NFL Draft Prospect Michael Sam (DE/OLB - Missouri) comes out

zoogs

We've come far enough along that this shouldn't be a big headline. It just shouldn't be. If this had happened in the mid-90s I would understand blowing this up, but it's largely unjustified now. Never understood homophobic ideals and behavior. What a man does in private is his own business, so what if it's banging dudes?

We've come far enough along that this shouldn't be a big headline. It just shouldn't be. If this had happened in the mid-90s I would understand blowing this up, but it's largely unjustified now. Never understood homophobic ideals and behavior. What a man does in private is his own business, so what if it's banging dudes?

Agree...no big story here.

We've come far enough along that 0 current NFL players have ever been openly gay. That's not exactly very far along.

• Fire 3

The story of him being gay may not be the "big story". But whatever happens to him during his NFL career certainly will be.

The story of him being gay may not be the "big story". But whatever happens to him during his NFL career certainly will be.

I agree with you, for the most part.

It will only be a big story if something openly very negative happens to him.

I like the comments from the guy who is being interviewed right now on 1620. Right now, the NFL is sweating blood hoping and praying that someone drafts him. Now, he gave valid football reasons why the guy very well might be a late round draft pick. I personally know nothing about him as a player. But, if he is was projected as a late round pick before he came out, then there was always that chance he wasn't going to be picked anyway. NOW...if he isn't picked, then everyone is going ton be talking about if it's because he is gay. The NFL does NOT want that to happen.

The Commish is going to be happy when the draft is over and he is drafted and then much of the story will die slowly over time.

I agree with you, for the most part.

It will only be a big story if something openly very negative happens to him.

I like the comments from the guy who is being interviewed right now on 1620. Right now, the NFL is sweating blood hoping and praying that someone drafts him. Now, he gave valid football reasons why the guy very well might be a late round draft pick. I personally know nothing about him as a player. But, if he is was projected as a late round pick before he came out, then there was always that chance he wasn't going to be picked anyway. NOW...if he isn't picked, then everyone is going ton be talking about if it's because he is gay. The NFL does NOT want that to happen.

The Commish is going to be happy when the draft is over and he is drafted and then much of the story will die slowly over time.

I agree with you for the most part as well. Except that if he has success in the NFL, it will probably make it easier for athletes to come out. And when that happens, this becomes a non story.

It's interesting to see the reactions across Husker message boards. To be clear, the overwhelming majority of all posters, everywhere, have been nothing but accepting and supportive towards Michael Sam, the same way his Missouri teammates and many, many NFL league officials and GMs have been.

But, the other side of the coin exists, and are more well-represented there than here. So, I think it's edifying to take stock of some sentiments (in varying degrees) that, while an online minority, are not insignificant. A sampling, names removed:

Rivals (HuskerOnline)

Yeah...who cares? (...) frankly I'm tired of these athletes acting like the general public needs to know what they are doing in private. He's not hero because he likes having sex with other guys....sorry.

Cool. Next thing you know players in all sports (male and female) will be specific about whether they are into:

straight missionary, oral, anal, cross dressing, foot fetishes, FF, GS, infantilism, B&D, S&M, asphyxiation, klismaphilia, hybristophilia, plushophilia, burusera, and any other practices that some people may consider to be moral turpitude. That is too bad since I wish people in all walks of life would just STFU about what turns them on.

We should not celebrate premarital sex or infidelity if indeed these are sins. For some reason though we are supposed to promote homosexuality which may also be a sin or we are considered a bad person. I am not advocating one way or another.

Where's the equally newsworthy headline of; "College Football Star - first name & last name - Says He Is Not Gay!" They've got to be out there, right? :o)

I don't discriminate against any form of birth defect. That would be a bit cruel. My only issues come up when it is pushed as the new normal. Normal would include at least 1/3 of the population born this way. It should really just be accepted and left alone.

I don't get why it is the new Cause Du Jour. I detest the hypocrisy when people only stand up to Christian Beliefs and allow the persecution to continue in other countries with not a word spoken or protest made.

I suppose if those in favor had the backbone to do THAT then I would have a little more sympathy. Without that, it seems like a grudge against Christians.

Why? Maybe those people who CHOOSE to live that lifestyle should keep there morsel of inhumanity hidden from real folks.

Scout

Ok..... And I'm straight! Never once felt the need to broadcast it!

I would not like this...are you trying bait someone again and prove that it's ok for a homosexual staring and desiring naked heterosexual men in a locker room ? Stop, enough already.

Why does anybody feel that it's important to tell the world what they want to do sexually, or even worse, define themselves by it?

--

Maybe not making such a big deal about what they want to do with their genitals would be a good place to start, if they don't want to be persecuted.

--

Comparitively, if I don't want to be made fun of for jerking off on the dog, a good place to start would be to not define myself as first and foremost someone who jerks off on the dog. Maybe just keeping your private life, well, private, is a good idea.

--

Maybe they are looked down upon because they want people to see them primarily for what they do with their genitals. Most people have more self respect than that, but you've got a good portion of their community doing exactly that. Wanna not be thought of as a freak? Maybe start by not having parades with guys wearing assless chaps and cross dressers faux fornicating on the sidewalk.

--

Self respect would serve them well.

No, its big news because they're obnoxious, loud, and don't care that nobody gives a rats ass.

the nicest man i've ever met in my life is gay and i love the guy, but the gay community as a whole needs to have their megaphone revoked. as a whole they're nothing but a bunch of whiners and it shows.

So now I'm not only supposed to have white guilt but gay guilt too!?!?! Well guess what, I don't and I never will. Brian is right, you will never be treated equal until you act equal. No one cares that your gay so get over yourself! Being gay doesn't make you special!

Wow....ain't that the truth... So why is it big news when this happens. Who gives a s***...and why do people think it's necessary? Homosexuals have been bullying everyone for equal rights for two or three decades now....do they really need this type of exposure anymore. People get beat up and killed everyday....a homosexual gets beat up though and holy s***....it's front page news...HATE CRIME!!!!

247Sports (HuskersIllustrated)

This post is for members of HuskersIllustrated or All Access VIP members only.

Showers.

Forgive me, but I don't find these quotes to be very insightful.

Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates

Erick Lueshen was a kicker on the University of Nebraska football team from 2004-2005, and according to an interview he did on 93.7 The Ticket, he was openly gay the entire time he was on the team. His interview was illuminating, and it sounds like his experience as an openly gay college athlete was very similar to Michael Sam's.

You can listen to the entirety of Lueshen's two-part interview here and here, but we've pulled some of the highlights.

• 2 weeks later...