Schools Considering - or Actually - Cancelling Spring Games

I think in terms of an actual practice there isn't much to gain from it, but as others have said, it's a big recruiting day for us. Other than A&M, the other schools probably don't get a big turnout for their spring game so it doesn't provide the big wow factor that it does here and A&M has an easier time getting recruits on campus since they don't have to leave the state most of the time.

There would be riots if they canceled it here, after what it's become. We've averaged over 70k in attendance in Bo's tenure. It's not as much about the "game" as it is an excuse to get outside after a crap Nebraska winter.

I can see why Sumlin would say that about A&M - they have nice weather year around and don't revel in the return of Spring like we do here. Pittsburgh... who goes to their Spring Game anyway?

The recruiting weekend is important too. Kind of key to show off that our fans will fill the stadium for a practice more than other teams fans will fill theirs for an actual game.

But yes, I agree it is kind of a beginning of spring celebration as well.

I think that's a really good point, Junior. The Spring Game is often a recruiting tool for many teams, and canceling that hurts. I think there's a lot of value getting some kids here who may have challenging schedules in the fall.

Yeah, the game probably isn't that beneficial for some players, but I think the team can get out of it what they put into it. And it does have a lot to do with the fans, the people that are the fiscal reason our athletic department is so well funded. It may be a drag in some ways, but in a place like Nebraska and many other major DI programs, I think it's just something you gotta do.

It's about $$$$$$$$$. It always was and always will be. It really doesn't mean much as far as practice goes for the players. You do it for the Cash!!

Um......it used to be free.

I must have missed the free food and merchandise.

It's such an important tool for the fanbase that I don't think any serious program with an established spring game would do it. I mean, there's Pittsburgh and Boston College...and A&M, which is forced to skip it this year and just saying they'll be OK without one.

There's more to gain from it than you guys think.

Where else can you have a live scrimmage practice situation in front of 60,000+ fans to see how your young players respond in the spotlight? You can't duplicate that inside of Hawks.

you can but it would be awfully crowded lol

what I think teams should do if possible. Is have a scrimage with a local team. Or is that even possible via NCAA rules?

The spring game is a weird deal for me. It's kind of like preseason NFL ball, but with a longer wait between that game and real games that count. I do appreciate the thought of getting out of the house and enjoying the spring weather and shooting the crap with other Husker fans. But, by half, I am shot and ready to head for the door. I would actually rather go over to Haymarket for a good baseball game that day.

Baseball usually plays on that day, or has in the past. And the thought has occurred to me to go by the stadium for the vibe and then skip the game and go to the baseball thing.

Off topic a bit, but I think NFL preseason is the absolute worst. Why they haven't cut it down to 2 games is beyond me.

Off topic a bit, but I think NFL preseason is the absolute worst. Why they haven't cut it down to 2 games is beyond me.

It's about $$$$$$$$$. It always was and always will be. It really doesn't mean much as far as practice goes for the players. You do it for the Cash!!

I don't think the point of getting rid of it really applies to us....

we're one of the few places that pack the stadium during the spring game. it brings lots of revenue from an administrative standpoint, pretty obvious from a fan standpoint, and from a coaches point of view its a great way to show the fan base off to recruits. plus I think it gives you a unique look at your players and how they perform "under the lights" to a certain degree.

• Fire 1

Not if you turn the other two into regular season games and make even more $$$. But I doubt the NFLPA would ever allow it.