CFN really, really, really early B1G schedule breakdowns

Saunders

Nebraska

Non-Conference Games: Florida Atlantic, at Fresno State, McNeese State, Miami

Games Against The East: at Michigan State, Rutgers

Realistic Best Case Record: 10-2

Worst Case Record: 6-6

Likely Finish: 9-3

Pre-Preseason Projected Wins: Florida Atlantic, McNeese State, at Fresno State, Miami, Illinois, Rutgers, Purdue, Minnesota, at Iowa

Pre-Preseason Projected Losses: at Michigan State, at Northwestern, at Wisconsin

Summary: The Huskers might have a dangerous-looking game at Fresno State, but this isn’t the same Fresno State team of last year. After opening up with tune-ups against Florida Atlantic and McNeese State, Nebraska has to rebound from the trip to Fresno and be ready for a major showdown with Miami that should be a big game in the national spotlight. Win that, and it’s almost certainly 5-0 after opening up the Big Ten season with Illinois. And then comes the fun.

The schedule isn’t that bad overall, but going to Michigan State as the tail end of a six-game start to the season stinks. Getting the week off before going to Northwestern will help, and then home games against Rutgers and Purdue should boost the record before getting another week off to prepare for the West showdown at Wisconsin. Closing out with Minnesota and a trip to Iowa isn’t that bad.

2014 Schedule

8/30 Florida Atlantic

9/6 McNeese State

9/13 at Fresno State

9/20 Miami

9/27 Illinois

10/4 at Michigan State

10/11 OPEN DATE

10/18 at Northwestern

10/25 Rutgers

11/1 Purdue

11/8 OPEN DATE

11/15 at Wisconsin

11/22 Minnesota

11/29 at Iowa

West Division Breakdown: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1375239.html

East Division Breakdown: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1375238.html

B1G Composite Schedule: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1375237.html

Some decent conference and non-con games this year for the B1G.

I would say this is about right, my prediction is we go 10-2 with loses to NW and Wisky, I think we will have a lot of momentum going into MSU and we beat them. However, after the bye week we come out flat and loose to NW, and same playing against Wisky. I think this schedule can really springboard us into the national spotlight with games against a most likely ranked Miami team, ranked MSU, and ranked Wisky.

I would say this is about right, my prediction is we go 10-2 with loses to NW and Wisky, I think we will have a lot of momentum going into MSU and we beat them. However, after the bye week we come out flat and loose to NW, and same playing against Wisky. I think this schedule can really springboard us into the national spotlight with games against a most likely ranked Miami team, ranked MSU, and ranked Wisky.

Northwestern is on the road 2 out of the 3 weeks before us, with Wisconsin sandwiched in the middle. Our bye week couldn't come at a better time there. I say with a bye we have a better than average chance of getting that one on the road. 60-40 us, though I wouldn't be shocked at all if we come out flat and piss this one down our leg

Wisky has a cakewalk with Maryland, Rutgers, and Purdue with an bye week the 4 weeks before us. 2 of those games immediately before us are on the road, and I could see them overlooking one of them and maybe suffering a loss...but they'll essentially have almost 4 weeks to prepare for us. Everyone should be healthy. We'll have 3 weeks in an almost easier lead up to the game, but they'll pack that place having been on the road for a few week. Home field advantage that week is worth 7-10 points. I'd say 75-25 Wisconsin win.

MSU is another one I'd lean about 70-30 in their favor on. We'll be gassed, after playing a tight game to Fresno - a hard fought game against Miami then Illinois comes in and plays us closer than they should. 3 straight close games, and the team is not into the trip to MSU as they should and we hear about it after the game and all wonder why Bo can't get his team ready to play in these big games, yada, yada, yada.

Miami is a toss-up, Iowa is an injury away from a loss. Kinda depends on who comes in healthiest. I'd say 4 losses are there, a 5th could show up - or maybe we survive with just 3 and take a beating in a bowl game. More of the same w/ this "difficult" schedule.

Why is everyone so afraid of Northwestern? The thing that really has hurt Nebraska against them the last 3 years is gone. Cain Colter has used up his eligibility. They will be a decent FB team that needs to be taken seriously, but if they are taken seriously they should be a win.

Why is everyone so afraid of Northwestern? The thing that really has hurt Nebraska against them the last 3 years is gone. Cain Colter has used up his eligibility. They will be a decent FB team that needs to be taken seriously, but if they are taken seriously they should be a win.

Even before we joined the Big Ten, Northwestern has been that snake-in-the-grass team that pops up and bites one of the top competitors in the ass at least about once per year. Since we are 2-1 against them, with the combined margin of victory over 3 years being 7 whole points, a better question is why shouldn't we be afraid of them?

Games aren't played on paper. We have three data points that suggest they will play us tough and close regardless of circumstances, and we have zero that suggest otherwise.

I'm not sure "afraid" is a proper description for what our feeling towards NW should be, but I think anyone who has watched our first years in the B1G would avoid most of these type of comments. "they're Iowa" was one of the common reasons why we'd win last season. We saw how that worked out.

The turnover's and penalties are not gone yet-that we know of. So yes, we're still understandably afraid of Northwestern.

It has been without question, the tightest, most heart-stopping, edge-of-your-seat, gut wrenching series since joining the Big 10.

I'm not sure "afraid" is a proper description for what our feeling towards NW should be, but I think anyone who has watched our first years in the B1G would avoid most of these type of comments. "they're Iowa" was one of the common reasons why we'd win last season. We saw how that worked out.

And just to refresh your memory, it wasn't Colter that ran for 150 and 3 TD's this past season. It was their 5th string RB. And he might have had more had he not been hurt. And the fact that the 3 games so far have been decided by 7 points should say until we start killing them like we used to do against Iowa State and Kansas, we should be worried.