Offensive Identity....

It is not that we pass too much it is that we pass too much at certain times. Against Minnesota we tried to pass too much. It wasn't working. I know the defense was daring us to throw the ball, but they weren't completing them. When they come out and throw on 3 straight downs for incompletions, I don't like that personally and we always seem to do it at least once every game.

I think Beck loves the WR or bubble screen yet we don't do it very well. He really likes the short passing game. We still throw too much for my liking. I think the team is most effective when we are right about 20 passes a game.

I would like to see more power sets with a FB. Nothing wrong with that. You can still be multiple and run a lot of offense out of these formations.

Mark me up as one who is totally confused with the fans obsession over an offensive "identity". I just don't get it. We were a top 20 rushing attack in the country last year. We also have one of the best (if not the best) stable of WRs in the Big 10. Now, we had issues with injury at QB last year which limited our ability in the passing game. But, Bo and Beck want to establish the run using various versions of the option and power running with a dual threat QB. Then the passing game feeds off of that.

I have absolutely no problem with that plan.

I find this whole "identity" only becomes an issue when fans sit around drinking a beer and they get frustrated because they can't just say...."we run an option offense".

I feel like if we had a true identity, we'd be able to get into a rhythm more frequently. This team goes from big play score, to 3 and out, to 70 yard, 10 play drive, to 3 and out, back to a big play, throw in a turnover, then a 7 play, 11 yard drive, before another 3 and out, followed by...yada yada, yada. And the team/identity looks different with each possession? So are we shocked the offense operates so sporadically? No. But I think if there was an identity, a flow to the play calling - then we'd see more consistency, less turnovers, etc.

I don't what they run, as long as there is some consistency. An "identity" provides that...whatever it is.

What is it that our opponents look at our offense and say, "this is Nebraska, this is what they do..."

1124_SPO_IOWAVSNEBRASKA2012041.jpg

Ha Ha! Awesome!

I guess my case in point is games such as UCLA, Minn, if we start getting beat, all hell breaks lose and we have no identity to get us back on track. I do wonder if we start to eliminate turnovers what kind if effect that might have on us.

I fully believe we best MSU this year if we have even half the turnovers.

If only our offense could be as organized as our defense

This is what you call " trying to do too much". I've said it for years and will continue to say it. We do it on both sides of the ball, and until we stop, we won't ever be back on top. The offense and defense both improved once you started hearing the coaches say things like " we pared it down a bit". We " focused more on the fundamentals". You think there's a reason we hear this same sh#t year after year? We are hindered by a desire to be multiple.

• Fire 2

What is it that our opponents look at our offense and say, "this is Nebraska, this is what they do..."

1124_SPO_IOWAVSNEBRASKA2012041.jpg

Ha Ha! Awesome!

I guess my case in point is games such as UCLA, Minn, if we start getting beat, all hell breaks lose and we have no identity to get us back on track. I do wonder if we start to eliminate turnovers what kind if effect that might have on us.

I fully believe we best MSU this year if we have even half the turnovers.

I believe that as well. Bo and Co. know how to dismantle that Spartan defense.

I love when stats are thrown out on how we run a certain percentage, but how many of those rushing attempts are because we have the lead and are killing the clock? How many of those are the SAME FREAKING run in a row, like we are going to somehow confuse the defense into thinking we are going to do something different (Iowa game where Beck ran the same play twice, getting Ameer crushed in the backfield both times). How many of those are actually sack rushes? How many of those rushes are us running a zone read with RON KELLOGG THE III??!!! (slight sarcasm on it being a huge amount) UGH still irritates me seeing that crap!

That is the issue when throwing out those stats. IMO, we may run "enough" but we don't run the right plays. I don't mind throwing the ball, but why not more off the play action? Since we run the ball "very well", wouldn't this work more in our favor, forcing the Safeties to either commit and burn them, or visa versa?

We are multiple. If you call that an identity, then so be it. We should be a smash mouth football team, since we have the players to be just that.

1st down we run 2 yard gain, we abandon and throw the remaining downs. This is my whole issue with Beck. Maybe it will get better, but after last year and the year before, I am not holding my breathe. When things aren't going according to game plan, Beck folds.

• Fire 1

Good point. I certainly don't think Beck is a 700k a year coordinator. I believe he out thinks himself.

I don't believe he should be paid that much either. When he can run a consistent and better than an "average" offense, then I would think he deserves it. I will root for Beck this season to succeed and prove myself and everyone wrong. I do believe he will be that kind of coordinator, he just isn't right now.

IMO, our identity is panic. When we get behind, or a run fails, Beck goes pass happy. Michicken 3 years ago, UCLA in 2012, Minnie etc..... Beck was the passing coordinator at KU. It is what he knows and is comfortable with. I get that. In those games, we were still in it until we started slinging the rock like no ones business. If we had a Carr or Bridgewater back there, rock on. With the guys we have had, no thanks. We are not built to pass to win games.

IMO, if we want to pass, go with a power run attack and use play action. Makes the D crowd the box and opens up the passing game. The play action freezes the safeties again making the passing game more successful. I do not think we have a pocket QB on the roster. RGIII was the closet and a 5 year Sr who only saw the field as Martinez was injured.

Get great at something. Seek perfection in one facet of the game. Again, IMO, with the QB's on the roster. Passing isn't it. Don't quit until the D stops it. Be multiple in the formations and motions, not in the number and variety of plays.

IMO, our identity is panic. When we get behind, or a run fails, Beck goes pass happy. Michicken 3 years ago, UCLA in 2012, Minnie etc..... Beck was the passing coordinator at KU. It is what he knows and is comfortable with. I get that. In those games, we were still in it until we started slinging the rock like no ones business. If we had a Carr or Bridgewater back there, rock on. With the guys we have had, no thanks. We are not built to pass to win games.

Northwestern 2013 - 47 rushes, 21 passes

Wisconsin 2012 - 41 rushes, 28 passes (even though we averaged 1.4 ypc)

Northwestern 2012 - 44 rushes, 39 passes

Michigan State 2012 - 40 rushes, 36 passes

Even the games you mentioned:

Minnesota 2013 - 30 rushes, 30 passes

UCLA 2012 - 36 rushes, 31 passes

Michigan 2011 - 31 rushes, 23 passes

If we've been pretty steady at 60/40 and "panicking" is 50/50 (at worst) or 57/43, that's not a huge difference. There would be a decent argument for Minnesota but the problem wasn't the passes called, it was our receivers not catching them. To get UCLA 2012 back to our usual 60/40 split, we would have needed one more rushing call per quarter. Michigan 2011 would have been one more rush for the entire game.

There are times we could have run instead of passed but most guys wouldn't have called pass plays from our own one yard line in two dire situations. Beck did and both calls did a lot more to win those two games way more than calling too many passes lost the games you mentioned. If the play works, you look great. If it doesn't people question you. Just how it is.

• Fire 1