McKewon on Husker Offense

Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck will be a silent intrigue this spring football season.

He and the rest of NU’s assistants aren’t scheduled to talk to the media about team-related issues during spring football. That’s by coach Bo Pelini’s design. But Beck may be busier this spring than he’s been since 2011, when he took over gameplan design and playcalling duties from the departed Shawn Watson. That year, Beck had to install his attack and walk the roster through his philosophy. A reliance on pre-snap reads. An emphasis on quarterback and wide receivers symbiosis, on their ability to read a secondary the same (and right) way and adjust routes accordingly on-the-fly. A preference of no-huddle tempo. And perhaps most distinctively: A blend of power and spread sets.

In 2011 and 2012, Beck was building toward 2013, when he’d have a fifth-year quarterback in Taylor Martinez, an equally-experienced offensive line and a schedule friendly to big outputs and a Big Ten title run.

So, naturally, Martinez hurt his left foot, initiating the Mysterious Toe Ailment Months. The offensive line, for the fourth time in Pelini’s six years, got banged up beyond easy recognition. Jake Long spent much of the season recovering from injuries. Jamal Turner pulled a calf muscle. Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

OWH

Also gives his thoughts on possible changes to the Husker O.

Two passages that got my attention:

““We’re going to dial it back, be simpler,” Pelini said. “I think Tim continues to grow. We’re still going to be multiple. But we’re changing some things. We need to be more efficient.”

I’ve interviewed Pelini enough times to know not to take his buzz phrases — like “dial it back, be simpler” — so literally that the changes will be drastic or entirely noticeable.

--So here is the "I've changed things. It's obvious to smart people like me, not so much to stupid people like you" line that I've grown to love with Bo.

and

"Conservatism is not necessarily bland. A conservative offense can be the most complex; often, in fact, they are. But it’s an attack that mitigates risk by keeping the ball on the ground, cutting the field in half on passing plays (fewer options means fewer opportunities to throw to the wrong guy) and leaning, quite hard, on your offensive line. It’s more power football, efficiency as defined by third-down conversion rate and time of possession, and recruiting size at positions like wide receiver, where, on third-and-seven, you’d better have a giant who can catch the ball in traffic, because the whole stadium knows you’re throwing the ball."

-This is an important point for those who say that Nebraska doesn't run enough/is too multiple. Does Nebraska have that kind of WR? Or is Beck trying to hide some shortcomings with some seemingly frenetic playcalling? (I think Nebraska runs plenty, btw)

not a bad read all in all....

This is the "simplification" that was such a discussion last year:

“Instead of running 10 plays five times (in practice), it’s five plays 10 times,” Beck said. “We’re better at it. They seemed more confident (Saturday) because we were doing what we practiced.”

Not fewer plays in the playbook, necessarily. Just fewer plays in each game plan.

“Instead of running 10 plays five times (in practice), it’s five plays 10 times,” Beck said. “We’re better at it. They seemed more confident (Saturday) because we were doing what we practiced.”

Yes. The more I hear of this, the happier Husker I am. We keep doing this, and maybe even more so running the same plays 15 times, we will be better on both sides of the ball. Repitition. Comfort in knowing your job. Each person executing as if it were a natural tendency, not a thought process. These things are the basis of college football. I'm not a coach, but I truly believe that. Multiplicity is over rated, to the point where Beck literally out thinks himself sometimes. I've been saying all of these things since his first season here, and I've been proven correct. I'm just glad to hear these guys saying it. Don't be afraid to carry part of last weeks game plan to the next week Beck. If it works, it works. Establish something and build on it. We shouldn't be saying these things this far into the game, but we all knew it was going to be a process with tis staff.

I am at least happy to say these coaches may be learning and getting better.

• Fire 2

Not fewer plays in the playbook, necessarily. Just fewer plays in each game plan.

I like it. If they can really hammer in the fundamentals on each play, can we expect to see fewer errors and better ball security?

Edit: What True said.

Haha. Was commenting on the same quote. Either way, like you said, the playbook could shrink or expand. It's really based though on the theory of actually "starting somewhere", establishing what your personnel does well, and building on it. By the time you're done, you may have built a dynasty. It doesn't always happen immediately. You move at the speed your team is capable of moving, you don't move your team at the speed you wish to operate. Give them a drink with a water hose, not a firehose type of thing.

I get really pumped when I hear these coaches evolving. Especially Beck though, because I'm not gonna lie, I think he can be good, but more than that, the guys he has out there to execute this offense are just ultra talented in my opinion. We have a lot of good ball players on both sides of the ball this year guys. It's exciting. Throw in that I think we have a field general in Tommy Armstrong, and it's hard to not think big things for the offense this year.

That's where Beck will have to contain himself. When things start clicking, he puts down the throttle.....MORE MORE MORE! When in actuality, he needs to fall in love with what they are doing, make them do it better, then, maybe you add a few twists. Run a few plays based off those things. It's a chess match. Fact is, if all else fails, you got Ameer Abdullah. So if the things you tried to add don't go over so well in a game situation........hand the rock to Ameer and for Gods sake O-line open a lane and let the kid carry the team is he has to. No doubt he can with Cross, Newby, and Taylor as backups. We should fear nothing in the run game.

To me the simplifying approach is directly in response to Michigan St. Build a championship D and don't turn the ball over on offense. Saying we will be multiple has more to do with a running quarterback than it has to do with throwing it 25 times. IMO.

Exactly - too often I feel like the offense and defense are disconnected. The D has a tough 11 play drive that ends in a touchdown - they walk to the sideline gassed and down. Beck goes pass-pass-pass and 30 seconds later they're back out there, with crappy field position to defend. The two sides are only as effective as the other allows them to be. (Which makes the 2009 D all the more dominant.)

• Fire 1

Sounds good. I'm excited to watch someone other than Martinez for an entire season . . . Martinez was absolutely electric at times but he was probably the most frustrating player in my time as a Husker fan.

Which Husker QB's of the last decade or so weren't frustrating? Just Ganz and Taylor IMO.

Simplification and expertise are good. Can't hurt.

But our turnovers weren't the result of a complicated offense or trick play calling. We just dropped the ball or missed the target.

Some critics seem to remember a whole bunch of times where Beck went "pass-pass-pass" for a quick three and out, but it didn't happen that often and probably no more than many successful offenses that misfire the exact same way a handful of times each season.

Yes. The more I hear of this, the happier Husker I am. We keep doing this, and maybe even more so running the same plays 15 times, we will be better on both sides of the ball. Repitition. Comfort in knowing your job. Each person executing as if it were a natural tendency, not a thought process. These things are the basis of college football. I'm not a coach, but I truly believe that. Multiplicity is over rated, to the point where Beck literally out thinks himself sometimes. I've been saying all of these things since his first season here, and I've been proven correct. I'm just glad to hear these guys saying it. Don't be afraid to carry part of last weeks game plan to the next week Beck. If it works, it works. Establish something and build on it. We shouldn't be saying these things this far into the game, but we all knew it was going to be a process with tis staff.

I am at least happy to say these coaches may be learning and getting better.

Never thought I'd say this... +1 to you.

• Fire 1