going 9-3. He was fired because a rogue AD had some gross delusion of grandeur and he'd be damned if it wasn't entirely by his hand that we got to the top of the mountain, and the second he saw a way to justify it he took it.

Urban and Saban are on point in their assessment of firing a coach who wins 9 games, as it's own ideology in a vacuum, but are missing the context of that specific situation.

Urban and Saban are on point in their assessment of firing a coach who wins 9 games, as it's own ideology in a vacuum, but are missing the context of that specific situation.

Yeah. Just because they weren't interested in a job after a 10 win coach was fired doesn't mean that they weren't interested because the previous coach won 10 games.

Anyways. Maybe the Bolievers are right. Maybe this is as good as we can hope for. If that's true it's pretty sad . . . but it doesn't mean that it's wrong.

Very possible.

If there was evidence to support that I'd be more comfortable with canning Pelini and jettisoning all the baggage that comes with him. There's evidence to support the idea that this isn't true, and that's what scares the hell out of me.

Well, that and Minnesota circa 1965-ish.

Also very possible.

I believe the AD could make a great case - especially as it's not about the W's and the L's - and bring in a new coach. Jettisoning Bo at this juncture isn't exactly saying, "Get outta here, you suck." It's "well, you've had six, seven years at the helm - it's time to see if we can reach even greater heights. Thank you and good luck." But Texas probably thought they could get Saban, too. There's no way to know.

I'm OK with not taking the risk, but sometimes the logical opportunity presents itself. Iowa was that chance to make the call, and ultimately the school blinked and it was gone.

If it was only Husker fans that were saying that, then it would be grasping for straws. The problem comes from the stuff Saunders quoted - when you have guys like Nick Saban and Urban Meyer saying that firing a 9-win coach sends danger flags to other coaches, that makes that stat relevant.

It's all well and good to talk about firing Pelini for only winning nine games, and to support that with stats and convince yourself that we can do better, should do better. That's fantastic.

But you don't need to convince Joe on the Street here in Lincoln.

You need to convince the next coach.

Why would Urban Meyer or Nick Saban talk about anything other than themselves?

This is a good point but I think that most good coaches look at the resources available to them and our results over the past six seasons and conclude that they could do better.

That and $$$.

If there was evidence to support that I'd be more comfortable with canning Pelini and jettisoning all the baggage that comes with him. There's evidence to support the idea that this isn't true, and that's what scares the hell out of me.

Well, that and Minnesota circa 1965-ish.

No wants to fire Pelini because he wins 9 games. That's a little misleading.

Some people want a change because his teams are often undisciplined and are ranked in the bottom ten in penalties and fumbles.

Some want a change because, every year in his tenure, there's at least one ridiculous loss where the team looks disinterested.

Some want a change because, while he's in the 9 wins club, he's also in the "getting 60+ hung on him multiple times" club.

Some want a change because every time NU is in the spotlight for the past few years, it coincides with public goring.

But I've never once heard people want a change because he won 9 games

• Fire 6

Not really . . . there's a coach who wasn't particularly interested in Nebraska and another who made vague allusions to "maybe some people are skeptical."

Not to mention that wins and losses are hardly the reason why Solich was canned.

Anyways. Maybe the Bolievers are right. Maybe this is as good as we can hope for. If that's true it's pretty sad . . . but it doesn't mean that it's wrong.

So, he had the same opinion as the other 8-10other guys that didn't take the job, which is why we ended up with Bill, and my point is proven correct.

The detractors reasons for firing Bo are equally as irrelevant as the Bolievers reasons for keeping him ie. He wins 9 games a year vs loses 4 games a year. He's dedicated to his playvers vs he hates his fanbase. Hes passionate vs hes volatile. Yin and Yang.

End result Bo will get his shot at proving his worth this fall.

All this stat tells me is that we are grasping for straws, and since there aren't any national championship, conference championship, or BCS bowl game straws to grab hold of, and since the winning percentage straw (much more important than quantity of wins) is shorter and much less impressive, we lunge for this one.

THIS.

So. Much. This.

Now turn it around and win 14 next year!!