Benny Parker

Season shooting percentages. Statistically he is the 3rd worst shooter we have on the court. I believe he can pick up his numbers, its just going to take more practice on the hardwood. I love seeing the kid on the court though, his defense is electrifying to say the least.

Leslee Smith- 55.4%

Walter Pitchford- 45.9%

Terran Petteway- 44.6%

Shavon Shields- 43%

David Rivers- 40%

Benny Parker- 38.5%

Ray Gellegos- 38.3%

Tai Webster- 32%

I look at this list and I believe that Benny & Tai can get better. But its disappointing that Ray is under 40% and with less defensive pressure than last year.

Almost hard to remember that last year Ray WAS our offense (with an assist to Ubel). Remember how many shots he had to take being the only real threat and how he had to run tirelessly just to get his shot off?

Really thought with more weapons this year, he would have better looks and be more productive. We can still hope he gets hot late and helps us in the stretch run.

I was thinking the same thing. I am not totally ready to give up on him. Just like with Benny & Tai, you play the hot hand.

Benny doesnt need to have a good shot to force defenses to guard him... he needs to drive to the lane. We are always setting pick and rolls... how about someone picks.. and he just drives hard to the rim.

The guy can drive.

Biggest problem with our PG's is they arent confident with the ball. Tai is always looking to pass. He isnt a strong enough dribbler to get to the glass.

That is the one downfall of losing Biggs. Problem with Biggs is he always wanted to drive.

When Benny and Rivers are on the court, they shy away from trying to score.

Shields wasnt as good because he didnt drive.. when he threatens to drive, he gets open shots later on because the defense has to respect that.

Benny doesnt need to have a good shot to force defenses to guard him... he needs to drive to the lane. We are always setting pick and rolls... how about someone picks.. and he just drives hard to the rim.

The guy can drive.

Biggest problem with our PG's is they arent confident with the ball. Tai is always looking to pass. He isnt a strong enough dribbler to get to the glass.

That is the one downfall of losing Biggs. Problem with Biggs is he always wanted to drive.

When Benny and Rivers are on the court, they shy away from trying to score.

Shields wasnt as good because he didnt drive.. when he threatens to drive, he gets open shots later on because the defense has to respect that.

Tai is fine with the ball, he is just not fast enough right now. Shield is finally learning when to drive. You can not drive if you do not have the advantage, which means height or first step. There is too good of athletes in the B1G to go one on one without an advantage.

Free HuskerOnline article about Webster but gives some good props to Parker as well:

Maybe the best thing to happen to Webster this season has been the emergence of Parker, who went from being buried in the rotation earlier in the year to becoming one of NU's top options off the bench. While Parker is obviously limited offensively, he's more than made up for it with relentless tenacity and energy on the defensive end. Miles said Webster responded perfectly to Parker's pushing, and rather than get discouraged over losing playing time he took it as a challenge to make himself better.

"I think it's relieved him, you know?" Miles said. "Like, he doesn't have to be the only one. When he comes to the bench, somebody's going to pick him him. Because I think Tai really cares about the team and wants the team to win, and that's what he truly wants to happen. So I think he's got a bit of a sense of relief, and also I think Benny's taught him some lessons on this is how it's done."

Webster said Parker has played a huge role his own development this season simply from having to try and match his energy and effort every day in practice and workouts.

"Benny Parker, he's an inspiration every single day," Webster said. "He brings energy and a spark to the to team every single day in practice and pushes me to the limit every time. He guards me in practice, I want to go at him as hard as I can, and he's going as hard as he can at me."

He reminds me a lot of Isaiah Thomas from the kings. Very undersized but gets after it every single play. Probably our quickest player but he just cant shoot the ball! If he had an offensive game he would be playing 30+ minutes a night

He scored in HS, maybe he will surprise us in the future!

I sure hope so! He has really made me a believer. I don't think he has the endurance to play more than 30 minutes a game but boy oh boy am I Happy to see him when he comes off the bench. Never thought I would say that last year.

• 2 weeks later...