Can Bo get it done

Can Bo get "it" done  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is undoubtedly a wonderful thing, but is very odd we are like acting Bo Pelini and Nebraska are the only teams that do this. There are several foundations that pair ill kids and fans to athletic teams. Real Sports on HBO did a huge, very good story on this last year.

I would even go as far as to say that the next coach at Nebraska would likely do something like this. And if Bo Pelini jumps a reporters question or has another public tirade, no one is going to care about that clip much. Just like how they don't now.

And when Bo blows up Twitter (and takes attention away from the National Championship game) no one is going to care about his blow up at Iowa, or a 2 year old tape. Well... except for some.

This is undoubtedly a wonderful thing, but is very odd we are like acting Bo Pelini and Nebraska are the only teams that do this. There are several foundations that pair ill kids and fans to athletic teams. Real Sports on HBO did a huge, very good story on this last year.

I would even go as far as to say that the next coach at Nebraska would likely do something like this. And if Bo Pelini jumps a reporters question or has another public tirade, no one is going to care about that clip much. Just like how they don't now.

And when Bo blows up Twitter (and takes attention away from the National Championship game) no one is going to care about his blow up at Iowa, or a 2 year old tape. Well... except for some.

Bo's funniness on twitter or his treatment of Jack Hoffman have approximately a 0.000032% of saving his job if he performs below expectations in 2014. Funny how they always get brought up as reasons for him to stay around though.

It's no coincidence that the posters here who have a vastly negative view of the state of the program "only hear bad things" about NU, while everyone else does not.

Confirmation bias.

bingo

Confirmation bias refers to the tendency to selectively search for and consider information that confirms one's beliefs. Everyone struggles with this... no matter what the predisposed position might be. I'd have to think at some level this will be true for Bo-leavers and Bo-lievers alike.

That said, the comments I hear are reported as I hear them... one might contend that I latch onto more fully those comments that I concur with... probably a little. But still, that NU's coach is negatively viewed and that this reality hurts NU's reputation is a fact that extends well beyond one man's anecdotal experience. Now ... those who fail to see how Bo impacts NU's reputation are perhaps expressing a conformation bias.

I'm curious what area of the country you are gleaning this "everyone thinks negative about NU/Bo" from. Because my experiences in SEC/ACC country don't even begin to line up with yours.

Bo's funniness on twitter or his treatment of Jack Hoffman have approximately a 0.000032% of saving his job if he performs below expectations in 2014. Funny how they always get brought up as reasons for him to stay around though.

So is it wins & losses, or personalty? It keeps changing.

• Fire 1

No it hasn't.

Win something of substance.

Don't be a horses ass.

• Fire 4

No it hasn't.

Win something of substance.

Don't be a horses ass.

We know that's not true.

In this very thread it's been stated that "it's not just about wins and losses" and also "winning gives you a bigger leash" (paraphrasing).

Who seriously cares all that much what other people think about our coach?

They're outsiders with outsider "knowledge" and ignorance. They don't know jack sh#t.

We don't care how the program looks to people outside of its "sphere"? This is odd.

They're outsiders with outsider "knowledge" and ignorance. They don't know jack sh#t.

We don't care how the program looks to people outside of its "sphere"? This is odd.

Depends entirely who it is. CU, KSU, and MU (and to a lesser extent, Iowa) fans have hated everything about Nebraska for as long as I can remember. They denigrated our program, players, coaches, and fans. Should we give two sh#ts what they think?

Why do you care? It's an honest question.

If people think well of us great. If they don't, 99% of the time it's either because of an irrational bias that isn't going to be changed by a nicer coach or PR campaign, or it's because they aren't educated on the matter whatsoever and decided to form an opinion based on a 10 second video clip or negative article written by a hack journalist, so who cares? They're going to think what they're going to think.

I didn't bring it up as a reason to keep him, but to rebut your assertion that anyone who hears positive info about Bo has confirmation bias. Bo is constantly doing things to improve his image, and the program's image. It's the Bo-leavers that bring up his actions "hurt[ing] NU's reputation" (that's a quote from you) as reasons to get rid of him. I'm sorry, I didn't realize rebutting your argument is bringing up his reputation as a reason to keep him. I guess I'll just have to let you get on your soapbox and let us know that your cousin's-friend's-step-brother's-wife's-sister didn't like how Bo made a mean face on the sidelines during a game.

• Fire 1

In this very thread it's been stated that "it's not just about wins and losses" (paraphrasing).

I would agree with this, but I can't speak for anybody else.

I'd be happy with a coach who totally 'gets it' but wins less than Bo. Although I do think that hypothetical coach too, would eventually get replaced in favor of someone who also gets it, but wins more. If NU wants to remain an elite program, the latter part of that is necessary.

The bottom line for me is I think of this program as a unique and special one in all of college football in ways not even related to winning, and I like having a coach we can all be proud of. Not one for whom we're always saying, "But that was ____ (period of time) ago, can't you drop it already?" and "Oh, who cares how he looks to the public eye." So, that comes first.

Depends entirely who it is. CU, KSU, and MU (and to a lesser extent, Iowa) fans have hated everything about Nebraska for as long as I can remember. They denigrated our program, players, coaches, and fans. Should we give two sh#ts what they think?

I would say it's more the personality of the fan, regardless of who they are. This will illicit several "Bah buffs fans can't read" jokes (which I support), but it's been my experience that the reasonable, non Nebraska fan, regardless of affiliation has this to say about Nebraska.

"Man, it's too bad you guys can't get back to your level. College football is better when Nebraska matters".

No mention of "hey, another 9 win season! What an accomplishment!" Every once in a great while a "man is the Suh guy really such a jerk?" A lot of "what's the deal with your coach?" when he has one of his moments, but that's it. Nebraska does not factor into the land of relevant discussion a lot out here. That can be attributed to me living smack in the heart of PAC-12 country, but they were kind of a good conference last year.

And I think that's closer to the truth of what most think about Nebraska, not these random feel good pr stories that get great play in the Plains.

• Fire 2

The bottom line for me is I think of this program as a unique and special one in all of college football in ways not even related to winning, and I like having a coach we can all be proud of. Not one for whom we're always saying, "But that was ____ (period of time) ago, can't you drop it already?" and "Oh, who cares how he looks to the public eye." So, that comes first.

I'm proud of our coach. Period.

• Fire 3